The AM Forum
May 04, 2024, 08:08:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Amateur Service - FCC Bureau - Changes in the Works  (Read 8211 times)
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« on: March 14, 2006, 01:28:36 PM »

From the ARRL News, March 14, on their Home Page:

When the FCC meets in open session Friday, March 17, it will consider an Order--as yet not made public--to create a new Public Safety and Homeland Security Bureau. Observers anticipate that this new bureau will take over at least some of the functions of the current Wireless Telecommunications Bureau (WTB), which administers the Amateur Service. The last changes affecting the functions of the WTB occurred in 2003. While the reorganization has been several months in the planning, it's not yet clear whether the Amateur Service will remain under WTB or become part of the new Public Safety and Homeland Security Bureau. Moving it out of the WTB would take the Amateur Service from under that bureau's market-based approach to regulation. Either way, it's hoped that shifting some of the current WTB's responsibilities to the new bureau will speed the process of moving proceedings through the Commission.

Maybe the future will bring more emphasis on “service” rather than on “hobby”.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2006, 04:54:46 PM »

Pete said:
Maybe the future will bring more emphasis on “service” rather than on “hobby”.

It will all depend on who holds the purse strings!

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2006, 05:48:51 PM »

This line worries me a bit:
"Moving it out of the WTB would take the Amateur Service from under that bureau's market-based approach to regulation."
"Public Safety and Homeland Security Bureau" sounds like a very focused area. I wouldn't want the Amateur Radio Service in roll into something like, "you can't get on the air unless you're trying to save or help somebody".
I guess time will tell.

Art
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2006, 07:05:07 PM »

"Maybe the future will bring more emphasis on “service” rather than on “hobby”."

It makes sense to communicate that the hobby facilitates service capability. 'will send off an email and see what happens.

-ap
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2006, 10:03:05 PM »

The FCC re-organises itself every few years - kinda like the little old lady who periodically moves the furniture around.  Before the WTB amateur radio was administered by the Private Radio Bureau, remember?  I doubt if we'll see any real change in FCC policy.

The name "Public Safety and Homeland Security Bureau" has an ominous ring to it.  Hope amateur radio won't be affected by a bunch of homeland security BS and paranoia.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
WA3VJB
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2006, 10:44:49 AM »

You're right, Don, that's all we need is for the ARRL to strike a Memo of Understanding with the warrantless Department of Homeland Security so only the "properly credentialed" hams can get on the air when they turn the terror alert color code to fuschia, and the League gets to play with all the federally funded toy radios they've bought, encrypted of course.

Then we will all have to dress up in our best hobby clothing:

Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2006, 11:40:29 AM »

The FCC re-organises itself every few years - kinda like the little old lady who periodically moves the furniture around.  Before the WTB amateur radio was administered by the Private Radio Bureau, remember?  I doubt if we'll see any real change in FCC policy.

The name "Public Safety and Homeland Security Bureau" has an ominous ring to it.  Hope amateur radio won't be affected by a bunch of homeland security BS and paranoia.

I poked around the FCC web site but could not find any additional info other than the Meeting Notice on 3/17. You concern is probably not unwarranted; "Public Safety and Homeland Security" notions are finding their way into a lot of activities plus Amateur Service got good reviews in the "Katrina report". I suspect this is just the tip of the iceberg. Ten years or less from now, ham radio probably will not look like "grandpa's ham radio".

Also, here's more info on ham radio public safety activities:
http://www.remote.arrl.org/news/stories/2006/03/09/4/?nc=1

And:
http://www.remote.arrl.org/news/stories/2006/03/13/2/?nc=1

Art
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2006, 12:21:23 PM »

"The FCC re-organises itself every few years - kinda like the little old lady who periodically moves the furniture around. "

Yep, the Coast Guard did this when I was in . . . 'went from the dept of treasury to the dept of transportation . . . now to the dept of homeland security . . .  we thought we would go from a shield on our arm to a wheel . . . now maybe a quad-split shield on an eagle . . . the Guard didn't change much though from my perspective and neither did the uniform . . 'course I didn't exactly have a global view either . . .

supplementing the amateur service with additional capabilities and support, when amateur radio steps up anyway, would be a good thing. The Salvation Army was well represented in the aftermath of the hurricanes and would make an excellent medium for getting the job done . . . the Red Cross too . . . both provided service to affected areas but didn't use it as a promo op . . maybe they should have . . if ya walk the walk, talking the talk is a good thing . . . at any rate there were ops ready to deploy that didn't have the right gear . . this might be a mechanism to fix that . .  encrypted? . . . maybe not necessary . .  if you are trying to pull a displaced family back together or get meds for a diabetic, security is less important than speed, accuracy, and effectiveness . . .

-ap

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015