The AM Forum
April 26, 2024, 07:08:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Indestructable" Transmitter ??  (Read 33518 times)
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2006, 09:28:13 PM »

Hi Qixie,
            I think you got me confused with the other Bacon, he is Bacon light, I am the "Slab Babon wit the fat meat shakin" all 270 lbs. I have never gotten off of the air, I was on last night till around 2:00 am. I am still very active on the air (unlike the "other" Bacon) (Hee Hee). We have worked many times and I have always complimented you on your signal strength. See, if you were on the air more, you would know who I am. Everybody else does!

Funny, you should mention the snowless winter, It has been the same down here, I was just out cleaning out the garage. I just put the snow blowers away in the back shed and brought out the summer implements of destruction. It was near 89 deg down here today. It has me itching for a good long motorcycle ride!!!

The Slab Bacon has become a pen name that I have taken, but that is another long story.

The Slab Bacon 

Wow, now I'm COMPLETELY confused :-).  I'm on the air often, but I don't know at all who you are by that
alias :-).   I certainly was confusing you with the "other" Bacon!!  Sorry about that.  I'm sure I know who you
are by call and not by "handle".   Cheesy

Talk later!

Regards,

Steve

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
WA1GFZ

« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2006, 10:56:38 PM »

Good deal Bud,
My '88 Chev. 2500 would have had the same miles if some moron didn't rear end it at 145K right after the first major tune up. Timing chain, water pump and radiator.
That was a good year for trucks.

The Slab Bacon

« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2006, 11:07:17 AM »

Budley, That sounds like my old '88 ford ranger! I had almost 250K on it whan I sold it. I put it in the local paper and sold it to the first caller for the full asking price!
I loved that little truck, it was the absolute epitome of reliability.

Come on, Qixie, I find it very difficult to believe that you dont know who I am! You are just about the only one of the major players from the northeast who doesnt know me by that name. See, you should have been around for more of those rapid-fire break-in sessions on friday and saturday evenings!!! I'll give you 2 hints, 1 I live in Baltimore, and 2 look around on this bulletin board!

The Slab Bacon

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2006, 02:46:55 PM »

Come on, Qixie, I find it very difficult to believe that you dont know who I am! You are just about the only one of the major players from the northeast who doesnt know me by that name. See, you should have been around for more of those rapid-fire break-in sessions on friday and saturday evenings!!! I'll give you 2 hints, 1 I live in Baltimore, and 2 look around on this bulletin board!

The Slab Bacon

Yeah, I figured it out right after the post.  I do miss out on many of the evening QSOs.  I'm usually not able to get on the air between 5:30 or so
and about 9:30 or 10:00.  I still have relatively young children, so I'm generally with the family between those hours... and my wife and I seem to go
out on many Friday and Saturday evenings.  I hear about it the next day, however  Wink

Hey, isn't that part of the "Amateur's Code" - The Amateur never lets his job, family or social obligations interfere with Amateur Radio!! Guess
I'm violating it!

Talk later and Regards,

Steve

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
WA1GFZ

« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2006, 06:32:30 PM »

Hey Frank, I like to cook wop food too...but do you like pickled egg plant.
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2006, 08:18:25 PM »

Ahhh Slab.... I had an '82 Ranger (first year) and put 281K on it. Then donated it to a Church Farm and it's still haulin' corn to market fer 'em.

This 300 inline 6 cyl. in the '88 just keeps runnin'. Gas, oil, air n tires !!

Oh, BTW, Steve, I'll be lookin' forward to the new transmitter !!!

steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2006, 08:35:24 PM »

Ahhh Slab.... I had an '82 Ranger (first year) and put 281K on it. Then donated it to a Church Farm and it's still haulin' corn to market fer 'em.

This 300 inline 6 cyl. in the '88 just keeps runnin'. Gas, oil, air n tires !!

Oh, BTW, Steve, I'll be lookin' forward to the new transmitter !!!

I love the inline 6!

Sorry to the group if I went off on a long winded monolog about this stuff.  I type *way* too fast
for my own good  Embarrassed  Open keyboard, insert foot?  Face to face communication is the best.

This solid state project has been going on for over 20 years for me, so as you can imagine, there was quite
a feeling of yes Yes YES when things started coming together and really working  Cheesy

I gave up and walked away many times (once for more than 3 years)... so there have been frustrations
as well as joys.

Thanks for the understanding.

Regards,

Steve

wa1knx
Contributing

« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2006, 11:23:09 PM »

Hi Steve,
            Nice work. I look forward to seeing your xmtr when I get back east.
And hearing the tape of you and me doing a PWM to PWM qso with my
100w fet rig around 82-83, fun times. btw my very first fet rig was a VN67AF, around
1980. pushed out a whopping 5 watts. Keep up the great work Steve, you
put E  into mainstream. btw, I was very very impressed with the work and
accomplishments that brent has done, when I saw his big fet rig. that is quite
a project he did.

Deano!

am forever!
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2006, 07:54:24 AM »

Steve, We have all had that feeling of frustration on a project, I have had some that frustrated me so bad that I was ready to reach for the can of gasoline and a match.
Then the light goes on, you find the answer that you are looking for,,, You throw your hands up in the air and scream "God likes me!!". We have all been there one time or another. It is just fun to take a poke at somebody once in a while.

Bud and Steve, we have gotten well over 300k out of Fords 300cid 6's in company trucks. One of the best utility engines they ever produced. It is a shame that they dont make them any more!!!!!!

Frank, I can cook dago food every bit as well as I build transmitters! It is a labor of love, you know, I think it is something in the blood or something! I put the proof in the eating, especially every year for the party! 

AND, UH, FURTHERMORE, I FRIGGIN LOVE PICKLED EGGPLANT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I dont make it very often because my wife doesnt like it, and it is too much of a pain in the ass to make for just 1 person. My mom used to make pickled eggplant to die for!
Now, lets talk about some holiday octopuss and squid salad..............................

The Slab Bacon

WA1GFZ

« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2006, 09:09:52 AM »

We plan to do a jar this hostraders again. My buddy also does peppers.
My Dad just gave me a jar when I cleared his driveway from snow last big storm and xyl also does not like it. (Her family from up north)

My buddy just got the procedure. I'm still working on my dad to write his down.

The Slab Bacon

« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2006, 09:32:45 AM »

We plan to do a jar this hostraders again. My buddy also does peppers.
My Dad just gave me a jar when I cleared his driveway from snow last big storm and xyl also does not like it. (Her family from up north)

That is almost enough incentive for me to drive up there!  The hell with radio, it sounds like we need to get together for a good old fashioned dago food festival.
The "special event station" would be the kitchen. And the "operating position" would be the dining room table. Now, where is that bottle of dago red............................

The Slab Bacon

The Slab Bacon

« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2006, 09:52:24 AM »

Damn it, Frank, I am sitting at my desk here at work tasting friggin pickled eggplant!!!!

Now, lets see,

Day 1
Peel, slice and salt eggplant
stack salted slices on pan and weight down.
set aside overnight.

Day 2
Boil slices of eggplant in red wine vinegar and set aside to drain and dry slightly
Stack slices in storage jar:
EVOO, eggplant, sliced fresh garlic, red pepper flakes, oregano, EVOO
Repeat layers till jar is almost full
be sure to keep covered with EVOO

Yumm Yumm
I cant friggin stand it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Slab Bacon

WA1GFZ

« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2006, 10:58:01 AM »

Now my mouth is watering. I know what I'm going to eat as soon as I get home. I have about 1/4 a jar left.

TNX for the schematic. My Dad throws some other spices in I need to twist his arm.
Sounds like the procedure my sister talked about. fc
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2006, 01:04:36 PM »

Oh, yea, forgot the nice fresh crusty loaf of itralian bread and a nice glass of dago red.
Maybe a nice hunk of some good sharp provolone.......................................

Ahhhhhh....................... Life is good!!!!!!

WA1GFZ

« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2006, 02:16:18 PM »

I'm kicking myself now that you mention cheese. I built a couple dagwoods after loading fire wood yesterday and forgot to put some egg plant on it what an idiot.

I'll make up for it when I get home tonight.....Sorry you have none to go home to Frank. Hop a plane and I'll share it with you. You have till 6 or we will need to take a ride to Dad's and shake him down for another jar.......
WA1GFZ

« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2006, 06:24:25 PM »

Frank,
My sister thought you only boil in the vinegar for a few minutes.
I saved you a couple hunks.
I walked into the house changed and made a bee line to the Jar.
XYL asked what was my problem eating just before dinner.
Northerners just don't understand...ah the after taste.
now to butter up Dad for another jar.....when I return his empty.

The Slab Bacon

« Reply #41 on: March 14, 2006, 07:34:57 AM »

Frank,
         Your sister is right you only boil it for a few minutes.

Yea, my wife is the same way. they just dont understand. Better be good to pop if you want that jar refilled!!

It has been a looooong time since I have made them. I'm gonna have to make some after the party. You have got me craving that stuff. My mom used to make it all the time, but age has caught up to her and she cant do it anymore. I guess its now my turn to make some and share it with her. She loves it is much as I do.

Its not that hard to make, just friggin time consuming.

You know, its that dago thing!
                                                       The Slab Bacon

Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« Reply #42 on: March 14, 2006, 08:32:40 AM »

[Hey, isn't that part of the "Amateur's Code" - The Amateur never lets his job, family or social obligations interfere with Amateur Radio!! Guess
I'm violating it!

Talk later and Regards,

Steve

Steve,
        I thought the "Amateur's Code" was to never let family or social obligations get in the way of a good "Strap Session" on the radio!

"The Amateur is well balanced. He spends his time equally between trying to increase his antenna efficency, getting more carrier output, and making his munky schwing"

Good talking to you on 160M the other night and hope to catch you in there again soon.

Best Regards,
                  Joe Cro N3IBX

Joe Cro N3IBX

Anything that is Breadboarded,Black Crackle, or that squeals when you tune it gives me MAJOR WOOD!
WA1GFZ

« Reply #43 on: March 14, 2006, 08:36:39 AM »

Frank,
My first grade buddy WA1EWQ just got the procedure and made a batch. He usually brings a jar to hostraders to go with stuff we cook on the grill.
I need to get some ball jars. Yea, we need another big snow storm so I can return the empty and hope Dad has another spare. 
My GM used to make a pile of it when she was around.   fc
Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« Reply #44 on: March 14, 2006, 08:40:10 AM »

Oh, yea, forgot the nice fresh crusty loaf of itralian bread and a nice glass of dago red.
Maybe a nice hunk of some good sharp provolone.......................................

Ahhhhhh....................... Life is good!!!!!!

With all the talk going on between the two Franks over GOOD food, my tastebuds are having multiple orgasms! If it smells like sharp provolone, I don't wanna leave it alone!
Joe Cro N3IBX

Joe Cro N3IBX

Anything that is Breadboarded,Black Crackle, or that squeals when you tune it gives me MAJOR WOOD!
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #45 on: March 14, 2006, 08:46:05 AM »

Life is far too short for cheap domestic provolone!!!!!!!!!!

real men eat the real thing!!!

The Slab Bacon

WA1GFZ

« Reply #46 on: March 14, 2006, 08:47:45 AM »

OK Joe XYL gave me the last hunk of cheese left over from her making chicken and only have a few more hunks of egg plant. Maybe we need to talk about transmitters now. Poor Frank is going to be importing egg plant to cure his jones.

Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« Reply #47 on: March 14, 2006, 09:03:48 AM »

OK Joe XYL gave me the last hunk of cheese left over from her making chicken and only have a few more hunks of egg plant. Maybe we need to talk about transmitters now. Poor Frank is going to be importing egg plant to cure his jones.

Frank,
        Ever since I was an infant I LOVED the sharpest cheese you could put in front of me. My parents couldn't have a hunk of "Locatelli" around the house because I'd eat it - ungrated, of course. Even after repeated reprimands; I'd still go for the cheese. My parents told me I'd get "worms" if I ate it whole and that (somewhat) cured me. My father then learned that he'd have to grate the whole hunk so I wouldn't eat it. I'd just put my spoon in the jar and go for it greated!

If you want to try something really different and delectable with provolone, try grilling it up in a frying pan with a little olive oil and serve it up whole. It's a real culinary experience!!!! I personally like the burnt parts the best!

As we used to say:

Acqua fresca
Vino puro
Fica streeta
Con u gotz duro

Beautiful women,good food and pure wine, amd I'm not going to elaborate on what else the above means - hi!

BTW, I think "Da Slab Bacon" needs an eggplant (gagootz) fix!

Best Regards,
                  Joe N3IBX

Joe Cro N3IBX

The Slab Bacon

« Reply #48 on: March 14, 2006, 09:32:01 AM »

Joe,
      Panne fresca, vino buono............................................

My parents told me that if I did something else (Hee Hee) I would go blind.
I told them that I was only going to do it till I needed glasses!!!!!!!!!

Frank,
        I WILL be making eggplant for easter! To go along with the dago fish and octopuss salad.  Remember, if it smells like fish it must be delish!!!!!

Real men have garlic and olive oil in their veins, and dont mind walking arond with it on their breath!!!!!!!!!

The Slab Bacon

WA1GFZ

« Reply #49 on: March 14, 2006, 09:43:47 AM »

I take 2 garlic tabs each day. The fresh stuff when I'm outside, keeps the bugs off me.
olive oil goes with everything.
Easter my GM would make calzone with ham, hot sausage, egg and cheese.
Mt uncle still makes it. I need that procedure too.
You were very lucky to get a second helping.....I was oldest grandson so rank has....
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015