The AM Forum
May 03, 2024, 07:24:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Zippo" - My kind of American Company!  (Read 14653 times)
Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« on: February 28, 2006, 04:35:58 PM »

Hello All,
           Even though the topic is unrelated to radio, I thought it may be of interest to a few.

Two weeks ago, the trusty Zippo lighter I've been using since the seventies finally "bit the bullet" and the top case seperated from it's hinge. I knew I've had it for a very long time and requested Zippo date the lighter for me. They told me each Zippo lighter has a date code. My lighter was made in 1977. After 29 years of service I felt it didn't owe me anything.

I sent the lighter back to Zippo two weeks ago, and their replacement arrived today. They installed a new hinge on my old case, and gave me an entire new lighter "insert" lighter mechanism, along with two new Zippo branded flints. All FREE of charge. I've heard about the Zippo lifetime guaranty, but until now have never been able to take them up on their promise to make good. They sent along letter explaining the lighter mechanism and hinge are covered for life, but not the case. I'm not complaining and still have the original case I've had since 1977.

I guess there are three things that have stood the test of time: Harley Davidson motorcycles, T-368 transmitters and Zippo lighters.

You just can't beat an American classic!

Joe Cro N3IBX

Anything that is Breadboarded,Black Crackle, or that squeals when you tune it gives me MAJOR WOOD!
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2006, 04:48:53 PM »

Joe said:
I've heard about the Zippo lifetime guaranty, but until now have never been able to take them up on their promise to make good.

While a young pup tearing up the back streets in Europe, a well known fact amoungst us swabbies is that you could get anything[/i] you wanted with a Zippo lighter. They traded better than greenbacks for the reason you stated. No questions asked,  lifetime guarantee. Boy, them were the days Wink

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
John Holotko

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2006, 05:02:44 PM »

I have several old Zippo's including one from the early 1980's, 2 from the 1970's and 1 from the 1950's.  Although I rarely smoke I still find the Zippo's great and reliable anytime a source of flame is needed. A freiend of mine who is a skier say's that windproof Zippo's are the best skiing lighters available.

I like to carry mine along whenever I go to a bar or a niteclub. The scenario ?? An attractive  female asks me for a light. Next thing she hears is that distinctive click of the Zippo as I flip the case and present that nice shiny flaming Zippo for her to light her cigarette. Then just as quickly I flip it in my hand, click is shut and it dissapears into my pocket. So much more classy and elegant than presenting her with a match or one of those cheap, disposably butanes.

N2IZE<br /><br />Because infinity comes in different sizes.
Tom WA3KLR
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2006, 05:31:52 PM »

Hey lounge lizards,

Zippo's CFO is your new Atlantic Division Director!

I've never been a smoker, but I too have a Zippo lighter.  I acquired it in the Air Force in 1971 while cleaning a dayroom one day in our squadron barracks.

Have any of you Zippo technologists ever had a flaming pocket?

73 de Tom WA3KLR  AMI # 77   Amplitude Modulation - a force Now and for the Future!
Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2006, 07:06:53 PM »

I have several old Zippo's including one from the early 1980's, 2 from the 1970's and 1 from the 1950's.  Although I rarely smoke I still find the Zippo's great and reliable anytime a source of flame is needed. A freiend of mine who is a skier say's that windproof Zippo's are the best skiing lighters available.

I like to carry mine along whenever I go to a bar or a niteclub. The scenario ?? An attractive  female asks me for a light. Next thing she hears is that distinctive click of the Zippo as I flip the case and present that nice shiny flaming Zippo for her to light her cigarette. Then just as quickly I flip it in my hand, click is shut and it dissapears into my pocket. So much more classy and elegant than presenting her with a match or one of those cheap, disposably butanes.

John,
       Ah yes! And then there's that aroma of "Ronsonol" lighter fluid. Manly? Yes, but enjoyed by a woman too!

Joe Cro N3IBX

Anything that is Breadboarded,Black Crackle, or that squeals when you tune it gives me MAJOR WOOD!
WA3VJB
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2006, 07:59:36 PM »

I found a Zippo lighter in the sand at a 1968 beach party for my little brother who turned 5. This was great contraband, even if I didn't plan to smoke.  Eventually landed a can of Ronsonol (that yellow and blue with the flip top squirter) and learned the properties of expanding liquid as I overfilled the thing and it leaked, causing a nasty rash on my thigh where I had it hidden in my pocket.

Excellent for lighting firecrackers because of its "windproof" grill, the burst from the fuse rarely put out the flame. Moreover, it seremed to handle continuous duty very well,  demonstrated by lighting old road flares we found, broken, without the fusee.

I still have it somewhere.

Eventually had to send it back to Zippo many years after I found it, and they too put a new tack weld on the hinge, put a new flint in there, and tucked two new flints under the felt topping over the cotton fiber that contained the lighter fluid.

Great company.
Herb K2VH

Pennsylvanian shaking hands with Yankee

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2006, 09:00:02 AM »

I guess there are three things that have stood the test of time: Harley Davidson motorcycles, T-368 transmitters and Zippo lighters.

Don't forget BC-610s, Joe.  BTW, I have about half a dozen Zippos from the 50s and 60s--my dad's, my grandfather's, and mine (when I smoked).  Several of them have been sent home to Mother Zippo for a diaper change, no charge, and always worked like a brand new puppy afterwards.

K2 Very Happy (with Zippo)

K2VHerb
First licensed in 1954 as KN2JVM  
On AM since 1955;on SSB since 1963

"Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar."
--Edward R. Murrow
W4LTM
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2006, 09:23:59 AM »

"Made in America" with John Ratzenberger did a great episode on the Zippo factory last year.  A good portion of the show was about the lady that takes in the damaged Zippo's for evaluation and replacement. They went through the entire process and then talked about the history of the company.

I do enjoy that show when I have the time to watch it.
Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2006, 10:22:41 AM »

Don't forget BC-610s, Joe.  BTW, I have about half a dozen Zippos from the 50s and 60s--my dad's, my grandfather's, and mine (when I smoked).  Several of them have been sent home to Mother Zippo for a diaper change, no charge, and always worked like a brand new puppy afterwards.

K2 Very Happy (with Zippo)

Dear VH with Zippos,
                            I couldn't agree with you more! As a matter of fact if it weren't for BC-610's we all might be speaking another language and well as the rest of Europe! Ditto with ART-13's and especially BC-375's, etc. They all passed the test of time. This may not be true today, but not too long ago I doubt there was a Ham alive that didn't have at least one part of a BC-375 and it's tuning assemblies incorporated into something in their Hamshack!
Best Regards,
                 Joe (Very Happy with Yankee ingenuity) Cro,
                                                                               N3IBX

Joe Cro N3IBX

KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2006, 12:51:39 PM »

RIP Zippo Canada..... The plant on Stanley Ave, Niagara Falls has been closed down. They had a billboard showing The Instrument in operation. It was done in tastefull Neon that was heavenly in its brillance.
     In my younger days I tended bar. The Zippo was used as intended. I found that if the lady touched your hand when you lit her cig, you had a very good chance of getting what was needed.... The plant in Bradford, Pa. lives..    klc

What? Me worry?
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2006, 01:01:58 PM »

Hey lounge lizards,
Have any of you Zippo technologists ever had a flaming pocket?

Summer of 69 in a club in Ortley Beach, NJ. Filled (or overfilled) the Zippo before I went out. Moving through the summer dancing crowd to get to the bar, I flicked the Zippo in the pocket (have no clue why). Right side of the polyester bells, including the pocket, burst into flame. Became an instant hit on the dance floor as I jumped around trying to put it out. My 30 second instant fame (or flame) at the Jersey shore in 1969.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2006, 01:40:36 PM »

RIP Zippo Canada..... The plant on Stanley Ave, Niagara Falls has been closed down. They had a billboard showing The Instrument in operation. It was done in tastefull Neon that was heavenly in its brillance.
     In my younger days I tended bar. The Zippo was used as intended. I found that if the lady touched your hand when you lit her cig, you had a very good chance of getting what was needed.... The plant in Bradford, Pa. lives..    klc

Yes, a very good indicator, indeed!  Grin

The Zippo name is so good, I'll bet if they ever went fully out of business in the USA, an Asian [probably Chinese] company would pick up the name and use it for marketing their "replicas". This is a common ploy these days.

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2006, 02:41:05 PM »

Yes, a very good indicator, indeed!  Grin

The Zippo name is so good, I'll bet if they ever went fully out of business in the USA, an Asian [probably Chinese] company would pick up the name and use it for marketing their "replicas". This is a common ploy these days.

T

Tom Vu,
           The closest thing I've seen to an original "Zippo" lighter is the Ronson "WindII" that retails for around $3 to $4 depending on where you buy it from. The "WindII" is of Chinese manufacture (why am I not surprised) and is actually a pretty good lighter. I've only had mine for about a few months and put it into service for the two weeks my original 1977 Zippo went back to the factory for repair and replacement.

Interestingly enough, the "Zippo" mechanism insert fits into the "Ronson" job like a glove! The Ronson insert is designed with a different type of plenum, and will usually light on the second or third try, unlike the original Zippo which lights "first time, everytime", if I may quote the "Flick your Bic" commercial of yesteryear. There is a huge price difference between a Zippo and the Ronson "WindII" and I can only surmise that the Ronson job wouldn't withstand the test of time. I have other Zippo lighters including the brass "Marlboro" job that was a promo in the eighties, and even a numbered "Sheetz" limited edition job that have never been used and still have them in their original boxes. "Sheetz" is a food market type place like 7-11 or Wawa, Quick Markets, etc that we all see with one exception; that are located throughout Central and Western Pa. They have a "SuperSheetz" in Altoona,Pa. that offers everything from subs to icecream to designer hamburgers and steak sandwiches to gasoline, coffee, etc. Their food quality is terrific, and I highly recommend their cheeseburger on a bun made from soft pretzel dough. A true cuilnary delight that will make your tastebuds have mulitiple orgasims! We don't have "Sheetz" in the Philly area since I guess we don't fit their demographic profile.

Back to the "Zippo", I've never viewed them as preferred battle gear for the "lounge lizard" but I guess it makes sense. I can envision Pete, WA2CWA doing the "Watusi" whilst having his Zippo aflame in his polyesther shirt pocket. I'm just glad he wasn't injured and can reflect on the subject in a light (no pun intended) manner.

The sound of the click, the smell of freshly installed "Ronsonol" naptha lighter fluid, and the look of a brown "leisure suited" handlebars mustacheoid male while he smiles at you offering you a light; has to be the ultimate aphrodisiac to the modern "ready willing, and able" female.

If I were still single and "looking to pollenate any and all attractive female flowers" I guess I'd carry my trusty "recondomized" 1977 Zippo, wear my light blue leisure suit over my "Nehru collared" shirt, practice up on my John Travolta dancing steps and carry my old Wilson rockbound 2M FM CB on my beltclip and go out clubbing like a hunter who seeks his prey in my '66 Chrysler Yew Norker.

LoungeLizards of the world unite!
                                              Joe Cro N3IBX

Joe Cro N3IBX

Herb K2VH

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2006, 04:38:16 PM »

[If I were still single and "looking to pollenate any and all attractive female flowers" I guess I'd carry my trusty "recondomized" 1977 Zippo, wear my light blue leisure suit over my "Nehru collared" shirt, practice up on my John Travolta dancing steps and carry my old Wilson rockbound 2M FM CB on my beltclip and go out clubbing like a hunter who seeks his prey in my '66 Chrysler Yew Norker.

I am sitting here, picturing the whole above scenario.  And yes, I am laughing my ass off!

K2 Very Hilarious

K2VHerb

"Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar."
--Edward R. Murrow
Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2006, 09:24:57 AM »

[If I were still single and "looking to pollenate any and all attractive female flowers" I guess I'd carry my trusty "recondomized" 1977 Zippo, wear my light blue leisure suit over my "Nehru collared" shirt, practice up on my John Travolta dancing steps and carry my old Wilson rockbound 2M FM CB on my beltclip and go out clubbing like a hunter who seeks his prey in my '66 Chrysler Yew Norker.

I am sitting here, picturing the whole above scenario.  And yes, I am laughing my ass off!

K2 Very Hilarious

Herb - Yes, "Willy Loman" is still alive and well. The salesman never died!!!!!

Joe Cro N3IBX

Herb K2VH

« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2006, 09:58:49 AM »

Joe,  He sure didn't.  click below to see an even different artist's interpretation of old Willy.

www.chrismiles.net/willy_lowman.htm

K2VHerb

--Edward R. Murrow
Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2006, 11:59:31 AM »

Joe,  He sure didn't.  click below to see an even different artist's interpretation of old Willy.

www.chrismiles.net/willy_lowman.htm

Herb - I like it!

Joe Cro N3IBX

WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2006, 12:27:58 PM »

If ur really good with a Zippo, you can hold it and "flick" your fingers, like a snapping motion, opening the cover, not merely lifting it with the thumb. Iirc, the lighter starts upside down in the hand for that one...

I seem to think that there were people who managed to light the thing in that instantaneous motion too... but I may be having a mental mirage (again) on that part...

I had several Zippos, probably still do. the standard was brass, chrome plated, polished on the top, brushed on the sides... this one was engraved with some company's name. Also an aluminum case with nice, but faux "gun" style engraving on the sides... (stamped I believe)....

I got tired of filling them with Ronson fool... then the Bic disposable butanes came along... not to mention the leakiness in the pocket, and the smell... oh well.

Classic piece of Americana.

What I want is that Neon sign out in Niagra (never seen it, but I want it).  Cheesy

_-_-WBear2GCR

Wonder if "Zippo" made any R-388s or 390s during the war?  Roll Eyes

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
John Holotko

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2006, 03:07:39 AM »

If ur really good with a Zippo, you can hold it and "flick" your fingers, like a snapping motion, opening the cover, not merely lifting it with the thumb. Iirc, the lighter starts upside down in the hand for that one...

I seem to think that there were people who managed to light the thing in that instantaneous motion too... but I may be having a mental mirage (again) on that part...

Yep, I do a few of those "tricks".  Ther are many techniques for flipping the lid open and closed without the direct use  of hands, thumbs or fingers. One of the most common you'll often see is where the "Zippo Operator" pulls the lighter from his pocket, flips the lid open by striking it against his pants in a backward motion then in a forward motion ignites the lighter by flicking the wheel agaisty his trousers and hopefuilly bringing the lighter up with the lid open and lit. It is similarly extinguished in a similar manner, striking the lid against the trousers and then dropping it back into the pocket (hopefully extinguised). I do a variation on that in which I open and close the lid by abruptly shaking the lighter either forward or backward (close or open) in a sudden abrupt short semicircular motion and letting the centrifugal force take care of the rest. I then either light it by slapping the wheel (also called bitch slapping the Zippo) with the palm of my hand or by striking it against my pants leg or jacket sleeve.   After presenting the Zippo to light a cigarette I will sometimes extinguish it by flipping it lit a considerable distance into the air and catching it in my palm. The lighter is upside down at that point my palm in such a position that it strikes the back of the Zippo snapping the lid closed and the dropping it back into the pcoket. When executed properly its quite  smooth and very impressive. Executed improperly you can burn your hand and drop lit lighter to the floor. Be careful. Smiley

WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2006, 10:32:43 AM »

Yah John... ur obviously confused! That thing in your hands in the avatar picture is not a zippo!!    Grin Shocked

The pants thing, yeah, the wrist flick... standard.
The finger snap isn't seen that oftern...  Wink

_-_-WBear2GCR

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
John Holotko

« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2006, 12:55:44 AM »

Yah John... ur obviously confused! That thing in your hands in the avatar picture is not a zippo!!    Grin Shocked

The pants thing, yeah, the wrist flick... standard.
The finger snap isn't seen that oftern...  Wink

_-_-WBear2GCR

Ahem... I don't think too many people would want to have their cigarette lit with the thing "I" am holding in the avatar picture Smiley Smiley

Not too many people can do the finger snap. There are also numerous variations on thst one.  The hardest one I learned was flipping the lighter into the air and catching and extinguishing it at the same time. For some reason it works best with my oldest (1950's) Zippo which is why I don;t try it often. It  puts undue stress on the Zippo. Besides, I'm afraid that one day I'll miss and drop the lit Zippo and set someones  place on fire and that would not be a good thing !!!

There used to be a website devoted to Zippo tricks but too many people  thought Zippo was sponsoring it and encouraging kids to do dangerous things with lighters so the site was taken down. Since then I think some imitation copycat sites sprang up.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015