The AM Forum
May 18, 2024, 12:56:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ARRL Ham Aid "Gear Ready to Go"  (Read 5127 times)
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« on: February 28, 2006, 03:23:31 PM »

NEWINGTON, CT, Feb 28, 2006--When another disaster on the scale of Hurricane Katrina comes along, the League will be able to deploy "ham gear ready to go," thanks to manufacturers' donations of Amateur Radio gear, ARRL members' generous monetary combinations and a federal grant. The ARRL Ham Aid-sponsored "Go Kits" now being assembled at League Headquarters are the third leg of a program that's already reimbursed certain out-of-pocket expenses for ham radio hurricane zone volunteers and helped restore Amateur Radio backbone infrastructure along the US Gulf Coast.

Go here for the rest of the details:
http://www.remote.arrl.org/news/stories/2006/02/28/4/?nc=1

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
W1DAN
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2006, 12:24:52 PM »

Hi Pete:

I talked to an ARRL guy who was forming this early after Katrina.

I think it is a great idea and am glad they are doing it.

One sad thing. A friend of mine WD5BJT lost everything is Katrina. No insurance and his house was rubble. So I asked the ARRL about any donations to him(radios or books). They said no!

So my club and I gathered donations and bought him a new station for his FEMA trailer. I will continue to buy him little things as time goes on. We are planning on going to Dayton.

Dan
W1DAN
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2006, 01:49:50 PM »

Hi Pete:

I talked to an ARRL guy who was forming this early after Katrina.

I think it is a great idea and am glad they are doing it.

One sad thing. A friend of mine WD5BJT lost everything is Katrina. No insurance and his house was rubble. So I asked the ARRL about any donations to him(radios or books). They said no!

So my club and I gathered donations and bought him a new station for his FEMA trailer. I will continue to buy him little things as time goes on. We are planning on going to Dayton.

Dan
W1DAN

Unfortunately a lot of hams lost everything during the various storms in the Gulf area this past year. To some degree, I can understand ARRL’s position on not making individual donations to amateurs. Brings to mind the issues the Red Cross and FEMA had when they tried to issue those $2K initial recovery checks to “people in need”.  Some were issued multiple payments, some payments went to people who really didn’t need them but tried to take advantage of the situation, etc.  I think the best course of action is what you and you club did and what a lot of other individuals and clubs did to help get at least some of the hams back up and running to some degree. A whole bunch of those laminated quick reference guides that I offer are included in those “Go Kits”.

Since you're going to Dayton, don't forget the theme of this year's convention:
Dayton Hamvention® announces theme for 2006 show (Feb 14, 2006) -- "Ham Radio is Public Service" is the theme for Dayton Hamvention 2006--reflecting the renewed awareness by the public of the service Amateur Radio operators provided after the Gulf Coast hurricanes and other disasters. In announcing the theme, Hamvention 2006 General Chairman Jim Nies, WX8F, said that it serves to remind the public and the ham radio community that one of the reasons ham radio exists is to provide communication in emergencies when all else fails. Several forum sessions are expected to deal with emergency communication-related topics, including how Amateur Radio performed after the hurricanes wiped out communications in a wide segment of the south. For more information, visit the Dayton Hamvention Web site. More than 25,000 visitors are expected to attend the three-day event Friday through Sunday, May 19-21. The ARRL has announced that it will present ARRL EXPO 2006 during Hamvention.

Don't forget to check out ARRL EXPO. Last year it was jammed with people and all your favorite ARRL executives and representatives:
ARRL EXPO 2006

Main floor area photo:

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
W1DAN
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2006, 10:01:26 PM »

Hi Pete:

I kinda understand the ARRL's position, but on the other side, they could do good with out trying too hard by soliciting donations from equipment manufacturers and individuals (i.e be a clearing house). And they have lotsa older publications available for donation.

I heard about the FEMA embezzlement, but to me it seems pretty small...well worth keeping the program.

Yes I will try to see some of the public service stuff at Dayton.

Gee maybe they will make me an ARES man! I can bring my Ranger and R390A to a disaster event!

Dan
W1DAN

N5RLR
Extra With A Side Of Fries

Supremely Lurking

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2006, 12:11:48 AM »

The idea of ARRL-supplied "Go Kits" is good, but I have to ask something.

What's going to happen if/when some or all the gear in a particular kit comes up, ah, missing?  I would hope that serial numbers, et. al. are being recorded.  Also, should something go amiss, will the operator/agency/organization to which it was issued, be held responsible?

Not meaning to toss cold water on this, but it is something to think about. Undecided

Michael

Licensed Since 1990  Cheesy
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015