The AM Forum
May 07, 2024, 05:14:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Radio Shack CEO Resigns  (Read 3473 times)
WB2CAU

« on: February 20, 2006, 07:24:52 PM »

http://www.newsday.com/business/ats-ap_business10feb20,0,5215379.story?coll=ny-business-leadheadlines

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid." -- John Wayne
wa2zdy
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2006, 08:33:42 AM »

And he's still getting a megabuck severance package.  No wonder this country is in trouble. 
W9GT

Nipper - Manager of K9 Affairs

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2006, 12:23:03 PM »

Maybe everyone should send an email to his successor and tell her that they need to restore the parts (blister packs) sales to their stores.  Rat Shack used to be ,at least, a last resort place to pick up a few parts.  Now I think Walmart has more than Radio Shack Huh Grin

73,  Jack, W9GT

Tubes and Black Wrinkle Rule!!
73, Jack, W9GT
wa2zdy
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2006, 05:16:08 PM »

I made the mistake of buying some 3/16" stereo headphone plugs at Radio Shaft a few weeks ago.  How can THEY be bad, right?

25w soldering iron, not applied too long as I know how to solder, opened up the connections inside both plugs. 

Have them bring parts back?  No point to it, you can probably homebrew better components than they were selling at the end.

John Holotko

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2006, 05:38:20 PM »

I made the mistake of buying some 3/16" stereo headphone plugs at Radio Shaft a few weeks ago.  How can THEY be bad, right?

25w soldering iron, not applied too long as I know how to solder, opened up the connections inside both plugs. 

Have them bring parts back?  No point to it, you can probably homebrew better components than they were selling at the end.

You're not alone. I have had the same exact problem soldering their jacks even with a low wattage iron applied very brief.  Heat them a second or two longer and I've had the jacks fall apart.

Did you see my other message about the lousy toggle switches I got from Ratty -O-Shack ??  I needed a simple replacement toggle switch for  my Viking 2. First Ratty  Shack switch went  intermittant and then failed after only a year in operation. Second one  failed after only 6 months and then fell apart  in my hands when I attempted  to see if I could do anything to fix it. After that I ordered a replacement switch from a reputable dealer. 10+ years in service and still going strong with no problems. How come the Ratty O Shack switches couldn't perform like that. ?? A lot of Radio Crtack components were sub standard.

N2IZE<br /><br />Because infinity comes in different sizes.
K1MVP
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2006, 06:19:28 PM »

You're not alone. I have had the same exact problem soldering their jacks even with a low wattage iron applied very brief.  Heat them a second or two longer and I've had the jacks fall apart.

Did you see my other message about the lousy toggle switches I got from Ratty -O-Shack ??  I needed a simple replacement toggle switch for  my Viking 2. First Ratty  Shack switch went  intermittant and then failed after only a year in operation. Second one  failed after only 6 months and then fell apart  in my hands when I attempted  to see if I could do anything to fix it. After that I ordered a replacement switch from a reputable dealer. 10+ years in service and still going strong with no problems. How come the Ratty O Shack switches couldn't perform like that. ?? A lot of Radio Crtack components were sub standard.

John,
I have had the same experience with "Rat Shack" junk parts,--eapecially with their
switches and PL-259 jacks,--I could not get the solder to "stick" to the center
conductor lug,--nice and shiny,--so I had to actually file the chrome off,--what a
"pain".
Also the same problem with their phono jacks,--just junk.

What I have found works out for parts,--is I save junk equipment and when I have
time,--I just strip everything and save all tubes, switches RF connectors and many
other parts, including the chassis, and I then I have enough good quality parts
(even though used) and its worked out real good for me over the past few years.

Also a good source for transformers,--have built many real nice qrp(glowbug) cw rigs over
the past number of years, using "old" parts from equipment.

73, Rene, K1MVP

P.S,--Have found that parts even at HR fleamarkets from dealers can be a "bit pricey"
       So there is more than one way to "skin a cat, as my ol Dad used to say, by
       reusing good "old parts". 

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015