The AM Forum
May 07, 2024, 03:16:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Behringer Fined $1 Million by the FCC  (Read 7416 times)
K2PG
« on: February 16, 2006, 06:00:18 PM »

Behringer, manufacturer of a lot of the audio gear that finds its way into amateur AM stations, was issued a Notice of Apparent Liability by the FCC for marketing uncertified digital audio equipment. Here is a link to the article on the FCC Web site:

http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/FCC-06-13A1.pdf
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2006, 06:50:36 PM »

Now, if they would jump on the importers of touch lamp switches like that...

And BPL?

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
WA1GFZ

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2006, 09:00:01 PM »

But Don,
You don't want someone from outside our country lose their job. That would be mean.
KL7OF

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2006, 09:31:45 PM »

I read thru the FCC legalspeak and I find myself wondering what is Behringer is gulity of /charged with?  They seem to have been  very cooperative with the FCC.. Are their devices interferring with someone/something?....I also find myself wondering about Behringer.. I have some of their early gear built in Germany.. Very good... The Latest gear I have from them was made in CHINA... also very good..  What's a mother to do??   
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2006, 10:27:18 PM »

After a real quick look at the NAL it apears that Behringer didn't submit the  devices for type accept. They submitted one design and figured that was good enough for the rest...... You pays yur mony and takes ur  chances.......   And YES, we should have all the manufractures and inporters submit any electric/electronic device for RFI type acceptance......  (( Some countries kept out American electronics/electrics ' caus the power cord wasn't a meter long...... that 3 inches is important))                                               
                        Please, no flames... I didnt look at the whole nal and you didnt pay for my advice, so there......  klc                                                                                               

What? Me worry?
WA3VJB
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2006, 07:54:19 AM »

It's part of the digital conspiracy, actually.

I can say no more.

W1DAN
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2006, 11:25:38 AM »

Hi:

I heard from a couple of sources that Behringer steals patented circuits (i.e from Aphex) and uses them in their gear without paying royalties.

Dan
W1DAN
KA1ZGC
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2006, 12:02:58 PM »

I read about halfway through the NAL, and I'm not suprised by this. A few things stick out:

Behringer also acknowledged that it had not verified compliance of any of the 66 models of
its digital devices with the applicable FCC technical standards, prior to importing and marketing such
devices in the United States. Rather, Behringer represented that “a range” of its digital devices had been
tested and passed “CE” directives, and expressed its belief that those devices will also comply with the
Commission’s technical standards given “the relationship between the applicable FCC and CE
electromagnetic compatibility regulations and the results of Behringer’s CE tested products to date.”

Mistake number one: they admit they didn't get the equipment type-accepted.

Mistake number two: they admit their equipment went for CE certification, but not FCC.

Having seen a number of Class A and Class B digital devices through compliance, I can tell you that most labs are accredited to offer CE, UL, and FCC Class A and Class B certification, but you get billed for what you get tested. If they sent their units in for CE cert and didn't follow through with the FCC cert, they very probably did so to pinch a few pennies per model and hoped they wouldn't get caught. As it was, they only sent a small percentage of the number of models they offer for CE certification.

Every time we release a new machine to the market, we get all the certification we need from one single outfit. One-stop certification. It's a difference of a few thousand dollars to get a device CE and UL listed without getting FCC listed. Cheaper than a million dollar NAL, for sure.

KL7OF asked:
I read thru the FCC legalspeak and I find myself wondering what is Behringer is gulity of /charged with?  They seem to have been  very cooperative with the FCC.. Are their devices interferring with someone/something?

They're charged with putting a digital device to market without receiveing FCC certification first. The regs clearly say you can't do that, and that's there to protect you and I from digital hash and tee-rash inundating the spectrum.

The fact that they've been cooperative with the FCC won't buy them anything. Compliance is expected from the start, suddenly coming into compliance doesn't mitigate or negate a previous lack of compliance.

But they made it even worse for themselves when they responded to the first Letter Of Inquiry with a detailed statement of corrective action they would take to get all of their marketed products certified, and then appearently only gave lip service to that agreement. Not only does coming into compliance not negate anything, but pretending to come into compliance without actually doing so makes things much, much worse.

That's a guaranteed way of pissing off Uncle Charlie, and "Charlie don't surf".

It's too bad, really. They're a good company that builds a good product, they just tried to cut a few legal corners and got caught. You dance the dance, you pay the piper.

--Thom
Kerolene Apparatus One Zooming Golf Cart
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2006, 12:41:06 PM »

have all the manufractures and inporters submit any electric/electronic device for RFI type acceptance......  (( Some countries kept out American electronics/electrics ' caus the power cord wasn't a meter long...... that 3 inches is important))

Maybe they should have used one of those $600 ones.  That works out to $15.24 per inch.                               

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Jeff OGM
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2006, 06:23:26 PM »

Well, that certainly is a shame that the guys at Behringer, USA didn't do their legal homework.

The last place I worked for, we had a number of products that sold well here in the US, and we had both UL and FCC type acceptance on all that stuff all along.  But then, when we were ready to market in Europe, and started sending out samples for CE, we had to do some jumping through hoops, a few redesigns and mods, before getting it on just about everything, just to get them up to CE emissions standards.  All it means to me is that passing the stricter CE emissions standards will make passing FCC type acceptance just a formality.

But, of course, it's the formality that the FCC cares about in this case, rather than admitting that passing CE makes passing their lower type acceptance standards pointless.  It would be admitting that their emissions standards suck, ...as we all know about when it comes to their "emissions standards" for BPL.

Jeff
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015