The AM Forum
May 07, 2024, 09:00:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: reslosound mic,for AM??  (Read 6080 times)
KR4WI
« on: February 16, 2006, 12:03:47 AM »

Hello Helpers: I got a reslosound mic given to me today, it has made in England, 250 and 600 ohms ribbon mic stapmped on it. Would this be a possible mic for the viking ll when I get it running? It  looks like a nice vintage mic.  Thanks for replys. Matthew
W2INR
Radio Syracuse
Founding

Syracuse Radio W2INR

« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2006, 06:20:10 AM »

The reslosound microphone is not only a great mic but it is a famous mic also.

The beatles used Reslo's for years.

A properly crooned Reslo would be a great addition to your station Mattew. I used one here for years and I know of many others that have them in their studios.

I give that mic a thumbs up.

G - The INR

Amateur Weather Station KNYSYRAC64
Creator - owner - AMfone.net - 2001 - 2010
Founding Member - NEAR-Fest
SWLR-RNŲ54
WA3VJB
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2006, 07:36:58 AM »

The Reslo is awesome.

I know of one that changed hands in the broadcast industry for several hundred dollars a few years ago, new in the box, the model R/BMT. Certain models have topped $1000 among Beatles trivia collectors (musician types especially) who know which model was used by the Fab Four and are doing re-creation acts.

The only problem is that it is somewhat vulnerable to RF.  Careful placement solves that in most cases.
And, since it's a ribbon mic, you have to be very careful NOT to close-talk it. So if your radio studio contains blower noise, barking dogs, screaming babies, this is NOT the mic to use. Also note that you will need a mixing console or an impedance matching pre-amp for the microphone to take it from low-Z to the hi-Z input of the Viking II. It will sound muddy if the transmitter has "stock" audio, since the rig won't be able to take advantage of the full and open sound of the Reslo. It's really the mic to use once you're set up with a well-modifed Viking II.

Specs and more pictures here:

http://www.morphet.org.uk/ferro/reslodocs.html

And here, on the mic stand on the left side behind the bottles,  is the Reslo in application, picking up the crooning sounds of a Rolling Rock Hour from years past:

KR4WI
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2006, 02:51:41 PM »

Thanks: Gary and Paul, That is good pic and details of it, thank you paul for the web site. Well I hope in few days have the viking ll going and I will post for some help on the pre amp needed for the mic to sound good. Great story,   the friend that gave it to me, I called him on phone just to see if he had some old mic casings I wanted to put a condensor element into one, and here he comes thru door with this, also we have played bluegrass music together for years, festivals/shows etc. and this is known rock/roll mic, a little funny.   He said it had a warm sound to it. well better run. Thanks again Gentlemen, for the information. Matthew
Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2006, 06:14:03 PM »

That "Reslo" is one kewl ribbonium microphonium!

Joe Cro N3IBX

Anything that is Breadboarded,Black Crackle, or that squeals when you tune it gives me MAJOR WOOD!
W1DAN
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2006, 11:30:30 AM »

Hi:

I have used one with a Viking 2. It is extremely sensitive to inductive hum pickup and you will need some EQ to get the mids and highs boosted. It should not pick up any RF though.

A very smooth mic though...to me better than an RE20.

Dan
W1DAN
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2006, 04:50:28 PM »

I bought a pair NIB a number of years back...

Cute mics... mine do something like 80 ohms and high Z... wierd combo!

Anyhow, I opened mine up - the entire mic assembly was mounted BACKWARDS in the case!
The magnets were facing the front of the case! It was easy enough to remove it and rotate it around - the highs were way better after that.

Also, they came with "stuff" - various materials - that was supposed to go behind the ribbon for "cardioid" operation, and in front of the ribbon for various applications (like cramming the thang up to a harmonica)! So much for being gentle with it? Anyhow, best to open the case (top screw, and push lightly down on the rear of the grille to remove...) and check all of this.

_-_-WBear2GCR

http://www.bearlabs.com/RESLO.html

* RESLO-FRONT.jpg (57.16 KB, 594x411 - viewed 385 times.)

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
WA3VJB
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2006, 07:09:28 PM »

The link I posted above describes the construction just as you found it -- with the magnets in "front."
Gary installed the "croon" option in his for that more intimate style of use as they describe in the literature with the microphone.
Unless you're a stickler for originality, which I'm not, you might want to swap out the mic cable that came with it for new stock.  There's apparently a LOT of capacitance in the type of cable that came with the mic, which attenuated the highs dramatically. I put a 7 foot section of Canare on there and wow it sure opened up. It's possible the original stuff has undergone, in the passt 40 years,  some chemical degradation in the plastic insulation on the leads, or something.
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2006, 09:19:58 PM »

O2 got in it .........

What? Me worry?
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2006, 09:22:33 PM »

The cable on the one I have was not even connected correctly - no ground connection to the microphone case. Changing the cable and/or wiring it properly reduces the mic's sensitivity to RF and AC power field greatly (read: less hum). This is a great sounding mice that looks pretty cool too. Seems a little weak on the high end though, especially in amateur radio use. But some EQing will fix that. Have fun.

WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2006, 01:05:04 PM »

The link I posted above describes the construction just as you found it -- with the magnets in "front."
Gary installed the "croon" option in his for that more intimate style of use as they describe in the literature with the microphone.
Unless you're a stickler for originality, which I'm not, you might want to swap out the mic cable that came with it for new stock.  There's apparently a LOT of capacitance in the type of cable that came with the mic, which attenuated the highs dramatically. I put a 7 foot section of Canare on there and wow it sure opened up. It's possible the original stuff has undergone, in the passt 40 years,  some chemical degradation in the plastic insulation on the leads, or something.

Yeah, I noticed that!

Bass-ackwards... imagine the cavity resonances and the diffraction effects!!
I turned mine around, seems to sound *way* better... ymmv.

Yeah - I have some nice teflon cable to try in that hole... good idea!

_-_-WBear2GCR

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015