The AM Forum
April 28, 2024, 03:24:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ARRL = SECRET RADIO  (Read 25053 times)
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2006, 12:08:26 AM »

While I was in the USN, the datalink that I referenced in a previous thread used permutator cards. The code on these cards was changed every day at 0000 GMT (or Zulu time). This gave everyone the chance to be a PU or participating unit. The cards were designed in such a way that when they were pulled out of the device, the code on the cards was reset to all 0's. Unless you were a PU, there was know way you could know what kind of data was being transferred. We know the Soviets were attempting to do it in the eighty's (thanks to the traitor John Walker).

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2006, 12:42:07 PM »

I don't buy the medical reason for encription. If the Fed regulations in reguard to medical data being transmitted 'in the clear' are the only reason, then the regs can be amended. As far as 'clients', ie Red Cross, they can be in on the lobbying.  The use of Hamatuer freq for emergency comms is just that - for emergency.....Then, anything goes.  Anyway, computer generated Cw at say, 75 wpm is pretty well protected from the general public , PSK31 and its flavors also..... RTTY somewhat less so         <<  CW = ARRL support ---we can build 6502 processors and tuna can transmitters to be state of the art  >>   klc

What? Me worry?
WA3VJB
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2006, 05:11:08 PM »

If we are to have relatively unfettered digital experimentation on the ham bands, then we will have virtual encryption.

Steve you're right of course, but this is usually expressed as a conflict between communications copied by ear versus comms that are copied by machine. One side cannot discern the other, encryption notwithstanding.

Didn't the ARRL successfully win a proposal to discontinue IDs that are in the clear for telemetry transmissions? That may have to be brought back.

WA1GFZ

« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2006, 09:38:53 PM »

Look at a football game. How many times do you see the code of the day broken.
Change the key often enough and it will never be cracked. Hams have no need for secure communication unless we become a cover for some crime element.
Digital modes should have fixed codes.  Why should the government want to have to monitor normal ham traffic while they have bigger fish to fry.
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2006, 10:43:38 PM »

The medical reasons for encryption are due to Federal Law, specifically, the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996, HIPAA. From the HIPAA web site.

The law is clear: October 16, 2003 is the deadline for covered entities to comply with HIPAA’s  electronic transaction and code sets provisions.  After that date, covered entities, including health  plans, may not conduct noncompliant transactions.

The law text is huge and I didn't read all of it. Even if I did, I doubt I would understand all of it. Best I can tell, the types of protected medical info is listed below. How each of these related to emergency amateur radio communications is best speculated upon by those who do such.

From 45 CFR Part 162

. . . the Secretary adopted
standards for eight electronic transactions and six code sets. The
transactions are:
    [sbull] Health Care Claims or Equivalent Encounter Information;
    [sbull] Eligibility for a Health Plan;
    [sbull] Referral Certification and Authorization;
    [sbull] Health Care Claim Status;
    [sbull] Enrollment and Disenrollment in a Health Plan;
    [sbull] Health Care Payment and Remittance Advice;
    [sbull] Health Plan Premium Payments; and
    [sbull] Coordination of Benefits.
    The code sets are: International Classification of Diseases, 9th
Edition, Clinical Modification, Volumes 1 and 2;
    [sbull] International Classification of Diseases, 9th Edition,
Clinical Modification, Volume 3 Procedures;
    [sbull] National Drug Codes;
    [sbull] Code on Dental Procedures and Nomenclature;
    [sbull] Health Care Financing Administration Common Procedure
Coding System; and
    [sbull] Current Procedural Terminology, 4th Edition.
    This final rule adopts modifications to the August 17, 2000
transaction and code set standards.

Read all the gory details at
http://aspe.hhs.gov/admnsimp/bannertx.htm

As far as encryption requirements, none are required on a closed network (say a hospitals LAN, although this seems gray to me, since very few truly stand alone nets exist (those with NO connections directly or indirectly to the internet). If data is sent over an open network (e.g. the Internet, or amateur radio), encryption is required. Looks like FIPS 197 encryption is not specifically required but is a good choice (most recent design, strongest cryptographically). Other include DES, Triple DES, AES (which is FIPS 197 compliant) and RSA.

More info at

http://csrc.nist.gov/CryptoToolkit/tkencryption.html

http://www.cs.virginia.edu/~acw/security/e-Logistics%20of%20Securing%20Medical%20Data.pdf
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015