The AM Forum
May 07, 2024, 02:17:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Card File - Do you Keep One?  (Read 4502 times)
W1UJR
« on: February 11, 2006, 01:40:21 PM »

Thinking about starting a card file to keep track of the various stations.
Listing op name, QTH, station line up, etc.

Wonder how many folks are doing this, and if anyone has a format that works well?

I have a box of old Bud Radio, Inc. cards which were designed for this purpose but intersted in hearing your thoughts.

Tnx es 73 Bruce W1UJR
John Holotko

« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2006, 02:47:35 PM »

In years gone by I used to keep a logbook using spiral  notebooks. I'd log each on-air seession chronologically, with regard  to time that I signed on, and time I signed off. Sandwiched between those times was a listing of all the stations I spoke to. Problem is it was very redundant and if I wanted to look for a particular station I had to scan the book page by page until I found (or didn't find) the call.

More recently I thought of using a card file. But I opted to do it electronically instead using a relational  database and setting up the database tables accordingly..

But, despite this there are advantages  to using the card file. It's  tried, tested  and proven, and it works under ALL circumstances, even if the power goes out.  I am thinking I might set up a card  file as well and use it in conjunction to the computerized system, it can also serve as a handy backup as well. There are many circumstances in whoch "old" can be better than "new".

N2IZE<br /><br />Because infinity comes in different sizes.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2006, 05:46:23 PM »

I use a little Rolodex electronic data base.  About the size of a small handheld calculator, with a keyboard and  screen that open up like a subminiature laptop computer, I enter callsign, name, QTH of stations I want to remember.  I retrieve them by entering callsign, and the rest of the data comes up.  I have a second one that I use as a backup.   I can copy data from one to the other via an optical coupler.  It has 64k of memory, and after nearly 10 years of use, I still haven't used up half of it.

I do have a spiral notebook for jotting down data from QSO's, but I don't keep a formal logbook with date, time, etc. anymore.  I stopped doing that the day the FCC deleted the requirement from the  rules.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
KR4WI
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2006, 10:12:16 PM »

Yes, I use just plain ol index cards, and keep them in the card box. It's neat to go back to a calling station and know his name qth, tx, etc.
Retired, still works etc, Maybe what they was working on tx, rx, so on the last time we talked. Matthew
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2006, 11:35:57 PM »

Yup, I keep one - a "card file" of sorts.  To be exact, I started an Excel spreadsheet a number of years ago sorted as follows:

prefix sufix   name       location            comments                                                                  district

WA1 QIX   Steve  Townsend, MA      Class E rig builder                                                          1

What I do is sort by:  district, then by suffix, then by prefix.  I've got LOTS of people in this database.  I print out one page
of "blanks" (formatted, but no data).  From time to time, I type this into the computer and then print out the
whole list.  I keep the list handy in the shack.  This system works VERY well!

Regards,

Steve
]

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
John Holotko

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2006, 03:54:05 AM »

Yup, I keep one - a "card file" of sorts.  To be exact, I started an Excel spreadsheet a number of years ago sorted as follows:

prefix sufix   name       location            comments                                                                  district

WA1 QIX   Steve  Townsend, MA      Class E rig builder                                                          1

What I do is sort by:  district, then by suffix, then by prefix.  I've got LOTS of people in this database.  I print out one page
of "blanks" (formatted, but no data).  From time to time, I type this into the computer and then print out the
whole list.  I keep the list handy in the shack.  This system works VERY well!

Regards,

Steve
]

Good idea. A spreadsheet will work nicely  both as a standalone spreadsheet and/or even with the data imported/exported to/freom  a database table. I like the idea of printing  out some blank sheets and using them for data collection. Good move.

ize

N2IZE<br /><br />Because infinity comes in different sizes.
Herb K2VH

Pennsylvanian shaking hands with Yankee

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2006, 02:47:07 PM »

Being an old-fashioned kind of guy, Bruce, I keep my card file the old fashioned way--file drawers with cards in them. The file is for AM contacts only.  I don't have one for other modes. 

I use 3X5 cards, and started it on Oct. 27, 1984, which was my 30th anniversary in Ham Radio.  In those 21 some-odd years I first filled up a little file box, then filled up a 16 inch long file drawer, then took the 4th through zero call districts and foreign contacts out, and put them into a 12 inch file box.  In all, the 16 inch drawer is now filled up to 11 inches (ones, twos, and threes), while the 12 inch box is filled to seven inches  That's a total of 18 inches worth of 3X5 cards--probably close to 2000 cards (I think).

On the cards I keep call, name, qth, and equipment.  Recently I have been adding the date of our first qso.  If it was a particularly good contact (or if subsequent contacts were particularly enjoyable) I might add that info.  If the guy's a total idiot, I note that too. Shocked  Sometimes I note his DOB, or occupation, or other hobbies.  You'd be surprised what you can get on a 3X5 card.  The extra info provides a springboard for starting a conversation in subsequent contacts, e.g., "Five years ago your dog was expecting puppies.  Did she ever have them, or is she still pregnant? Roll Eyes

Start one up.  It doesn't have to be fancy or sophisticated.  You'll find that it's very convenient and fun.  As I often tell guys who think I remember all kinds of details about them, "I have a lousy memory, but a good card file."

vH

K2VHerb
First licensed in 1954 as KN2JVM  
On AM since 1955;on SSB since 1963

"Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar."
--Edward R. Murrow
Ed - N3LHB
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2006, 07:27:21 PM »

Been keeping mine in an old manual rolodex that I picked up at a hamfest, Rochester I think. I kept the call, name, QTH only, wished I kept more details. Been using it for over 12 years now, starting to get a little yellow from age...

The old rolodex makes it easy to file and locate, just use the first letter of the call suffix to file under a letter tab, then file alpha-numerically. Always seemed to come in handy for hams like me that hardly ever seem to get on any more... Sad

As a side note, we are almost ready to close on another QTH where I can put up a east-west dipole for 80, and possibly a inverted L on 160.. The new QTH comes with 4 lots, so there will be some extra room for some ants... Maybe I can strap again!
Paul, K2ORC
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2006, 11:54:31 AM »

I too maintain a card file using index cards kept in a recipe card box.  I index by the letters after the call district designator and divide the cards with alphabetical tabs.   

Along with the call I include the op's name and location; where and when I first worked the station; and maybe some brief notes about equipment, antennas, and anything else I find of interest.   It's so low tech and easy to use and update, plus I don't worry about a machine having a crap out and losing my files.

The only downside is that I've knocked the box to the floor a few times and had to spend time putting cards back in order.

Go Duke![/b]
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015