The AM Forum
May 04, 2024, 06:56:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: And you think hams are being given a hard time over towers and antennas  (Read 2112 times)
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« on: February 07, 2006, 12:57:42 PM »

Setting a precedent like this opens the door to any city taking private property simply because it didn’t like the way the owner uses the property.

http://www.hdtvcolorado.com/

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
John Holotko

« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2006, 04:05:20 PM »

Setting a precedent like this opens the door to any city taking private property simply because it didn’t like the way the owner uses the property.
http://www.hdtvcolorado.com/

One time I was listening to a "health show" on a local New York City radio station.  They were discussing the "serious health risks" of RF radiation.  First and foremost I noticed that they seemed to have difficulty  differentiating between non-ionizing rf radiation and ionizing radioactivity i.e.alpha and beta particles.
But one comment really caught my ear.  One person on the show advised that listeners not buy homes in areas where the neighbor may be a ham radio operator. According to the socalled "health expert" moving into a home near a ham operator is an open invitation to cancer from the deadly rf rays emenating from his antenna.

Then they went on to discuss cell phones and the deadly "microwave" rays from the cell phone. There advice  was, if you have a cell phone get rid of it and don;t go near anyone who uses one.

Then they mentioned how cooking food in a microwave oven makes the food "radioactive" . Yes that'sright according to these so called "experts" both the food and the over retains potentially dangerous levels of radiation even when the oven is off.

Other ideas I heard were  use a  wood frame bed because a metal frame bed "attracts harmful electromagnetic waves" and if you must use a metal frame then ground it. Another was, don;t sleep in line of sight of the Empire State building.

God Bless stupidity and  misinformation !!   Grin Grin Grin Grin

N2IZE<br /><br />Because infinity comes in different sizes.
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2006, 05:07:09 PM »

This reminds me of a radio company I once worked for.  The company put a new station on the air in my old stomping grounds back in the early 90's.  The transmitter site and antenna were located on a hill in the city of New London near a densely populated neighborhood.  When the station went on the air the phone calls soon followed with RFI complaints.  We dealt with TV's, telephones, radio and even had a complaint of lights blinking.  Of course I got the task of dealing with the so called radio and electronics experts. 

Man, what a PITA that was.  We weren't obligated to fix stuff for people but we did and solved a big chunk of the problems.

We dealt with "experts" from every angle.  It's funny how these so called experts can't help themselves solve their own problems.

I could write many pages of that experience but I don't know if there's enough bandwidth on the internet to handle it.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015