The AM Forum
May 05, 2024, 02:32:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Responding to SWL cards?????  (Read 4753 times)
KR4WI
« on: February 02, 2006, 03:22:53 PM »

Got a question. I received my first swl card today, I was on 40mtrs AM, and gentleman sent me a swl, Do you usually send a qsl card back, saying you was on that freq/band at the time, or fix some other kind of card made just for swl purpose?
Another new one for me since I been using the AM mode. Matthew KR4WI
Herb K2VH

Pennsylvanian shaking hands with Yankee

« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2006, 04:20:52 PM »

Aha!  See, Matthew?  Now you've got the general public listening.  That's why AM can be such a good PR tool.

Sure, send the guy one of your regular QSLs.  He'll appreciate it, and you will have scored another point for Ham Radio in general, and for AM in particular.  Just confirm that you were on the air at the time he said you were, and check of the TNX QSL box if you have one.  Make the card out to SWL (his name).

Enjoy AM, Matthew.

Herb

K2VHerb
First licensed in 1954 as KN2JVM  
On AM since 1955;on SSB since 1963

"Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar."
--Edward R. Murrow
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2006, 05:28:37 PM »

Matthew,
Herb took the words right  out of my mouth.  Nothing wrong with QSLing an SWL with your own QSL card.  In fact, most SWL's would prefer an "authentic" QSL card from the source if that makes any sense.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
KR4WI
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2006, 08:26:15 PM »

Ok, Thanks for the reply men. I will send my qsl card. and I think I will list the usuall AM freq on all the bands just in case he would like to listen. thanks again Matthew KR4WI
wa2zdy
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2006, 09:01:55 PM »

SWL cards  used to be much more common.  Years ago particularly  behind the iron curtain prospective hams had to spend a certain amount of time as SWLs first.  They had to produce proof that they had been listening and QSL cards from hams were how they proved it.

Yes, being on AM you will be more accessible to the SWLs and have a great opportunity to be a spokesman for ham radio, particularly for the AM community.  When I think about how civilised the AM community is in general I realise what a good thing that is for all of us.

Please do send him a card in reply and remember, he may be a prospective ham too.
WA3VJB
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2006, 04:56:42 AM »

I agree totally, Matthew, and you might add this website URL to your card since he could actually check in with us here !

Herb K2VH

Pennsylvanian shaking hands with Yankee

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2006, 08:18:22 AM »

you might add this website URL to your card since he could actually check in with us here !

Excellent idea, Paul.  I hadn't thought of that.

Herb

K2VHerb
First licensed in 1954 as KN2JVM  
On AM since 1955;on SSB since 1963

"Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar."
--Edward R. Murrow
Chuck_WA4HHG
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2006, 10:00:19 AM »

I would. 

He/she may get a license, maybe not.  A lot of people would rather listen than talk.

Got a question. I received my first swl card today, I was on 40mtrs AM, and gentleman sent me a swl, Do you usually send a qsl card back, saying you was on that freq/band at the time, or fix some other kind of card made just for swl purpose?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015