The AM Forum
May 05, 2024, 08:54:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ramsey Electronics gets busted by FCC  (Read 4733 times)
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« on: February 01, 2006, 01:37:41 PM »

From the "Walking the Plank" department
Via the M Street Journal:

The FCC's been investigating Ramsey Electronics of Victor, NY for years and last week it slapped the maker of low power transmitters and kits with a $25,000 Notice of Apparent Liability. The Commission says Ramsey's FM transmitters and power amplifiers, which operate with as much as 40 watts, aren't type-approved. And even though Ramsey says the higher-powered units are meant for export only, the FCC alleges that Ramsey's still selling the units to customers within the U.S.
Herb K2VH

Pennsylvanian shaking hands with Yankee

« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2006, 02:03:32 PM »

That's only 40 miles from here.  I never even heard of them!

Herb

K2VHerb
First licensed in 1954 as KN2JVM  
On AM since 1955;on SSB since 1963

"Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar."
--Edward R. Murrow
Paul, K2ORC
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2006, 02:53:31 PM »

That's something.  Ramsey kits are all over the place, Herb.  I own a few including a low power FM xmtr (NOT the 40w variety mentioned in the article).  They sell receiver kits, QRP kits, all kinds of stuff, RF and non RF.   

The Ramsey NAL hasn't showed up on the FCC's NAL/Citation page as of today.

http://www.fcc.gov/eb/FieldNotices/

Go Duke![/b]
John Holotko

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2006, 03:37:57 PM »

Hmmmm... It seems like the Feds don'tlike  Ramsey very much. About ten years ago they were  busted by the FBO or Secret service for selling FM Wirless transmitter kits that could be used for eavesdropping projects. Now, ten years later the FCC busts them for selling FM transmitter and amp kits.  Personally I feel the person who should be liable should be the person who buys and  misuses the kits. For example if I buy a 40 watt  FM  transmitter and  set up an unauthorized broadcast station then I can/should be held liable for  infringement. besides, it really doesn't matter if Ramsey sells  these kits or  not. Dozens of other companies sells similar stuff on line. And besides, anyone with a schematic and a Digi-Key or Mouser catalog can build  themselves up  40+ watt bcast station pretty easilly.

BTW I built up a Ramsey  QRP 40 Meter CW ham transmitter many years ago. Damned  thing worked great.

N2IZE<br /><br />Because infinity comes in different sizes.
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2006, 04:19:54 PM »

Herb, They useda sell at the Rockchester fest...

I think the FM B'cast might have caused some waves...  CORPORATIONS !!!!!!!!!!!  . ?? Maybee some competition for the local (media Giants) talent.

I hope the candy co. goes after outfits like Cooper, and the truck stops that sell "10m" stuff to the "CB"ers, freebanders, whatever havvue... Ramsey is small potatoes.....   klc

What? Me worry?
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2006, 08:37:42 PM »

There's been a rash of people re-braodcasting the Howard Stern show on pirate FM xmitters.  Most likely the FCC would go do the other million or so things that are important, but since it's Howard Stern and nobody under the age of 18 could ever be permitted to hear the "F" word lest the world melt, priorities apparently have been rearranged.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2006, 09:27:34 PM »

JN
    ... could be taken on holiday..........  My conspiracy guess is that the FCC encourages rebroadcast of Howard, thereby closing him down and then burning him like a steak.......  klc

What? Me worry?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015