The AM Forum
May 03, 2024, 10:03:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What Is "AME" ???  (Read 4636 times)
Glenn NY4NC
« on: February 01, 2006, 01:18:22 PM »

I've noticed that some military and or commercial transmitters and exciters list "AME" as a mode of operation. What the heck is that?.. Could that be AM with one sideband? I've also heard the term "compatible AM"

Can anyone shed some light on this?

WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2006, 02:06:52 PM »

compatible sideband transmission: Independent sideband transmission in which the carrier is deliberately reinserted at a lower level after its normal suppression to permit reception by conventional AM receivers. (188) Note: Compatible sideband transmission is usually single-sideband (SSB) amplitude-modulation-equivalent (AME) transmission consisting of the emission of the carrier plus the upper sideband. Synonym amplitude modulation equivalent.

http://www.its.bldrdoc.gov/fs-1037/dir-008/_1158.htm
Glenn NY4NC
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2006, 05:30:17 PM »

Thanks for the explaination Bud. My reason for asking is I have always thought it would be cool to use one of these surplus exciters on the ham bands. Should be easy enough to modify an AME into true AM.

compatible sideband transmission: Independent sideband transmission in which the carrier is deliberately reinserted at a lower level after its normal suppression to permit reception by conventional AM receivers. (188) Note: Compatible sideband transmission is usually single-sideband (SSB) amplitude-modulation-equivalent (AME) transmission consisting of the emission of the carrier plus the upper sideband. Synonym amplitude modulation equivalent.

http://www.its.bldrdoc.gov/fs-1037/dir-008/_1158.htm
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015