The AM Forum
May 05, 2024, 12:58:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 3825 today  (Read 10144 times)
WA1GFZ

« on: January 22, 2006, 09:48:54 PM »

I was just monitoring when that slop bucket moron turned on AM to tell you guys how the FCC is going to snip the amer sidebands. so 11 meters..........

I prefer no rule changes just let us duke it out in the trenches with these losers. no rule change will change these loser idiots without a life.
He was the only one generating wide band crap I didn't even have to turn on the spectrum display.

These idiots fail to see that the high comression ratios are wide and will get treated the same if and bandwidth rule is passed.
WA3VJB
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2006, 04:50:45 AM »

Heya Frank,
Yeah, he was a trip. I've ignored him completely the past 3 times he confronted us.
This time I wanted to play with him a little. He almost sounded spent at the end, so maybe he knows he didn't get a rise out of us and that he was the one who looked foolish.
We had Alan, Art, Dave and a few others all being unusually reasonable, huh-HA!  so the guy didn't know how to handle it.
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2006, 07:08:26 AM »

Just about everyone (except Paul JTD) straps that guy anyway.... all he's doing is wasting electricity.  That nasty noise is prolly pretty hard on his leen-yar, too.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2006, 09:22:10 AM »

Looks like the "peaceful valley" aint so peaceful after all. I have listened to youse guys down there from time to time, It stops being so peaceful after you have been there for a while. It seems like the natives get restless after a few hours and all hell breaks loose. The slopbucket qwerm is no better wherever you go. You just gotta learn to deal with it. You can be in the middle of an empty band and some asshole on sideband will have to fire up right next to you. Go figger! It is what it is!!!!!
                                                                 The Slab Bacon

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
WA1GFZ

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2006, 10:12:57 AM »

QRO works for me. I notice the bed bugs have invaded 160 also.
WA3VJB
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2006, 12:53:42 PM »

Isolated incident, although 'peaceful valley' is a BRENT term, not mine.

Being down there more than in 'the window' anymore has taught me to be more aware of the need to be courteous.

People outside of the AM regulars not only listen a lot, but when they check in, very few have chips on their shoulders.

I think it's because we behave, have an obvious good time, and run clean, powerful signals. Hard to argue with any of that, unless you have social problems like our correspondent of last night.
k3zrf

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2006, 01:49:49 PM »

Isolated incident, although 'peaceful valley' is a BRENT term, not mine.  Hard to argue with any of that, unless you have social problems like our correspondent of last night.

Correspondent, eh?  I guess I should check in more often for a serving of doom seekers and naysayers.

Still good to hear guys on even tho we had additional entertainment.

dave/zrf
A closed mouth gathers no foot
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2006, 07:32:33 PM »

Take pity on that poor guy. In a couple of years he won't be around. A regular 40 metre QRMer went SK a couple of months back. I miss him already.
k3zrf

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2006, 07:48:34 PM »

Nonny No Neck get to him?

dave/zrf
A closed mouth gathers no foot
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2006, 07:51:04 PM »

Nope. He didn't take the best care of himself.
W2JBL

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2006, 08:19:24 PM »

Peacefull Valley? it sure wasn't the night N2YR and myself got attacked down there. nice jamming and carriers start every night about 7PM when a bunch of sidebanders come on to use "their frequency", on which we do not belong after 7PM. that night we switched to SSB were joined by K1ETP, K1KW and a few others, and the bad guys ran away, so at least we had a happy ending. i heard them down there tonight griping about splatter from old chairs squeeking, Dave ZRF's nice high frequency response, and another guy's "frog" ID timer. some people just don't get it!
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2006, 08:20:49 PM »

February and March are official "Drive By Shooting" months on 75M. Hambone cabin fever. Buckle down - the best is yet to come... Grin

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2006, 08:23:31 PM »

"some people just don't get it!"

It is impossible to 'get it' when you are stupid. Pity these so called jammers. Their lives must be hell.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2006, 08:58:44 PM »

"They usually sound much taller on the radio"
Paul, K2ORC
Contributing

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2006, 10:37:56 AM »

I have a good time "down low".  You can usually depend on one shmuck to turn up and dump a carrier intermittently between 4:30 and 5:00.  Then he goes away.  I think 5:00 is when the nurse turns up to spoonfeed him mashed potatoes and applesauce.  Eventually the idiot will roll his wheelchair over his O2 hose and that'll be that about that.   

Go Duke![/b]
Glenn NY4NC
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2006, 08:45:15 AM »

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

Oh Man!!! I gotta get back on the air!... I'm missing all the fun!!!  Grin Grin Grin

I think 5:00 is when the nurse turns up to spoonfeed him mashed potatoes and applesauce. Eventually the idiot will roll his wheelchair over his O2 hose and that'll be that about that.

WB3JOK

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2006, 09:10:27 AM »

I was browsing 75m the other day and heard several carriers as I spun the dial... first thought was that I'd left my HW-101's bandswitch on 40m and it was foreign broadcasters. But I did hear W1UJR identify on 3825 so I finally figured out it was the AMers Grin

Unfortunately the antics aren't limited to 75m (although they seem to have more of it)...near 14.275 the other day someone was playing a tape recording of a high-pitched male voice shouting something like "The frequency is in use, you're interfering with a QSO 1.5 kc above you", over and over again (and it moved around the band so as to deliberately QRM other contacts). Real gentlemen all.

-Charles
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2006, 10:42:46 AM »

Ah yes, the instigators...

I remember once on 3850, I  heard an ssb  group of deep south red necks calmly talking about a black group below them on 3847.  I tuned down 3kc and heard the black group calmly talking about the red necks above them. What a set up.

Then someone came in there with a black accent and said to the red necks:  "I don't mean to trouble you guys, but you're chewing up our QSO down 3kc. Would you PLEASE mind sliding your cracker asses up the band a little?"  Then someone went down to the black group with a red neck accent and said basically the same thing about moving their group down the band.

It was frickin fireworks after that. The rednecks started yelling amongst themselves that they "ain't going nowhere", and the black group did the same. The audio got turned up until they splattered each other into oblivion. End of QSO.  Grin  The instigator was probably beside himself in laughter.

Watch out for the set ups and the practical joke instigators.... Once confronted and acknowleged to be malicious, laugh at them to expose the futility, and then carry on in a normal manner like they aren't even there, with QRO  Wink   If they learn your buttons, you pay the price every time.

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
W1ATR
Resident HVAC junkie

« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2006, 11:54:25 AM »

Greeting all.

This thread pretty much sums up my whole reason for wanting to get away from ssb forever. While there are quite a few good operators to talk with, there's an equal amount of nuckle heads out there who want nothing more than to see everyone fight over horsesh*t. It's a damn good thing I didn't read the piss-and-moan forum that goes on and on over at q*zed before I got licensed, otherwise I may have said the hell with it, and never got back into radio. I'm not into radio "cliques", I'll talk to anyone about anything, and greet everyone that shows up with a cq. You'll never hear me say, "Well you were talking to them, so now you can't talk to us!" Like it's a 4th grade school yard.

Besides, riceboxes have no soul. They take away the tinkering that makes this a fun hobby when the band is dead. That's why mine are parked in the closet.

Hopefully, I'll have my project done and come out QRO by spring.

Jared W1ATR
Speak softly, and carry a big strap. Wink

Don't start nuthin, there won't be nuthin.

Jared W1ATR

Click for radio pix
WA3VJB
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2006, 02:30:22 PM »

A lot of SSB ops don't realize there's anything else to do, thanks in part to 'invisible AM' syndrome afflicting a certain publishing and subscription club in Newington.

Another benefit of being a warm and inviting presence down low on 75 is the pleasant discovery by longtime hams who “haven't heard AM in years,” to post-AM Rule guys trying the mode for the first time. Highly recommended.

WA3VJB
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2006, 02:34:29 PM »

A lot of SSB ops don't realize there's anything else to do, thanks in part to 'invisible AM' syndrome afflicting a certain publishing and subscription club in Newington.

Another benefit of being a warm and inviting presence down low on 75 is the pleasant discovery by longtime hams who “haven't heard AM in years,” to post-AM Rule guys trying the mode for the first time. Highly recommended.

KA1ZGC
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2006, 04:12:07 PM »

I had that happen a few weeks ago down on 3822-ish. I fired up zero-beat to a local product from the cell site on Timmy's property and started calling CQ. Five or six minutes later, I got a call back from a VE9 station on a ricebox who almost never worked AM but was impressed with how good AM sounds when it's not all bunched and crowded together. We had a very pleasant QSO for ten or fifteen minutes. After he signed, a bunch of the usual suspects started drifting in and the frequency was HI HI FB for most of the afternoon.

Evening, of course, brought out all those guys with their God-given rights to their pet frequencies, but there's no portion of the spectrum immune to that.

Most people aren't like that, but a few bad apples spoil it for everyone else. The few that hear an AM signal and decide to fire up the carrier and call back are worth the knuckle-draggers that make it a point to make everyone else as miserable as they are.

Besides, it's only a hobby. Joke 'em if they can't take a screw.

--Thom
King Abraham One Zebraham George Charlie
WA3VJB
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2006, 07:50:54 PM »

there's no portion of the spectrum immune to that.

Exactly why the "windows" concept is obsolete.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone 2001-2015