The AM Forum
May 06, 2024, 06:47:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A slap in the face!  (Read 8720 times)
The Slab Bacon

« on: January 22, 2006, 11:46:43 AM »

Here is one for yoouse guys to ponder. What would you do in this situation?
Yesterday, I received a letter in the mail from the Baltimore county emergency management agency asking me to join their R.A.C.E.S. network. They want ham radio emergency communications group / net in the name of "homeland security". Being the "civic minded" partiot that I am, one would think that it would be a no brainer. But here is where the plot thickens!
        A few years back, a misplaced TVI complaint from a neighbor created a real can of worms for me. A few years ago a nasty storm took down a tree which took down all of the utility lines behind our houses. Our local half assed cable tv company has yet to fix all of the leaks in the cable. (you can actually watch many of the cable channels with a tv with rabbit ears!). I guess they dont want to spend the money to recable the damaged area. At $57.00 a month for basic cable this is rediculous!
       My one neighbor really had problems with me getting into his cable. After many calls to our local cable company (with no results) he called Baltimore county to see what his options were. Not knowing what else to do, they forwarded him to the local zoning board, and here is where all hell broke loose. A local zoning inspector inspected my antennas and issued me a zoning violation notice for the height of my antennas being above the counties 50' limit. Keeping in mind that I was just recovering from a nasty back injury, I was unable to climb the tower and do anything. He gave me an extension to get it completed. Meanwhile we got one of the worst snowstorms we had had in 25 years. With more than 3 feet of snow on the ground, I was even more helpless to do anything. It was so cold that the snow did not melt away for several months. Meanwhile 30 days to the minute that miserable S.O.B. was here to write me a citation and issue me a $12,800.00 FINE!!!!!! That miserable bastard was too chicken to face me and left the ticket in my mailbox. My wife found it and called me at work, screaming, crying and hysterical.
        I finally got someone in here with a man-lift bucket truck to saw off the top of my mast and reduce it to the required 50' limit. I called the zoning inspector and he came out and reinspected it and released me of the fine liability. (big sigh of relief)
He also assured me that he would be periodically checking on me to be sure that I didnt put them back up! Go figger!
        The top half of the mast that was sawed off held all of my vhf beam antennas and 6m vertical. Before this happened I had 6, 2, 220, and 440 simplex base to mobile coverage over the entire state, and base to handheld coverage over all of the Baltimore county area. I no longer even have the ability to help them out, by their own making.
         Now here we go, would YOU have the balls to go up to someone and ask them for help after you slapped them in the face?Huh (I still have the zoning ticket showing the fine framed and hanging on the wall in the shack) What would you do in this situation??
         I am planning to write them back a letter, but I am undecided between 2 choices on what to tell them. Choice 1 is to flat out tell them to "go pound sand up your ass"! or choice 2 is to tell them that if they would be willing issue me a zoning variance and pay for the professional replacement and reinstallation of my antennas, I would be willing to help them out.  WHAT WOULD YOU DO IN THIS SITUATION???
                                                                        The Slab Bacon   

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
Ed KB1HVS

« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2006, 12:08:33 PM »

Copy what you wrote here word for word and sent it off to the dimwit. It might take him a couple of reads to figure it out Send another copy to the cable company too. They try to cut your balls off and now they want you to help. Roll Eyes

Errr. After rereading this what I ment to write is you want to help but they try to cut your BAs off... Embarrassed

KB1HVS. Your Hi Value Station
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2006, 12:11:44 PM »

Frank,
    I would tell this agency that you were a very interested and sincerely civic minded amatuer radio operator until said event occurred. At which point you garnered a pestimistic view-point about any relief effort having to do of and for the county of Baltimore. Or you can tell them to go pound sand!

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2006, 12:27:23 PM »

Slab,

I would use this request as leverage.  Put together your thoughts with an emphasis on becoming a, "world class" emergency amateur radio station for the town.   In this world of terrorist fear and civil preparedness, you will be trumping their little restriction requests.  Present your plan to somebody above them with power. You need more tower height to carry out emergency communications effectively.

For example, when I wanted a variance in this town, the restiction was 60' and cell tower requests were being beat up.  I wanted to erect two 190'ers and one 160'er. I put together a 45 page booklet that told how my radio station would be a "world class" amateur radio emergency station that the town could depend upon during emergencies. Generator power, traffic handling, etc.  After my presentation before the variance board at the public hearing [maybe 100 people were there] I could see the nodding heads. Then one of the board members said, "yes, it would be nice to have a world class emergency station in our town"... and they passed it without a problem. I felt like running home and starting the job before they changed their minds...  Grin

But, since then, I occassionally have police stop by on routine patrol and they are all aware of my station and it's "town purpose". And, I stand ready to do my part if called upon.

So, appeal to a higher authority with a noble cause and those little minded twits will be squashed in their puke, OM.
Caw mawn.

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2006, 12:49:40 PM »

Start with a paper trail showing how the cable company isn't providing service for their customers. Get a third party technician over to make measurements of leakage. Notify the cable company with all I's dotted and T's crossed exactly what has been measured with respect to leakage. Include a narrative of their past unwillingness to repair the system if you don't already have written correspondence. Read the FCC nastygrams to see how broken down cable systems are being dealt with. http://www.fcc.gov/eb/FieldNotices/
Find out when your town council meets. Go to some meetings. Obtain particulars as to when the cable company's charter expires. Let it be known that you have documentation as to poor performance of the existing cable company. You will most likely find that all the $$$$$s surrounding renewal of the charter will make things happen.

My feeling is that you should join the emergency com group with a positive attitude. Things will turn around.

I used to be on a first name basis with the local zoning inspector where I lived. It started out just as ugly as your situation. The whole thing was due to a cable outfit which refused to provide repair service. It took about 5 years but they landed up learning an important lesson. 

Your skills should not go unused.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2006, 05:13:10 PM »

Tell the inspector you would be glad to help and by the way mention that you need the proper hardware to do the job right. Make him feel like helping you will help him.
I was told the building inspector in the town I am building in was a pita. I don't agree at all. He has been very helpful and I bend over backwards to assure him he is in the driver's  Telling him to pound sand as much as you would like to would guarantee the antenna will stay at 50 feet. Dave is right get a third party to measuer the crud.
You might consider sending 3 or 4 KV up the cable co coax next lightning storm.
Nothing like a good failure to force a repair.
Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2006, 06:38:48 PM »

Frank - I'd be tempted to make 'em pound sand, but would request the zoning variance and the necessary expenditures to reinstall your antenna farm the way it was before they made you take it down.At least you can exploit the fruits of their labors (and monies) if they do grant you the request.

I think you've got nothing to loose with this one!
                                                                    Joe N3IBX

Joe Cro N3IBX

Anything that is Breadboarded,Black Crackle, or that squeals when you tune it gives me MAJOR WOOD!
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2006, 06:50:03 PM »

Not cheap but crankup towers are usually considered a permanent structure at their nested (cranked down) height.
Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2006, 06:56:11 PM »

Not cheap but crankup towers are usually considered a permanent structure at their nested (cranked down) height.

Frank - Wasn't your old tower a crank up driven by a motorized winch?

Dave - Many THANKS for helping me chase the itinerant asshole corntester off of 160M last night!
Joe N3IBX

Joe Cro N3IBX

Anything that is Breadboarded,Black Crackle, or that squeals when you tune it gives me MAJOR WOOD!
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2006, 08:38:52 PM »

Frank,
        You dont know how many times that I have been tempted to fire the plate supply from the 4x1 rig (3400v @ 1a) into the cable so they would come and fix it once and for all. However i know that it would cause a lot of damage to the neighbors stuff. Since all of my neighbors know I play with this stuff, I would be the first one that they would point a finger at. Anytime anyone in the hood has any kind of electronic failure, they usually knock on my door and ask if I had anything to do with it. Believe me, its tempting!!!!! The cable company, believe it or not is comcast! (I call them cum fast) Their technicians are a bunch of worthless kids that know nothing about RF or radio theory. If they hook their cable analyzer to the end of the line and see that the signal level is acceptable they will tell you to "have a nice day".
        One of the problems here is that in this neighborhood, all of the cable feeders that go to the houses are around 60 -70 feet long! Go figger, a perfect 1/4 wave on 75m!! The neighbor who called Zoning approached me later to talk about it. I threatened him with death, dismemberment, and the barbequeing and consumption of his first born!! My dago temper was running at warp speed!! After much ass kissing and appologizing (by him) we got it all worked out. I made him a simple torroidal choke to eliminate the rf riding in on the shield of the coax and all was well. I have since provided these same filters to all who are in the "near field" area.
         He asked me how come, if it was that simple, comcast couldnt do it, I just laughed. I should probably also have them take it to thew Public Service Commission. I believe that if they are providing a subscription service that you are paying for, they are supposed to provide you with a "usable service".
         Since I have no real interest in getting back on VHF, I dont really care how it ends up. Although there is nothing that I would like more than to slap that prick zoning inspector right in the face, i really dont care how it ends up. I still get occasional rfi complaints, and I just tell them to call the FCC. one of the neighbors got really pissed off when the FCC told them "you and him will have to work it out".
         After thinking about it I have decided that I will tell them if they would like my help, they will have to pay for the restoration of my equiptment, and furnish me with a zoning variance.
         And to Joe, My tower is not a crank up, I sure wish it was, I'd have never had the problem in the first place.
                                                                    The Slab Bacon

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2006, 08:41:13 PM »

Frank - Wasn't your old tower a crank up driven by a motorized winch?

Dave - Many THANKS for helping me chase the itinerant asshole corntester off of 160M last night!
Joe N3IBX

Always happy to fully document part 97 violations and help. Let me know if you need a copy of the audio.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2006, 09:39:39 PM »

Frank,
Make some sauce and meatballs and pick up some good wine. Think your next move carefully. BTW W3JN had a big box of snap on chokes that would fit right over cable he gave me a handful the last time I saw him. They work great.

Didn't it make you feel good when I suggested the lightning bolt though.
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2006, 09:58:02 PM »

Frank, a report to the FCC maybe in order. They may take care of crap when it comes to ham bands, but they take a very dim view on unauthorized emissions. Especially when it is being radiated by the cable company. I think it stems from the fact they are tranmitting on frequencies that are authorized to other users. Because of this, they are to keep inside the cable. Any emission outside, and they are in violation. What do you have to lose?

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
WA1GFZ

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2006, 10:02:44 PM »

Mike has a point. Find a nozzel head and have open his squelch to check if he can hear anything on the fire band. That will bring a quick response from the man. Go down to the local fire house and tell them they could be getting qrmed by the cable co. Just throw out a couple suggestions. Try it on a cop if you know any. get a bigger gang to fight the battle and sit back and enjoy the show.
wa2zdy
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2006, 10:27:51 PM »

In December 1992 we had a major nor'easter roll into central NJ.  Some of you might remember it.  I had oak trees down in my yard and our power was out for three days. 

I was not a member of RACES but I had my rig up and running and my family was safe and secure.  So I volunteered to go to the county radio room and help out overnight the first night.  I was in a good position to do this as I lived nearby while most of the other more public service minded hams in the county live out near the ocean.   It worked out well and I like to think I was able to contribute in some small way.

Some weeks later, after I'd gotten a certificate of appreciation from the county, I learned that being a non-member of RACES, there were questions about my presence in the radio room.  Basically one guy (now long gone) had a personal issue with me that I've never figured out and made it clear I was a nut, not to be trusted and most certainly never to be permitted into the radio room again.  After that "declaration" I was never again even welcomed to offer help to ongoing situation - fairly common affairs here in a seaside county. 

Lesson learned.

Then one day the powers that be learned I had gotten a 5kw generator.   All of a sudden I was a trustworthy ham again capable of helping out.  Yeah, uh huh.  I told the bastards to pound sand.

A few years ago after all this hoopla had died down I did in fact join RACES and ARES.  I've never participated and I never will.  Stuck it to me once, they can go screw off.  But I've got the cards now to prove they did let me in.   One day again they'll want my generator.  And unlike the night I left my family, safe and warm as they were, alone, my generator will be keeping my house and my immediate neighbours with at least a light on.  The county?  God bless 'em, I sure won't.

John Holotko

« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2006, 11:08:46 PM »

Frank,
        You dont know how many times that I have been tempted to fire the plate supply from the 4x1 rig (3400v @ 1a) into the cable so they would come and fix it once and for all. However i know that it would cause a lot of damage to the neighbors stuff. Since all of my neighbors know I play with this stuff, I would be the first one that they would point a finger at. Anytime anyone in the hood has any kind of electronic failure, they usually knock on my door and ask if I had anything to do with it. Believe me, its tempting!!!!! The cable company, believe it or not is comcast! (I call them cum fast) Their technicians are a bunch of worthless kids that know nothing about RF or radio theory. If they hook their cable analyzer to the end of the line and see that the signal level is acceptable they will tell you to "have a nice day".
        One of the problems here is that in this neighborhood, all of the cable feeders that go to the houses are around 60 -70 feet long! Go figger, a perfect 1/4 wave on 75m!! The neighbor who called Zoning approached me later to talk about it. I threatened him with death, dismemberment, and the barbequeing and consumption of his first born!! My dago temper was running at warp speed!! After much ass kissing and appologizing (by him) we got it all worked out. I made him a simple torroidal choke to eliminate the rf riding in on the shield of the coax and all was well. I have since provided these same filters to all who are in the "near field" area.
         He asked me how come, if it was that simple, comcast couldnt do it, I just laughed. I should probably also have them take it to thew Public Service Commission. I believe that if they are providing a subscription service that you are paying for, they are supposed to provide you with a "usable service".
         Since I have no real interest in getting back on VHF, I dont really care how it ends up. Although there is nothing that I would like more than to slap that prick zoning inspector right in the face, i really dont care how it ends up. I still get occasional rfi complaints, and I just tell them to call the FCC. one of the neighbors got really pissed off when the FCC told them "you and him will have to work it out".
         After thinking about it I have decided that I will tell them if they would like my help, they will have to pay for the restoration of my equiptment, and furnish me with a zoning variance.
         And to Joe, My tower is not a crank up, I sure wish it was, I'd have never had the problem in the first place.
                                                                    The Slab Bacon

I had a neigbor a number years back who was starting to grow  irate and was calling the FCC on me. At first he told them  my CB set was coming over his TV. The FCC sent me a letter and I told them I don;t own or use a CB. A few  months later  the neighbor must have called them again. They sent me a letter and an RF Interference handbook and said they got a complaint about my "Amateur Radio Station" and suggested I make sure my rig is running clean. A month or so later  the neighbor met me outside and told me he was pissed off at the "beurocratic FCC" because all they did in response to his complaint was to send him an "Interferecne Handbook". He was dissapointed because he was hoping they'd fine me or kick me off the air. He  hasn't sait a  word about it to me since..

N2IZE<br /><br />Because infinity comes in different sizes.
Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2006, 11:18:22 PM »

Mike has a point. Find a nozzel head and have open his squelch to check if he can hear anything on the fire band. That will bring a quick response from the man. Go down to the local fire house and tell them they could be getting qrmed by the cable co. Just throw out a couple suggestions. Try it on a cop if you know any. get a bigger gang to fight the battle and sit back and enjoy the show.

Good point. If you need a scanner I'll bring one down to you.
Joe -IBX

Joe Cro N3IBX

Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2006, 11:22:48 PM »

Frank,
                                                                    The Slab Bacon

I had a neigbor a number years back who was starting to grow  irate and was calling the FCC on me. At first he told them  my CB set was coming over his TV. The FCC sent me a letter and I told them I don;t own or use a CB. A few  months later  the neighbor must have called them again. They sent me a letter and an RF Interference handbook and said they got a complaint about my "Amateur Radio Station" and suggested I make sure my rig is running clean. A month or so later  the neighbor met me outside and told me he was pissed off at the "beurocratic FCC" because all they did in response to his complaint was to send him an "Interferecne Handbook". He was dissapointed because he was hoping they'd fine me or kick me off the air. He  hasn't sait a  word about it to me since..

John - Your neighbor was a true idiot. I'm glad the FCC really pissed him off! About him not talking to you about it, be thankful of small favors. I wouldn't give him the time of day.
Joe N3IBX

Joe Cro N3IBX

John Holotko

« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2006, 02:12:47 AM »

Frank,
                                                                    The Slab Bacon

John - Your neighbor was a true idiot. I'm glad the FCC really pissed him off! About him not talking to you about it, be thankful of small favors. I wouldn't give him the time of day.
Joe N3IBX

yep Joe I had the same  exact feeling when he spoke to me. I was glad  the FCC got him pissing and  moaning. The guy is/was a hot shot lawyer and he  thought I was a dumb punk. He figured he was smarter and better than I. He figured he'd make a couple phone calls and voila' this punk would be flushed off the air for good.  Well he figured it wrong and I was quite  pleased when the FCC brushed him off. Actually the FCC handled the incident quite well .

N2IZE<br /><br />Because infinity comes in different sizes.
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2006, 07:14:12 AM »

Frank,
Make some sauce and meatballs and pick up some good wine. Think your next move carefully. BTW W3JN had a big box of snap on chokes that would fit right over cable he gave me a handful the last time I saw him. They work great.

Still got a bunch, however many you want, Frank...

BTW check to see if there's leakage in the 108-136 MHz region.  If so, call the Feces and the FAA.  They take a VERY dim view of cable leakage in the aircraft band, especially so since you're pretty close to BWI.

73 John

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2006, 08:51:30 PM »

And even closer to Martin.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015