The AM Forum
May 05, 2024, 09:11:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Raytheon RA-250 Bagged!  (Read 6069 times)
Gary - WA4IAM
« on: January 15, 2006, 10:25:18 PM »

Just posted a picture in the Image Gallery of me at the pickup site with my newly acquired RA-250. There is lots of work to be done on it, finding all the i-run, retubing (it came with only one 810) and general cleanup. One lucky break is that it came with a manual and screamatic. Speaking of cleanup, the plate that goes in the bottom that holds the trannies is pretty much covered in lovely tar-gunk. Any suggestions on something to clean the tar up with that will leave the paint on the plate intact? One step on the way to 160 meter hear-a-bility!!  Grin
Glenn NY4NC
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2006, 09:57:45 AM »

Congrats Gary!.. nice looking transmitter. Where are you located?.. I just moved to Winston Salem a few months ago... If you hear of any "smaller" BC xmtrs becoming available in this area (that you don't want) let me know!

Thanks!
John K5PRO

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2006, 10:38:17 AM »

Back in the college radio station WUVT we bagged a RA-250 from Baltimore, hauled it down to VA and set it in our engineering room (1978). It never was turned on, much less restored. I had plans to get it on and use it as a carrier current transmitter on campus, as we had a 25 and 50 watt LPB running. But it was so big and inefficient that the job never materialized. I left it there when i graduated, and about 5 years later went back and found it had been hauled to the dumpster by someone with less packrat tendencies than I. That thing sure had enough meters on it.

I believe that there is still one installed as backup at WKDK in Newberry, SC, i saw it a few years back.
KL7OF

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2006, 10:53:27 AM »

The dark tar like substance on the bottom of your RA 250 is known as Transmitter Snark or Tx Goo...... I have had very good success removing it with the cheap orange cleaner in the spray/squirt bottle available at China Mart...Your mileage may vary. Don't get any on you......Congratulations and good luck.......Steve
Gary - WA4IAM
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2006, 10:44:18 PM »

The dark tar like substance on the bottom of your RA 250 is known as Transmitter Snark or Tx Goo...... I have had very good success removing it with the cheap orange cleaner in the spray/squirt bottle available at China Mart...Your mileage may vary. Don't get any on you......Congratulations and good luck.......Steve

Thanks for the tip Steve. When time comes to clean up the plate I'll give that orange cleaner a try. I figured it might be advisable to use rubber gloves when trying to get rid of the "snark" (love the name).

Glenn, I'm up here in Reidsville, about 50 minutes drive from you. Sent you a PM on it.
Glenn NY4NC
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2006, 01:43:37 AM »

Hi Gary;

Thanks!... I just sent you a PM reply...

WA3VJB
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2006, 06:54:19 AM »

Raytheon used potted tranformers in the RA-1000 and probably also the RA-250. It''s not the solid stuff like you find in the Collins 32V2 transformers, but is more like 90W differential lube when it warms up, and eventually it seeps past the laminations and makes the mess you've found on the floor of the transmitter.

Two benefits from the stuff is that it helps block moisture from getting inside the iron, and in the case of the modulation transformer it helps reduce talkback that can cause mechanical-acoustical feedback squealage.
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2006, 09:45:20 AM »

Two benefits from the stuff is that it helps block moisture from getting inside the iron, and in the case of the modulation transformer it helps reduce talkback that can cause mechanical-acoustical feedback squealage.

Plus... it makes a good undercoat to keep the bottom of the beast from rusting out !
N8ECR
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2006, 10:12:04 AM »

TRANSMITTER SNARK!!!

I have used a product called Grease Lightning with real good results, and another I used to use was a bath room cleaner called THE WORKS, however the cemical make up has resently changed, and it ain't worth a damn anymore.  I advise you to wash it down with soap and water after using this stuff cause of the acids they contain. and wear gloves OM.
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2006, 01:41:51 PM »

... Ya can take it to a self-serv car wash and use the engine degreaser setting..Try not to get the fluid onto the 'lectrical stuff.. use the yl/xyl's air dryer.... works like a champ... then use a nice Carnuba wax and buff with old towles....  klc

What? Me worry?
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2006, 03:15:54 PM »

Speaking of cleanup, the plate that goes in the bottom that holds the trannies is pretty much covered in lovely tar-gunk. Any suggestions on something to clean the tar up with that will leave the paint on the plate intact?

Congrats, Gary. The Raytheon gear is VERY high quality, well-built stuff.

The lower deck of the WGAI RA-1000 was covered in this crap around two of the transformers. The original iron actually has plugs on it for filling and draining. I'm wondering if the mess had anything to do with the two pieces of Dahl replacement mod iron?

BTW, if anyone is interested in having their own BC rig...the RA-1000 transmitter is available for sale. Change of plans and a move later in the year make it impractical to pursue at this time. Currently in kit form (partially disassembled for ease of transport), many spares, etc. Will post photos and a better description to the For Sale section as time permits. Sure is purty, really wanted to keep it....

Everyone should have at least one broadcast transmitter, maybe two? Smiley

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2006, 05:20:51 PM »

Gary - Congradulations! If you need anything for it let me first before going to the e-rip off place. If I gots it, you gots it. I can't wait to hear it on the air!
                                Joe N3IBX

Joe Cro N3IBX

Anything that is Breadboarded,Black Crackle, or that squeals when you tune it gives me MAJOR WOOD!
Powell
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2006, 10:28:56 PM »

Back in the college radio station WUVT we bagged a RA-250 from Baltimore, hauled it down to VA and set it in our engineering room (1978). It never was turned on, much less restored. I had plans to get it on and use it as a carrier current transmitter on campus, as we had a 25 and 50 watt LPB running. But it was so big and inefficient that the job never materialized. I left it there when i graduated, and about 5 years later went back and found it had been hauled to the dumpster by someone with less packrat tendencies than I. That thing sure had enough meters on it.

I believe that there is still one installed as backup at WKDK in Newberry, SC, i saw it a few years back.

Indeed it is. And the main foir NOW is RCA BTA 1R2. I up at WKDK 1240 Newberry SC today.

Powell  W4OPW

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015