The AM Forum
May 03, 2024, 03:48:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ARRL Petition has already brought up the issue of outlawing AM  (Read 22507 times)
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2006, 11:25:37 PM »

"but I'm sure it plays a part in the bad impression they have of us."

I'm not sure. I would be, if one of the anti-AMers actually mentioned it. Anything else is supposition. Regardless, it's a red herring issue. The majority of amateurs have never even tuned into an AM QSO, let alone one in which so called bad behavior took place.

Last time I checked, having fun on the air is not prohibited in Part 97.

Have fun. Grin
John Holotko

« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2006, 11:32:57 PM »

The day AM is outlawed will be the ............

.... the day I become an outlaw !!

The day AM is outlawed I'll be running AM.

N2IZE<br /><br />Because infinity comes in different sizes.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2006, 11:37:38 PM »

Here is some dope on Richard (Rick) L. Tannehill - W7RT, author of the anti-AM comment.

Candidate statement when running for NCI (No Code International) director

Members of the NCI Board of Directors
(Name, address and e-mail address in alphabetical order by last name)

Interesting, but nevertheless, a waste of effort to cuss and discuss the asshole.  Better to put the time and energy into composing comments to the FCC on the RM's.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
John Holotko

« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2006, 04:23:20 AM »

Here is some dope on Richard (Rick) L. Tannehill - W7RT, author of the anti-AM comment.

Candidate statement when running for NCI (No Code International) director

Members of the NCI Board of Directors
(Name, address and e-mail address in alphabetical order by last name)

Interesting, but nevertheless, a waste of effort to cuss and discuss the asshole.  Better to put the time and energy into composing comments to the FCC on the RM's.

To an extent I agree wi6th him on the idea of a "no-code"  ticket. I have often felt that the code should be eliminated as a pas/fail mechanism for getting a license. Yes, I understand cw is a great "dedication and devotion" factor and yes cw should always remain a valid mode for those who enjoy using it (including myself).  But I think there arer other ways we can gauge ones devotion and dedication to ham radio.  However I disagree with his assessment that elimination of the cw requirement will bring that many more kids into radio and thus into the engineering field. I think there are other reasons that act as stumbling blocks for young people going into engineering thatn have far far more impact than cw or ham radio ever had or will have.

And yes,  I made my comments on the RM proposals, I am in favor of 11305 and opposed to 11306.

N2IZE<br /><br />Because infinity comes in different sizes.
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2006, 08:40:00 AM »

I'm not sure. I would be, if one of the anti-AMers actually mentioned it. Anything else is supposition. Regardless, it's a red herring issue. The majority of amateurs have never even tuned into an AM QSO, let alone one in which so called bad behavior took place.

Agreed, Steve.

And there's a difference between on air behavior and qso content. Listen to some of the SSB qso groups night after night and take in the filth that dominates much of their "discussions". In contrast, the "usual" 75M AM group that cuts it up from time to time is righteous !
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2006, 09:01:44 AM »

"In recent years some of these AM stations have chosen to violate the band plan and operate anywhere in the phone bands, creating harmful interference to SSB operations (this is particularly evident on the 80 meter band). If the FCC is to allow 9 kHz for these stations, rules should be implemented to restrict these stations to a 4.5 kHz bandwidth (SSB AM) if they do not abide by the ARRL band plan."

Of course, if SSB stations weren't violating the band plan in the first place by operating in the 75M AM window, it's likely the AM stations wouldn't have been found elsewhere in the band.

Did this individual check to see if there was any SSB activity in the AM window in violation of the band plan at the same time he noted AM operations outside of the window?

Some engineer.
Glenn NY4NC
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2006, 12:39:12 PM »

You have to wonder if the folks that complain about burping and farting on 75m watch TV?

There's a lot worse being broadcast legally every day on your favorite TV Channel.

".....lighten up Francis"

The negative effects of on-air behavior by AMers are debatable. Just consider: If they were so objectionable, we wouldn't see the immense growth of AM. Further, in reading the anti-AM comments, not one mentioned on-air behavior. Their arguments centered around bandwidth and antiquity. Seems this other stuff is a red herring.
Ed KB1HVS

« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2006, 12:47:58 PM »

20m is a nice clean milk and white bread place. Sure........

KB1HVS. Your Hi Value Station
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2006, 05:07:48 PM »

"In recent years some of these AM stations have chosen to violate the band plan and operate anywhere in the phone bands, creating harmful interference to SSB operations (this is particularly evident on the 80 meter band). If the FCC is to allow 9 kHz for these stations, rules should be implemented to restrict these stations to a 4.5 kHz bandwidth (SSB AM) if they do not abide by the ARRL band plan."

Of course, if SSB stations weren't violating the band plan in the first place by operating in the 75M AM window, it's likely the AM stations wouldn't have been found elsewhere in the band.

Did this individual check to see if there was any SSB activity in the AM window in violation of the band plan at the same time he noted AM operations outside of the window?

Some engineer.

I don’t recall ever seeing a widely published band plan that defines an “AM window”. The published band plans only define “AM calling frequencies”. Beyond that, any frequency is fair game unless the FCC declares a frequency for emergency type use.

I operate "phone" wherever phone is allowed; sometimes it's SSB and sometimes it's AM and, maybe in the future, it will be digital voice.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2006, 05:48:37 PM »

I don’t recall ever seeing a widely published band plan that defines an “AM window”. The published band plans only define “AM calling frequencies”. Beyond that, any frequency is fair game unless the FCC declares a frequency for emergency type use.

I operate "phone" wherever phone is allowed; sometimes it's SSB and sometimes it's AM and, maybe in the future, it will be digital voice.

Pete, you're technically correct. Nevertheless, in my view unless a 75 M operator just crawled out from under a cabbage leaf, they'd know that 3880 +/- is commonly considered an AM window, just as DXers congregate around certain parts of the band, hi-fi SSBers and local/regional nets congregate around other frequencies, none of which are "official", either. While I could lawfully do so, I don't and won't operate AM in the commonly-accepted "DX Window" from 3750 to 3800 as a matter of common sense and courtesy, and we AM ops should expect the same consideration from others.

I don't think that you would operate any phone mode in the bottom 25 KHz of 160 meters!

Even though lawful, no one operates CW in the phone portions of the bands, pretty much for the same reasons that AM operations voluntarily segregate themsemselves.

We know that just because something might be lawful doesn't ultimately make it right or proper. The future success or failure of these PRMs, if adopted, depends on everyone's use of common sense.

(rant mode off)

W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2006, 06:49:28 PM »

I can see it now. In another 30 years Pete will be saying "I've been running the same pair of 572B's on digital voice for the last 29 years".
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2006, 08:08:28 PM »

Pete, you're technically correct. Nevertheless, in my view unless a 75 M operator just crawled out from under a cabbage leaf, they'd know that 3880 +/- is commonly considered an AM window, just as DXers congregate around certain parts of the band, hi-fi SSBers and local/regional nets congregate around other frequencies, none of which are "official", either. While I could lawfully do so, I don't and won't operate AM in the commonly-accepted "DX Window" from 3750 to 3800 as a matter of common sense and courtesy, and we AM ops should expect the same consideration from others.

Well, I don't know about the rest of the country, but here in the Northeast, especially on weekends, you're find AM QSO's around 3810, 3825, 3837, or almost anywhere between 3800 and 3900. I won't touch your comment about AM in the DX window; might lightly embarrass a member who was having fun working DX there. With sunspot cycle hitting the low side, there's probably more 10, 15, 20 meter operators now hanging out on 75. They may or may not be familiar with the local rules of the road or just may not care.

Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2006, 08:10:08 PM »

I can see it now. In another 30 years Pete will be saying "I've been running the same pair of 572B's on digital voice for the last 29 years".

I can only hope and pray that I will be saying anything in another 30 years.

Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2006, 07:53:41 AM »

Buddly - I SECOND that!
                                 Joe Cro N3IBX

Joe Cro N3IBX

Anything that is Breadboarded,Black Crackle, or that squeals when you tune it gives me MAJOR WOOD!
W1IA

« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2006, 11:11:23 AM »

Buddly - I SECOND that!
                                 Joe Cro N3IBX

I could see it now Joe....we all become pirate stations!!
The ARRL and other morons surrounding this debate have no clue.....think of the other issue, how much old restored AM gear will become useless (except as musuem pieces)?

Monetary impact is substantial to the average A.M'er 

Just think...as pirates we wouldn't have to stick to any band plan! Shocked

Brent

Run What Ya Brung!
Ed KB1HVS

« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2006, 11:17:35 AM »

Buddly - I SECOND that!
                                 Joe Cro N3IBX

The ARRL and other morons surrounding this debate have no clue.....think of the other issue, how much old restored AM gear will become useless (except as musuem pieces)?

Brent

Could that be a bad thing matey? Arrrrghhh

KB1HVS. Your Hi Value Station
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2006, 11:18:19 AM »

Brent said:
Just think...as pirates we wouldn't have to stick to any band plan!

Arrrgggghhh matey! And any sloppbucketeer we find will make em 'walk the plank!'

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2006, 11:33:00 AM »

Imagine deliberate QRM from packet robots. Lots of it. You will have to buy an MFJ box to join them or find another place to play. This crap is all about some people selling new boxes. The anti AM folks are just crawling out from under their rocks to pile some more dung on the heap. 
Glenn NY4NC
« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2006, 02:50:59 PM »

Exactly my point!..... just a bunch of guys having somefun. Lets not get our panties in a knot over non-issues. There are more important things to be concerned with... intentional jamming, on air race wars... RM-11306

If you want to be a "professional radio operator" get a job as a dispatcher with your local police dept, or join one of the Bible thumper slopbucket nets.  Wink

Last time I checked, having fun on the air is not prohibited in Part 97.

Have fun. Grin
Jim, W5JO

« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2006, 03:46:19 PM »

Should they outlaw AM and approve RM 11306, I will get a box and move about  all parts of the band.  Should be fun transmitting adjacent to some of the crap I hear on some 75 SSB frequencies.
Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« Reply #45 on: January 14, 2006, 11:51:27 PM »

Buddly - I SECOND that!
                                 Joe Cro N3IBX

Brent

A wise man once said: If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything".

Don't be intimadated by the happy bullcrap that a few slopbucket curmudgeons are commenting on. File your comments!

Joe Cro N3IBX

Anything that is Breadboarded,Black Crackle, or that squeals when you tune it gives me MAJOR WOOD!
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #46 on: January 15, 2006, 08:39:05 AM »

Joe said:
A wise man once said: If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything".

That same wise man said, "If you will stand for that, you will kneel for this!"

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015