The AM Forum
May 06, 2024, 05:58:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Homebrew transmitter  (Read 17984 times)
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« on: January 10, 2006, 08:26:15 PM »

Now that is a homebrew transmitter!

* K4UXK.JPG (406.47 KB, 1600x1200 - viewed 1196 times.)

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
K1MVP
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2006, 08:40:27 PM »

Hey Don,

It probably works better than some "store bought" stuff ya get nowadays.

73, K1MVP
wa2zdy
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2006, 09:46:21 PM »

Maybe I should rethink my comments on qrz.com about my not being mechanically inclined being why I don't homebrew.

W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2006, 09:59:57 PM »

Now that's what I call 'built-into-the-wall' rig. Kind of like Gary INR's rig Grin

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2006, 10:19:19 PM »

I thouht I was the inventor of trash. That is the nicest homebrew transmitter I ever saw.

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
Ed - N3LHB
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2006, 10:54:33 PM »

I believe this is what the 1930's issues of QST refer to as "haywired" rigs, although this one seems more "haywired" than others... Smiley
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2006, 08:45:28 AM »

I LOVE IT !!! Shocked Shocked
Glenn NY4NC
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2006, 09:46:56 AM »

I don't remember ever seeing a transmitter design that used light bulbs  Grin maybe that's the soft start?

Now that is a homebrew transmitter!

Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2006, 10:59:58 AM »

I don't remember ever seeing a transmitter design that used light bulbs  Grin maybe that's the soft start?

That's the hot-switchable dummy load, Glenn.  Wink

Certainly not a shack I'd want to be staggering around in after having a few too many, but talk about functional wall art!

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2006, 11:48:59 AM »

Don,
      I LOVE it! Think of the attributes: easy to service, everything is clearly visible, good air cooling, easy to experiment and change parts, no need to look for a cabinet fo it, etc etc.

Artistically I think it has more free form self expressionism that a Jackson Pollock painting. Definitely kewlbeanerz.   
                  Joe N3IBX

Joe Cro N3IBX

Anything that is Breadboarded,Black Crackle, or that squeals when you tune it gives me MAJOR WOOD!
Jim, W5JO

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2006, 11:53:20 AM »

It that N4VMY's transmitter?
WA1GFZ

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2006, 11:59:39 AM »

I once had a boss who had a sign on his wall that said "A clean desk is a sign of a sick mind...."
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2006, 12:06:25 PM »

Vely vely nice!  Gives new meaning to breadboard broadcash style construction...  Shocked

I once had a rat's nest like that in early 1973.  I musta been outa my mind... It was a 3CX-2500F3 linear amp all spread out on the floor with 7KV. Experiment.  One day Chuck/K1KW stopped by for a visit. We were making a contact on it and suddenly Yaz I came running down into the cellar and knocked the 5' steel mike boom floor stand into the HV area. I grabbed the mic cord and stopped it JUST as the boom was about to hit. We turned everything off and I soon realized that I was holding a cable that almost hit the 7KV rat's nest.

That was the last time I ever built an open rig like that... :-)

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
WA3VJB
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2006, 01:40:20 PM »

Steve QIX has always said his construction projects are slapped together like this. I've never seen photographic proof, but I have seen similar techniques at the home of W2APE, featuring an in-wall WIRE TUNER using copper strap to suspend the suitable number of fixed micas in a vertical configuration from ceiling to floor (or, is it floor to ceiling depending on flow of voltage and electrons). Maybe he will contribute such an image, and these guys can talk about the greatest clipleads they've ever used ("Mueller !!"  "No, Archer !!" they cried)

--------

Actually, you really need to look at the full size picture to note the construction details. Drawing your attention to the following:
1. Tested (and toasted) coil form to the left of the window
2. Replacement meter is electrical-taped into box for safety
3. Variety of "soft white" and clear light bulbs as optical differential test.
4. "Lean-to" style of air-variable installation conserves scarce shelf space
5. All metering shows parameters well within safety margin (nothing pegged)

http://amfone.net/Amforum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=6685.0;id=653;image
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2006, 03:48:31 PM »

I'd be terrified to reach for that big black knob or anything on the bench let alone let anyone near the thing.

One time I was working on a hollowstate slopbucket rig and had the top off it exposing the finals.  My nephew at the time was about 7 or 8 years old and was always curious about my shack and the radios. So one day when I was in the shack horsing around with the SSB rig he came into the shack to watch. He asked me a question about the rig and reached into the chassis while it was on.  Fortunately, he didn't touch anything hot HV wise but he got a piece of my mind.  I just would have hated to explain to my brother and sister in-law why he was laying on the floor with his lights out.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
KR4WI
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2006, 05:21:46 PM »

I heard this tx the other nite. Big Signal into SE Ky, Thanks for posting picture of it Don, I looked for it on www, Thought it may be on. because of the way he explained it. The heck with cabinets. Matthew KR4WI
Glenn NY4NC
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2006, 06:27:34 PM »

Yep, grab a hold of those 833 anode leads.............. OUCH!!!!!  Huh Huh

I'd be terrified to reach for that big black knob or anything on the bench let alone let anyone near the thing.
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2006, 06:55:57 PM »

Steve QIX has always said his construction projects are slapped together like this. I've never seen photographic proof, but I have seen similar techniques at the home of W2APE, featuring an in-wall WIRE TUNER using copper strap to suspend the suitable number of fixed micas in a vertical configuration from ceiling to floor (or, is it floor to ceiling depending on flow of voltage and electrons). Maybe he will contribute such an image, and these guys can talk about the greatest clipleads they've ever used ("Mueller !!"  "No, Archer !!" they cried)

It was only an expelliment. Honest.

* JS Ant. Tuner for 160.jpg (125.51 KB, 768x1024 - viewed 1347 times.)
Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2006, 07:12:30 PM »

It was only an expelliment. Honest.

Dave - most definitely kewlbeanerz. I got wood just looking at it!

Joe Cro N3IBX

Anything that is Breadboarded,Black Crackle, or that squeals when you tune it gives me MAJOR WOOD!
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2006, 07:22:31 PM »

Dave - most definitely kewlbeanerz. I got wood just looking at it!

I got wood too. Used it for the next tuner....

* tuner1003.JPG (97.46 KB, 445x479 - viewed 640 times.)
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2006, 07:43:30 PM »

Is that one of those hanging mobiles for babys... the kind used by ham fathers looking to get junior interested at an early age?

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2006, 07:58:57 PM »

Not a bad idea but my kids are too old. Makes a good cat repellent though.
KL7OF

« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2006, 08:48:33 PM »

Who built this TX.Huh.  If  it is on the air..I wanna work this station!!   KL7OF Steve
Glenn NY4NC
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2006, 10:19:20 PM »

Yes Tom, that's what you call a "busy box"  Grin Grin

Looks like an electronic still  Grin

Is that one of those hanging mobiles for babys... the kind used by ham fathers looking to get junior interested at an early age?

k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2006, 11:41:41 PM »

I think he said the light bulbs are used as cathode bias resistors on the 833A's.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015