The AM Forum
May 03, 2024, 10:01:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: AM Modulation Monitor Designed for US!  (Read 26859 times)
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« on: January 04, 2006, 02:35:11 PM »

A Modulation Monitor designed for the AM Community!

This is a peak reading instrument, showing your true modulation percentage
at all times.

The monitor features separate high resolution (100 LEDs total)
positive and negative peak meters, and both meters include a peak-hold function.

An adjustable negative peak flasher is also included.

Unlike most commercial modulation monitors, the AMM-HF1 will accurately display modulation
levels up to 150% positive, a modulation level achieved by many good-quality amateur transmitters.

Click on picture or here to view larger image

For more information, including a complete list of features, check the Radio Engineering Associates' Web Site

Regards,

Steve

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
Blaine N1GTU
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2006, 02:38:24 PM »

can i place an order?
must have for my shack, and i have the perfect spot in the rack waiting for it.
very cool product.

ps: I made your post a sticky so it stays at the top
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2006, 02:53:42 PM »

Looks like a well thought and useful unit, Steve.

I'd be interested in one too.  When is delivery and how much?

It will be a nice companion next to the scope for total monitoring capability.

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2006, 04:02:27 PM »

Looks like a well thought and useful unit, Steve.

I'd be interested in one too.  When is delivery and how much?

It will be a nice companion next to the scope for total monitoring capability.

T

Hi Tom!

Pricing and delivery info are on the Radio Engineering Associates web site :-)

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
W1UX
Contributing

When ya see a fork in the road, TAKE IT!

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2006, 04:59:19 PM »

fantastic Steve. A really useful display! Look forward to its distribution to us peasants out in the field Smiley
73 and nice to hear about it on the air the other day, too.
Al UX

Al "Al" (Al)  W1UX..... over, OVER!!! anyone OUT THERE? hi hi ha ha hee hee ho ho haw haw DAMMIT! Where'd that FLY come from?!?!?
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2006, 05:01:44 PM »

Looks cool! But with all due respect, a $5 scope will give you much more useful information, and it isn't limited to a measly 150% modulation.
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2006, 05:11:25 PM »

Looks cool! But with all due respect, a $5 scope will give you much more useful information, and it isn't limited to a measly 150% modulation.
Hey Steve,

Well, I don't know about that :-).  Unless you have a very modern (and expensive) 'scope, you won't have peak hold; you won't have a quantitative measure of your modulation.  You can't measure carrier shift and there's no audio output.  You can definitely *estimate*, and sometimes I find looking at the waveshape useful.

But, like most things, it's subjective Wink  Makes the world go 'round.

Talk later and Regards,

Steve

Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2006, 05:25:33 PM »

All true to an extent. I can see EVERY peak on the scope. No need for peak hold. I can measure percentage rather closely, not that it's a big deal to me. I just want to be as close to 100% without going over on the negative peaks - all easily seen on the scope. I will not only have a quantitative measure, but a qualitative one too - I can see any hum, some distortions, oscillations, or other non-voice modulation of the carrier. In fact, over time, I've learned what my voice modulation waveform should look like when everything is working FB. If something changes, it becomes evident almost immediately.

All that said, some people do not prefer to watch a scope when they are on the air. I can understand that, although I feel like I'm flying blind without one. For those people, the mod monitor is a good tool. The audio monitor is a nice feature too.
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2006, 05:42:37 PM »

All true to an extent. I can see EVERY peak on the scope. No need for peak hold. I can measure percentage rather closely, not that it's a big deal to me. I just want to be as close to 100% without going over on the negative peaks - all easily seen on the scope. I will not only have a quantitative measure, but a qualitative one too - I can see any hum, some distortions, oscillations, or other non-voice modulation of the carrier. In fact, over time, I've learned what my voice modulation waveform should look like when everything is working FB. If something changes, it becomes evident almost immediately.

All that said, some people do not prefer to watch a scope when they are on the air. I can understand that, although I feel like I'm flying blind without one. For those people, the mod monitor is a good tool. The audio monitor is a nice feature too.

Hi Steve,

Your eyes must be faster than mine :-).  If I watch my 'scope, there is NO WAY I can catch all of the peaks.  They go by too fast.  They're gone before I can even see most of them.  Seriously, those peaks ARE too fast (at least for me) to catch.  I find quantitative measurements on a scope to be rather cumbersome.  Have to count divisions, etc... and then the graduations are too big for anything exact... but I *do* have old eyes  Kiss

Hum... well, the 'scope will only show BAD hum.  Trying to see -30 DB or less of hum is REAL hard on a 'scope.  I have had hums I could HEAR (using my modulation monitor  Wink, but could not SEE no matter what I did.  It was just too small.  A meter is really the only way - and you need a pretty sensitive one with expanded scale and/or gain to really catch it.  For hum, I use an old Balentine *tube* VU meter, accurate to -60 DB.  It has an audio output too!

'course, my 'scope uses about 150 watts of power and the mod monitor uses about 6 :-)  Goes along with the efficiency thing  Tongue Roll Eyes Cool  There is probably a 12 step program somewhere for this efficiency addiction Grin

Talk later and Regards!

Steve

Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2006, 08:08:47 PM »

12 steps, eh? Cheesy I figured you would have optimized that to 4 or 5, for efficiency's sake.

I expect my consulting fee for playing foil here, allowing you to expound on all the reasons to get the mod monitor.

Good luck with your new endeavor.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2006, 10:23:43 PM »

Steve QIX,
Here is something to consider. take the audio output from the mod monitor and shoot it into a sound card and run "Spectran". FFT spectrum display. I find that is by far the best monitor. This way you see the peak on the led display then look at the spectrum to see what is making up the modulation. Update rates are fast not like a spectrum analyzer sweep. Then there is sdradio ver .99 or . That has a nice phase meter with the display. I'm amazed on how many VFOs are FMing slightly or drifting.
Rocky and KGKSDR are also good software packages. They also do nice AM demodulation off a low frequency IF.
I was watching Steve HUZ on heavy metal and could tell his modulation was head and shoulders above everyone coming out of his FT102.
It is all in what you want to watch. Good Luck!
I only use a scope to set the negative peak limiter.
Blaine N1GTU
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2006, 03:04:22 AM »

get a load of this....

im going to run a scope AND the modulation monitor.

YEAYYY  TEST TEST YEEEAAAAYYYY 1....2
kc2ifr
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2006, 05:32:05 AM »

Like I said Steve.....nice stuff....Ill leave off the tag line....was trying to funny but looks like I someone out there doesnt have much of a sense of humor. Next time please have the guts to let me know when u pull one of my posts. Again I was just making a little joke..... Tongue
W2INR
Radio Syracuse
Founding

Syracuse Radio W2INR

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2006, 06:49:42 AM »

Bill,

According to the logs I have in front of me there have not been any posts pulled in over a month for any reason.(users pulled or moderator pulled) Are you sure you submitted the post when you were finished? Did you hit the back button after you were done? Did you put the toilet seat cover down when you were finished?

Also I ask if you have any issues with moderation on this BBS please direct your inquiries to Jay N3WWL. Jay handles the moderation of the BBS.

In regards to notification of a pulled post that is up to the moderator that pulls the post. As per the rules and regs we do not need "guts" because we do not notify of the actions taken and shouldn't have too.

G - The INR

Amateur Weather Station KNYSYRAC64
Creator - owner - AMfone.net - 2001 - 2010
Founding Member - NEAR-Fest
SWLR-RNØ54
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2006, 01:38:23 PM »

More than once I have forgot to hit the "post" button after looking at the "preview."  It's extremely easy to do.  Sometimes I can hit the "back" button on the browser and bring the unposted message back up, but if the cache has expired, the message is lost for ever.  Make it a habit to check the forum index immediately to verify that your message made it.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
KA1ZGC
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2006, 02:40:18 PM »

Good stuff, Steve! Congrats on the product rollout, I know you've been putting a considerable effort towards this for quite some time.

WRT the scope vs. monitor debate: like everybody so far has said, it all depends on your goals, which is probably heavily biased by what you're accustomed (sp?) to.

In broadcash radio, I got used to flying with Belar monitors (not nearly as affordable) for both AM and FM. It wasn't until I started with ham AM that I started flying by scope. The scope has since become my preferred method of monitoring AM, but not to the exclusion of the ability to fly by monitor. In fact, if I had both, I would probably use both.

Which leads me to a question: is your monitor designed in such a way that a scope output could be incorporated, possibly switched from the input switch on the monitor? That would be extremely handy for those first few hours of operating a newly-built transmitter or modulator, particularly if you wanted to A/B the readings and the waveform against another unit. Even if you don't leave the scope attached, it would be nice to be able to attach one to a sampling selector such as you have built into your monitor.

Good luck with the real fun part of any new product, marketing & sales!  Shocked

--Thom
Killer Agony One Zipper Got Caught
Glenn NY4NC
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2006, 03:25:46 PM »

Yep... most of us have scopes already, so a mod monitor in addition to a scope would be great.

.....but... if you don't already have a scope, the $300 you might spend on that mod monitor will buy you a very nice used Tektronix scope that would be very useful for many other tasks in addition to mod monitoring.

Get a scope first...... That being said, It would be very cool to have that mod monitor mounted directly above my rack mounted scope in the shack!.  Cheesy as Blaine mentioned, ...."both"

get a load of this....

im going to run a scope AND the modulation monitor.

YEAYYY  TEST TEST YEEEAAAAYYYY 1....2
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2006, 04:49:11 PM »

Good stuff, Steve! Congrats on the product rollout, I know you've been putting a considerable effort towards this for quite some time.

(snip) is your monitor designed in such a way that a scope output could be incorporated, possibly switched from the input switch on the monitor? That would be extremely handy for those first few hours of operating a newly-built transmitter or modulator, particularly if you wanted to A/B the readings and the waveform against another unit. Even if you don't leave the scope attached, it would be nice to be able to attach one to a sampling selector such as you have built into your monitor.

Good luck with the real fun part of any new product, marketing & sales!  Shocked

--Thom
Killer Agony One Zipper Got Caught

Hi Thom,

If you connected a scope, you would get audio only.  One of the major design goals was to keep the RF *away* from the monitor, which is usually mounted in a rack with other audio equipment - the last place I want to see RF Cool  So, the pickup/detector units put out modulated DC and not RF.

Talk later and Regards,

Steve

kc2ifr
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2006, 06:15:25 PM »

OOPS......looks like my post that I THOUGHT was deleted never was posted.....operator error. Embarrassed
What I had said in my post was as follows...." Nice stuff Steve but where is the SSB position?" Grin
Sorry guys..... Cry
Mike/W8BAC
Contributing

« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2006, 06:40:57 PM »

Steve Said,

"One of the major design goals was to keep the RF *away* from the monitor"

The Collins design people saw it the same way. A separate level tunable DC circuit was installed on the RF tuning deck for this purpose on the 20V series transmitters. I suspect most broadcast transmitters of the day and since are made with similar circuits.

Mike
Glenn NY4NC
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2006, 09:49:12 PM »

Nice work Steve,

Is that a plastic overlay type front panel? It would be nice to see an actual photo vs the drawing.

I will no doubt buy one once the shack is up and running down here (and I have a job  Huh)

steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2006, 12:18:48 AM »

Nice work Steve,

Is that a plastic overlay type front panel? It would be nice to see an actual photo vs the drawing.

I will no doubt buy one once the shack is up and running down here (and I have a job  Huh)

That's the overlay...  I'll be putting up actual pictures real soon!  Probably of the inside, too.  There are a LOT of components on that PC board!

Regards,

Steve

K6JEK
Contributing

RF in the shack

« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2006, 12:27:23 AM »

I'm in.  I recently scored a big beautiful Belar AMM-3A but I really want to try one of these.  I sent a note to orders at the website.

I have a scope in line but I find the peak flashers on the Belar are what I check the most.

Jon

PS:  I was surprised and pleased to hear Steve QIX check in to the 75 meter Collins AM Net, West Coast Division (!) last night.  Steve had a big, strong, beautiful signal out here in the SF area.
W1UJR
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2006, 08:13:01 PM »

Looks great, but when does the Nixie tube option with the Magic eye tube come out?
I'd be all over that!

W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2006, 11:51:06 PM »

OOPS......looks like my post that I THOUGHT was deleted never was posted.....operator error. Embarrassed
What I had said in my post was as follows...." Nice stuff Steve but where is the SSB position?" Grin
Sorry guys..... Cry

That is really not a joke. If you can make the monitor do anything useful on ssb the sales will go through the roof. Look at all the IHY boxes and Heil mics. MFJ just came out with a compressor/EQ unit.......
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015