The AM Forum
April 29, 2024, 03:05:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: snow  (Read 2307 times)
WA1GFZ

« on: January 03, 2006, 04:11:59 PM »

Got lucky with this storm. Everyone around us has 10 inches of snow and we have about 3/4 of an inch. Just called home and don't have to blow or shovel since the kids did everything this morning.  Grin
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2006, 04:27:11 PM »

Frank, you beat me to it on this subject by just afew minutes.  We picked up about 5 or so inches of heavy wet snow during the early morning hours then it rained and snowed making it even heavier.  Just finished clearing a section of the driveway with a shovel to make it passable for my wife.  The damn snow blower is useless in this crap.  Now the temp has dropped below freezing and the snow plow just went by and buried the end of the driveway. God forbid that there's 6 inches between the curb and roadway.  I love it, they do this to me everytime by just minutes.  My left arm is 6 inches longer than my right from lifting this slop.   I'm piss beat tired from the first round to clear it and I'm afraid it's going to freeze.  Guess I better go out there and work on a heart attack or slipped disk. 

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
John Holotko

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2006, 05:25:18 PM »

Frank, you beat me to it on this subject by just afew minutes.  We picked up about 5 or so inches of heavy wet snow during the early morning hours then it rained and snowed making it even heavier.  Just finished clearing a section of the driveway with a shovel to make it passable for my wife.  The damn snow blower is useless in this crap.  Now the temp has dropped below freezing and the snow plow just went by and buried the end of the driveway. God forbid that there's 6 inches between the curb and roadway.  I love it, they do this to me everytime by just minutes.  My left arm is 6 inches longer than my right from lifting this slop.   I'm piss beat tired from the first round to clear it and I'm afraid it's going to freeze.  Guess I better go out there and work on a heart attack or slipped disk. 

You're describing the exact type of snow we get almost all the time here in southeast new york. Unlike the nice easy to clean powdery snow that comes in cold weather most of our storms are with temps around 32-36 degrees. As a result we get a heavy wet  packed snow laden with water and ice pellets.  Evey minute or two you got to shut the snow thrower down to unblock the chute that keeps getting clogged with the garbage. The only other way is to lift 100lb shovelfulls of the garbage one after the other and carry it to the spot whyere you're dumping it. It's a pain in the ass. And slippery as all hell. Why can't we get nice soft powdery snows that are light and easy to clean ?? No such luck around here.

N2IZE<br /><br />Because infinity comes in different sizes.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2006, 01:31:04 PM »

Got lucky with this storm. Everyone around us has 10 inches of snow and we have about 3/4 of an inch. Just called home and don't have to blow or shovel since the kids did everything this morning.  Grin

I would call that unlucky.  I love it when we get a few inches of snow and the ratsrace comes to  screeching halt for a day or two.  Despite all the fretting and pissing and moaning (oh, I can't get to work; what am I gonna do?), it will still be there when the snow melts.  Here, we don't get enough snow to make it worthwhile for the county to invest in a lot of snow removal equipment, so it only takes 3-4 inches to shut everything down, comparable to a major declared "snow emergency" in Boston.

I remember seeing snow accumulation right up to the eaves of houses in Quebec city during January.

The way it has been going the past few weeks, I am wondering, with the advent of global warming, if we won't be seeing a lot less snow and hearing a whole lot more QRN in winters to come.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015