The AM Forum
April 29, 2024, 07:08:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: First "return to AM" contact.  (Read 3387 times)
w1guh
« on: January 03, 2006, 03:42:15 PM »

What I posted about forcing the use of ssb reminded me of something.  When I finally found an Apache in put it on the air (early '90) I was amazed at how well it was getting out.  After I'd gotten the bugs out and checked it out and was ready for its on the air check, I heard Derb calling CQ.  I gave him a shout and was surprised that he heard me.  What's more I was strong down where he was.   

But back in 1960, I was over at a (rich) ham's place where the guy used an Apache and an SX-96.  He tried to go on the air, but 75 was completely covered with strong carriers.  Even with an Apache he didn't even bother trying a CQ.  That was my memory of 75 meter AM during the evening, and what I was expecting in '90.

I keep wondering what the difference was.  The best I can come up with is the bands are less crowded, and possibly the fact that there's a window for AM helps.

Dunno   Huh
WA1GFZ

« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2006, 04:06:11 PM »

back in '60 1 kw am was the standard and the kids and lids stayed out of the way.
SSB what the F123 is ssb.
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2006, 07:37:48 AM »

"SSB what the F123 is ssb."

I think it means; some stupid bast*&^.
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2006, 10:52:53 AM »

That's a good question....  is it easier to make contacts on 75M AM using low power NOW than back in the 60's?

Well, I do remember running an HT-32 in 1967 for about six months running "17" watts of carrier and working lots of guys on 75M in the day. But I think nighttime was a different story simply because of so many areas coming in at once. ie, during the day, there is a quiet band.  But at night there may be layers of QSO's from many districts, so you need a bigger signal to hold your own locally.  Just like the AM BC band.

I don't remember the spacing that we used to use. Was it closer, like 4kc because of the popular 1960's 300-3kc AM "talkpower" fad?  That sure would make it more difficult. But, today, you will see AM stations usually spread out 6kc or more apart, so that makes it easier with lower power.  Also, I notice a great respect for AM QSO's that are within 600 miles ot so. ie, if a QSO is going happening on 3880 in W8-land at night, the W1's will usually not start up on frequency, rather go up to 3885, or wherever.

I still like to space things out 8kc minimum during the day, but find 5kc spacing can be tolerated during the winter nights, simply cuz the band is long and locals are weaker by as much as -20db+.

There probably ARE less stations on the air now than the 60's too.  There's no new generation coming up that used to fill the airwaves [like we used to be] and the internet has robbed some. And the dying off of the buzzards. For the first time in decades, you can now tune around the 75M phone portion and find huge gaps with no QSOs going. Even 15 years ago, you could sometimes hear several ssb groups going at once in different districts, toleraing each other. I rarely hear that anymore at night.

I suppose in a way we should be thankful for the extra room. If it were the opposite, we would be complaining about that too... Grin

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2006, 12:50:41 PM »

What I posted about forcing the use of ssb reminded me of something.  When I finally found an Apache in put it on the air (early '90) I was amazed at how well it was getting out.  After I'd gotten the bugs out and checked it out and was ready for its on the air check, I heard Derb calling CQ.  I gave him a shout and was surprised that he heard me.  What's more I was strong down where he was.   

But back in 1960, I was over at a (rich) ham's place where the guy used an Apache and an SX-96.  He tried to go on the air, but 75 was completely covered with strong carriers.  Even with an Apache he didn't even bother trying a CQ.  That was my memory of 75 meter AM during the evening, and what I was expecting in '90.

I keep wondering what the difference was.  The best I can come up with is the bands are less crowded, and possibly the fact that there's a window for AM helps.

Dunno   Huh

1960 - still the peak of Cycle 19, one of the highest ever recorded - AM was still king on the ham bands - mainly two major modes(AM/CW) - 160M had power and frequency restrictions

1990 - somewhere near the peak of cycle 22(not a great one) - SSB was king on HF -  major modes SSB/CW/FM(vhf) - 160 had frequency and power restrictions lifted (I believe) - lots of hams getting on the packet bandwagon - AM and vintage equipment starting to make a comeback (relive the youth)

2006 - near the bottom of cycle 23 - many more modes now at our fingertips - lots of 75M SSB ops develop "channelized" syndrome - hams spending more time on internet bitching about all the things that are bad with ham radio rather than getting on the radio - hams seem to be less inclined to get on the air to talk to anybody(i.e. call CQ) - old hams dying off and others moving on to new interests - some continue to believe it's all the ARRL's fault

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2006, 01:21:53 PM »

Personally, I cannot talk about my first "return to AM" contact, because I never left AM in the first place.

In the late 50's and early 60's before the dominance of SSB, the phone bands were filled with the  massive scream of heterodynes, from one end to the other.  The heterodyne argument was one of the most attractive selling points of SSB.  I recall winter weekday evenings on 75, starting about 4 PM, the QRM became intolerable unless you were running high power to a good antenna.

Today, the band is almost deserted weekdays until about 4 PM when you just begin to hear other stations coming on the air.

Besides the opening up of 160, much of the  local nighttime activity now takes place on vhf/uhf CB, and the phone band on 75 has been expanded an additional 50 kc/s, even though that is still not nearly enough.

But I think the main reason for the lessening of QRM is that there simply aren't as many people active on the air.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015