The AM Forum
April 29, 2024, 05:17:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The one that got away  (Read 13666 times)
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2006, 02:58:34 AM »

Hi Gary;

Do they still run that flea Market?... I just moved to Winston Salem...

Not a piece of ham gear, but definitely vintage radio. About five or six years ago at the CC-AWA Spring Meet in the Carolinas held in Charlotte, NC

Go here for info on the Spring Meet:
http://cc_awa.homestead.com/Charlotte.html

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2006, 01:06:16 PM »

The SX-25 I restored around 97. I had just gotten into BAs and it was my first real restoration. Bought it unseen from a lady about 50 miles from my house who was cleaning out her fathers’ radio shop stuff. It had been stored in a cellar with a leaky sooty oil furnace. Net result was the rig looked awful when I got it, but cleaned up very nicely. Recapped and restored it sounded great.

Sold it to someone out west about 3 years ago………. Would love to have that radio back

Carl

"Okay, gang are you ready to play radio? Are you ready to shuffle off the mortal coil of mediocrity? I am if you are." Shepherd
w1guh
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2006, 04:22:42 PM »

Can't think of any commercial ham radios that I wish I had back.   But there is one I'd dearly love - the Air Champ (Boy scout) two tube radio kit.  Either that or the Air Champ fixed crystal detector radio.  They must be very rare.  I've searched and searched the 'net for any mention of the Air Champ company with nil results.  Anyone here ever heard of them?

The were kits wired entirely with fahnestock clips.  All the soldering was done at the factory so there were wires coming off tube pins, coils, etc.

What I do wish I had back is the signals that short wave radios used to receive.
W3NP
Contributing

« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2006, 05:47:00 PM »

I suppose the one that I regret getting rid of the most was the Collins KW-1 serial #150 - the last one they made. At least I wished I had gotten rid of a bit later when the price went through the roof. I sold it in 1987 for $1800 and bought it in 1981 for $900.

Also had a SX-115 that I bought at Berryville for $80....IMHO that receiver sucked for AM...it was cool looking but too narrow and crappy audio. I think I let that one go for $150 - and that was after a complete restoration.

Then there was the Johnson Desk KW with desk that I bought for $200 at the Baltimore hamfest (Timonium now). I didn't care much for that rig either - noisy and always crapping out. That one went for $600.

My only regret is that I am not selling them all NOW!!   Cry

---Dave  W3NP
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2006, 07:40:56 PM »

Got anything for sale, Dave  Grin

Ahh you sound better without that KW-1 anyway.  Cool xmitter to be sure, but most that I've heard on the air haven't impressed me too much.  There are a few exceptions - W0YVA's, and someone else I talked to not too long ago had a nice sounding one.... can't remember the call.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2006, 09:02:34 PM »

Got anything for sale, Dave  Grin

Ahh you sound better without that KW-1 anyway.  Cool xmitter to be sure, but most that I've heard on the air haven't impressed me too much.  There are a few exceptions - W0YVA's, and someone else I talked to not too long ago had a nice sounding one.... can't remember the call.

John,
      I think you'd also like the Collins "TDO". The TDO/16F is basically a 30K-1/KW1 that uses a pair of 813's modulated by 805's with the Collins "autotoon" setup. Think of having a KW1 that you dial in your memory channel and have all stages and the frequency tuned within 24 seconds!

Best Regards,
                 Joe Cro N3IBX

Joe Cro N3IBX

Anything that is Breadboarded,Black Crackle, or that squeals when you tune it gives me MAJOR WOOD!
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2006, 10:00:58 PM »

does a list of hot girls count?

Only if they are still hot.
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2006, 07:16:15 AM »

John,
      I think you'd also like the Collins "TDO". The TDO/16F is basically a 30K-1/KW1 that uses a pair of 813's modulated by 805's with the Collins "autotoon" setup. Think of having a KW1 that you dial in your memory channel and have all stages and the frequency tuned within 24 seconds!

Best Regards,
                 Joe Cro N3IBX

I know, Joe, those 30Ks are awfully cool.  I like the little telephone dial autotooner.

The Pavek Museum in Mpls has one, I've been bugging them to get that bad boy on the air.  If I lived out there still you know I'd be restoring that.

BTW when's good for you to get together to go thru that FRR-59?  Now that the holidays are over I got some free wkends.

73 John

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015