The AM Forum
May 02, 2024, 04:29:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New computer for SDR question  (Read 2727 times)
WA1GFZ

« on: December 23, 2005, 08:17:22 PM »

I just found a nice dual 1 gHz machine cheap with 512 meg of ram. It will be my shack machine for controlling my TCI 8174 and playing with SDR interfaces.
It is a Dell machine with only 1 CPU installed. I wonder if you can still buy 1 GHz P3 modules for the Dell. I see the blank socket has a board with a bunch of resistors installed on it. I suspect bus terminations.  My old machine at work was a dual 1 gHz and my new dual 2.8 is no faster. Anybody out there ever do this modification?
Running XP PRO. I'm told it will put the second chip to work. fc
Mike/W8BAC
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2005, 11:14:10 AM »

Hi Frank,

Congratulations on getting your hands on such new technology and at a good price. I have questions of my own regarding the dual processor machines.

All of the consumer dual processor machines I have seen seem to be running really slow CPU's like your 1 GHz processor. Why is this when 2 or 3 GHz processors are available rather cheep. To me more is better. Maybe it doesn't work that way.

The other concern is I think only certain programs can take advantage of the extra power the dual processors provide. I guess I'll have to do some more reading on this.

Good luck and I'll be watching this thread. I am using an SDR 1000 and I have seen others on the Flex reflector that use duals. Your SDR projects are probably different as you don't care for the 1K. You might try the flex reflector. www.flex-radio.com . 73

Mike
W8BAC
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2005, 12:10:31 PM »

There are two basic requirements to reap the benefits of a multiprocessor system: a multiprocessor capable operating system, and applications written for multiprocessing. Windows Xp Pro is multiprocessor capable. You'll have to RTFM to determine the status of your applications.
Mike/W8BAC
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2005, 12:15:21 PM »

Read the ....... manual? HI
WA1GFZ

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2005, 07:42:09 PM »

After paying $1700 for a new 486 66 MHz I refuse to buy a new machine.
We have a cool used machine store close by. The people are cool and know their stuff. They told me XP pro and 2K pro will make a second processor play.
Today I made room and installed it into the shack with a IEEE488 interface and a couple versions of SDR software and control for my TCI 8174. The SDR software was running at 15% cpu horsepower so even with a single brain it will be fine.
512 meg of ram must help.
I also bought my son a 1 GHz HP machine but his processor module is different.
I will be looking for a Dell module to give it a try. My old work machine did a good job and my new one is no faster.
This will be a fine tool to support my RX disease. I still think my hot rod racal is at the top of the heap.
Steve HUZ I found some cool stuff you sent me years ago on SDR stuffed in a corner.
I've read it a number of times. I put it in my SDR file folder. Now I can actually play with the stuff. SDR 1000 I try to keep a very open mind because it will be the future but I think the lo needs to be cleaner to claim the dynamic range. I had 3 different configurations going listening to you guys on 3825 today.
Mike, I am very impressed with the Flex guys. I am only critical of them to improve their product and wish them all the luck. I would love to see a system that can add or replace modules as easily as reloading software.
Then there are the FPGA guys worth watching.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015