The AM Forum
May 02, 2024, 05:52:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How the transistor was named  (Read 5913 times)
W1QWT

« on: December 23, 2005, 07:51:16 PM »

This came across my desk today and I thought some might be interested in it.
It is an internal Bell Telephone memo asking for votes on a name to call the new
semiconductor triode.
I tried to post the jpeg here but it was too small to read but you can see it easily at:
http://home.comcast.net/~w1qwt/trans.html

Regards and Merry Christmas
Q

Regards, Q, W1QWT
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2005, 10:16:54 PM »

Is it to late for us to vote Huh Huh Huh I understand when it comes to new drugs, there is a department that sits around and dreams up the stupid names for brands we see on TV.i

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
VE7 Kilohertz

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2005, 12:42:43 AM »

Very cool article with great historical signifiicance.
Thanks

Paul

Women. Ya can't live with them......pass the beer nuts!
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2005, 06:09:09 AM »

Here's some transistor info I learned sometime ago that I thought was interesting.  The japanese transistor "2S" series numbering convention always had me wondering why there were A's, B's, C's, D's etc.   The A's and the B's are PNP transistors and the C's and D's are NPN.  The A's and C's were considered upper frequency components  and the B's and D's lower frequency components.  Where they made the transition between upper and lower frequency, I'm not sure.  Maybe someone knows that.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2005, 02:04:24 PM »

This came across my desk today and I thought some might be interested in it.
It is an internal Bell Telephone memo asking for votes on a name to call the new
semiconductor triode.
I tried to post the jpeg here but it was too small to read but you can see it easily at:
http://home.comcast.net/~w1qwt/trans.html

Regards and Merry Christmas
Q

Yep, saw many of these types of forms when I worked at Bell Labs/AT&T/Lucent. I was involved with some of the "naming" of some low speed data sets, Dataphone, Datakit, Merlin, Information Systems Network, and several others.

quote author=W1RKW
Here's some transistor info I learned sometime ago that I thought was interesting.  The japanese transistor "2S" series numbering convention always had me wondering why there were A's, B's, C's, D's etc.   The A's and the B's are PNP transistors and the C's and D's are NPN.  The A's and C's were considered upper frequency components  and the B's and D's lower frequency components.  Where they made the transition between upper and lower frequency, I'm not sure.  Maybe someone knows that.

2SB's and D's were used mostly at audio frequencies. Open up any late 60's, 70's, or 80's audio equipment and you'll find lots of them in the preamp, audio drivers, and audio amplifier. 2SA's and C's were used a lot for switching and also in RF and oscillator circuits. 2SK or 3SK were FETs.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
W1UJR
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2005, 01:29:48 AM »

Excellent post Q!

A follow up article about a most brilliant man, the one most responsible for the invention of the transistor, William Shockley.

http://www.time.com/time/time100/scientist/profile/shockley.html
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2005, 10:01:54 AM »

No one metioned, "Three Legged Fuse"..?
WA3VJB
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2005, 10:29:01 AM »

I O T A T R O N

Now that would have been a cool name.

Enjoyed the discussion of merits and problems of various names.

Did anyone else catch the fact Bell Labs actually had the weight to even consider pioneering a "name" for the class of devices their people had invented?  How often would we see such dominance today, unless it's another wet dream from Billy Gates that he names and rolls out the door.

WA1GFZ

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2005, 12:18:12 PM »

Yesterday my kids and I watched Apollo 13 a film that really makes me remember how we used to be.  It also makes me wonder if we can recover.............hope so
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2005, 02:18:51 PM »

[
Did anyone else catch the fact Bell Labs actually had the weight to even consider pioneering a "name" for the class of devices their people had invented?  How often would we see such dominance today, unless it's another wet dream from Billy Gates that he names and rolls out the door.

We had the "power" of  very large in- house "Standards" and legal groups to make this work very well. Large corporations still have the power to "coin" names for items they invent.

We even had large antennas. This site was used for Field Day, 1970/71. We set up under the opening of the horn after it was turned facing the ground.

* crawford hill antenna.jpg (18.49 KB, 300x235 - viewed 387 times.)

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015