The AM Forum
May 08, 2024, 05:29:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Send this link to any Audiophools you know - a nice Christmas present  (Read 4243 times)
Ralph
« on: December 20, 2005, 01:21:32 AM »

A good article on speaker wire and the debunking of common myths.

http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2005, 04:40:58 AM »

Good ole Roger Russell.  Roger used to be head engineer for McIntosh Labs.  I had the pleasure of meeting him on several occasions over the years. 

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2005, 11:49:27 AM »

That's a good one.  I bookmarked the website and also copied the page to my HD.  My response to the article:  "Well, duh!"

I like the part about how the speaker coil is made of ordinary copper, and the $1300/ft speaker cable.

At least that is a better moneymaking racket than e-mail spamming.

The "difference" in sound of speaker cable is all about wire resistance and the nonuniform impedance of speakers.  If a speaker takes a dip in impedance at a certain frequency, high resistance cable is going to affect the frequency response and sound.  Heavier cable, whether Romex or monster cable, will solve the problem.  At 4 to 16 ohms, the capacitance in room-length cables will have negligible effect.

The article explains the audiophool claim that the cable must be "burnt in" before the sound difference becomes apparent.  It's the audiophool's brain that has to be burnt in.  Like the FAQ I hear over the air, "Does this rig sound any different from the one I was on last week when we had our QSO?"

A phool and his money...

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2005, 12:04:52 PM »

It's the audiophool's brain that has to be burnt in.

Grin  That's the quote of the day, Don!

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2005, 05:02:45 PM »

Premium speaker cable. I gotta have some!  $8,900 per six foot pair. $1,300 per additional foot.

Speaker cable elevators to reduce noise, increase dynamic range, and more!

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
wa2zdy
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2005, 12:16:38 PM »

It's the audiophool's brain that has to be burnt in. 

Problem is, most of these idiots are burnt out. 

Things like high price speaker wire, selling dipoles for $50 . . .  why couldn't I have thought of these things?  I wouldn't feel badly ripping these phools off.  They don't deserve to ahve that money.
w1guh
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2005, 07:12:33 AM »

Oh, no...cable elevators are the way to go.  Everybody knows that the sound in the wire from the amp to the speakers is aided by gravity, and they'll keep the wire above the speaker, thus giving you better sound.
Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2005, 07:48:40 AM »

The speaker cable elevators, like the speaker cable itself, and the rectumfryers MUST be cyrongenically treated to reduce lower end distortion and increase tessitura!

Joe Cro N3IBX

Anything that is Breadboarded,Black Crackle, or that squeals when you tune it gives me MAJOR WOOD!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015