The AM Forum
April 28, 2024, 03:55:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: UTC CVM-4 Mod XFMR  (Read 3988 times)
W1RKW
Contributing

« on: December 16, 2005, 06:06:29 PM »

Anyone know if the UTC CVM-4 Mod XFMR has good low end or decent frequency response or is it pinched? Kind of curious as to what the specs are on this.  Can't seem to find anything on the net.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
KL7OF

« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2005, 08:52:08 PM »

I have heard that the UTC CVM series of Mod Tx's are made without a gap in the core.   I have a CVM 5 here that looks like someone has put a thin piece of card stock in the gap and used some goop to hold it in place...I haven't used the transformer yet so I can't comment...Perhaps someone with experience with these transformers will comment....I am curious too.. Steve
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2005, 10:07:31 PM »

They do have a gap in the core.  The low end is better than that of most multi-match "universal" modulation transformers.  If you take the DC off the secondary using a reactor, that will improve the  low end.  With the older open frame VM series (not CVM), the reactor eliminates 95% of the talkback.

The UTC equivalent of the Stancor and Thordarson uviversal modulation transformers is the "S" series.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
W3NP
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2005, 11:21:30 AM »

I have a CVM-4 that I have never tried but I also have a CVM-3 which is the replacement iron in my Meissner 150B. I use the same outboard audio with that transmitter that I use for my broadcast rig and while I have never actually swept it for response, it always gets good audio reports and the low end seems to be quite adequate. I would assume that the 3 has the same characteristics as the 4 except for lower power rating.

---Dave  W3NP
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015