The AM Forum
May 08, 2024, 12:13:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Random Thoughts.  (Read 2078 times)
KC4ALF

« on: December 15, 2005, 12:36:00 PM »

It's 12:19 EST, it's snowing heavily here on the mountainso I decided to play "hookie" from work, with the OM's blessing. The stove is packed with coal and there is a pot of Chicken Stew simmering on top.
I just fired up the DX-40 and the 75S-3 and they are sitting on the desk warming up, its just the right day for a little xtal cntrld CW. As long as the ice loading isn't to bad the long wire (185ft) should stay up.
The shack faces north up the mountain and the view is woods but covered in snow it is really very pleasing sight, especially this close to Christmas. I get a good signal out to the northeast and southwest from here and as there are few homes (yet) and considering that the cabin is inside the Nat'l Radio Quite Zone for Radio Telescope in W.Va. it is electrically quite here, except for the thunder storms wich hit the Shenandoah valley in summer.
Ilike the DX-40, its a neat rig, but can't wait to get the DX-100 and BC-348 back on the Air. The recap on the 348 and repairs to the 100 taking much longer that anticipated. Still It never hurts to bone up on CW especially in the old novice bands where there seems to be real interest in Boat Anchor Radio.
2-meters is active as people are going nuts with the weather and there are a fair amount of accidents.
Time for a cup of Joe and to tune around 40 and see who's about.
Stay warm and Merry Christmas to all, (if it's you'r thing) Smiley.
W9GT

Nipper - Manager of K9 Affairs

« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2005, 12:56:57 PM »

"Ilike the DX-40, its a neat rig, but can't wait to get the DX-100 and BC-348 back on the Air. The recap on the 348 and repairs to the 100 taking much longer that anticipated. Still It never hurts to bone up on CW especially in the old novice bands where there seems to be real interest in Boat Anchor Radio."

You are certainly correct about the DX-40!  It is a great little rig.  I have owned three or four of them over the years and I have always been very fond of them.  I'm kinda surprised that we don't hear more of them on AM, even with the relatively low power.  They actually work quite well on AM and I worked my share of DX with one on 10M AM.  The DX-40 was basically an improved DX-35 which had a few problems with power transformers, etc.  I guess the '40 was supposed to have corrected most of those problems, but of course it was later succeeded by the even more famous DX-60. When I got started in ham radio in 1959, the DX-40 was a novice kilowatt.  Able to work 75 watts xtal  control (and later with a VF-1 for frequency agility) and leap tall buildings in a single bound. 

Have fun...enjoy that vintage Heathkit and keep warm next to the glow of a 6146.

73 and Merry Christmas!  Jack, W9GT

Tubes and Black Wrinkle Rule!!
73, Jack, W9GT
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015