The AM Forum
May 04, 2024, 06:15:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: AMI -- status unknown  (Read 4258 times)
WA3VJB
« on: December 14, 2005, 12:48:30 PM »

Dale only partially answered my question.

I wrote back and asked whether he wants to add amfone.net as a more immediate outlet for his writings, and whether he plans to call for national and regional elections soon. As far as I know, the original set of regional directors from 1993 remains in place. He did not answer whether he considers himself still in charge nationally.

--- Radio Station KW1I <kw1i@earthlink.net> wrote:

> From: "Radio Station KW1I" <kw1i@earthlink.net>
> To: "VJB"
> Subject: AMI
> Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 09:14:58 -0500
>
> Paul,
>
> I informed ER readers and made recommendations about
> the ARRL proposal in
> the AMI column in ER #195, August 2005, page 44.
> I'll place more
> information in an update in ER when the FCC takes
> action on the proposals.
>
> Dale
> KW1I
>
>
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: "VJB"
> To: <KW1I@Earthlink.net>
> Cc: <w2inr@amfone.net>
> Sent: Tuesday, December 06, 2005 10:45 AM
> Subject: Wither AMI ?
>
>
> > Hi Dale,
> >
> > I didn't know whether you're still running AMI,
> and
> > after not seeing any articles or updates in
> Electric
> > Radio or elsewhere, I posted a query to amfone.net
> > where I learned your new email address.
> >
> > What's the status of AMI ?
> >
> > You are probably aware that the group in Newington
> has
> > filed as a Petition the bandwidth petition it's
> been
> > threatening to submit for quite a while.
> >
> > You and I have discussed, in the past, whether AMI
> has
> > a political role to play, and the time seems to
> have
> > come for a position and strategy.
> >
> > Gary is offering webspace for AMI for updates on a
> > more rapid timetable than that available in a
> > published, printed medium. I envision not only the
> > national leadership, if that remains yourself, to
> > provide updates alongside individual regions where
> > representatives have also not been heard from
> > recently, except for Andy in the Southeast.
> >
> > Please let me know ?
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Paul
> >
> >
W1UJR
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2005, 10:00:44 PM »

Hi Paul,
While I respect what you are offering and think it’s a great idea to raise the profile of AMI, I suspect that Dale, like most of use, has his hands full and would prefer not to commit to something which he may not find time to fulfill.

With that said, I can’t see that Dale or Ray from Electric Radio would mind if the AMI updates were published on the AM Fone site. In fact, that might serve to answer both goals, to let the AM community know about AMI, and to let those with concerns read what is being done to address such.

When I paid my $2 for AMI membership several years ago, and I believe the fee is still $2, it was expectation that I would get at least $2 worth of fun. I have received that and more from the AMI sponsored events throughout the years. I don’t expect AMI, whom I paid a $2 lifetime fee to join, which has a suite of directors composed entirely of volunteers, to provide the same level of support and advocacy as I do the folks at the League.

I think a area set aside for AMI, and cross-posting of AMI announcements on AM Fone would go a long way toward satisfying most members expectation of AMI.

73 OM,
Bruce W1UJR
WA3VJB
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2005, 09:10:11 AM »

Bruce,
Thanks for the comment.

Dale must be extremely busy, then, because I haven't been able to obtain any kind of response from him on the very idea you've outlined. In fact, he seems to have overlooked, for whatever reason, the concept of expanding beyond Electric Radio to provide additional outlets for AMI activities.

Ray, from conversations I've had with him, is just as puzzled as myself that Dale hasn't been a regular monthly fixture as I believe the expectations have been, dating back to Barry's regime at the magazine when AMI was first invited to submit regular columns.

Part of the mismatch comes from expectations.  I felt AMI would rise to prominence as a representative  body for the AM Community, to include activism on behalf of our mode and activity.  Instead, it seems more like the wallpaper club that Dale promised it would never become, sending out certificates of partcipation in activities that, frankly, involve stuff we do with or without their being a declared "event."

I don't mind posting a rather harsh characterization, because Dale already knows that I have been willing to push AMI into a more involved role, and that I have been wondering why he does not see the merits of doing so.

SO be it; in the years since AMI was founded, it may have inevitably lost its place with the rise of AM-oriented websites, email circulation and reflector-type notification and news outlets.  There's still a place for AMI in the scheme of things, including a more frequently updated outlet such as here, but it's up to Dale to quit neglecting the effort it takes to maintain visibility for AMI, or else hand it over to someone who can continue running the group.

That's why I asked him whether he planned elections for National and Regional leadership, to which he has not responded.

W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2005, 10:08:35 AM »

Paul, for reasons unknown to me, I never joined up with AMI. I guess it was one of those things that I would do when I get a 'roundtuit'. I don't feel you are being harsh. I think you are stating what needs to be said. Maybe Dale needs a 'roundtuit' also.

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
W1UJR
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2005, 10:18:47 AM »

Your points are well taken Paul.

As to the concept of elections, yes, that does seem to be a good idea. Perhaps some sort of national conference, on a cyber basis of course, would be the solution. A new slate of officers, or reelection of the existing ones, would not be a bad method to freshen up the organization.

I think, as you pointed out, it would also be a good idea to understand what role, if any, that AMI may take in advocacy for the preservation of Amplitude Modulation. If such advocacy is agreed upon by member and leadership, then it should be a simple matter to develop and implement such an outline.

As a point of reference, the following was taken from the AMI brochure:

How can AMI help you enjoy AM?
AMI encourages regional AM activity insuring that there is AM available somewhere on the amateur bands, no matter where you live.
AMI sponsors operating events and contests.
AMI encourages use of classic radios as well as modern AM capable equipment.
AMI encourages amateurs to get involved with their radios, from simple modifications to extensive homebrew projects.

How can AMI promote AM?
AMI has slide and video presentations suitable for use at club meetings and hamfests.
AMI members conduct net operations that are open to all amateurs.
AMI encourages submission of AM articles for publication in amateur radio magazines.
AMI keeps manufacturers informed about AM use trends.

How can AMI preserve AM?
AMI monitors developments in amateur radio practice, policy, and regulation that could affect AM operation.
AMI keeps its membership informed and recommends actions if threats arise.
AMI members stand ready to exert influence on organizations and government to preserve AM operating privileges.
It would, in light of the current threats to our mode, be an excellent idea to have a “go-to” guy or organization for League contact. Certainly we would all speak louder if we spoke with one voice, be it AMI or another group. Given the unification which Steve, and now Gary’s board, has brought to the AM community, the AM Forum could very well serve as a rally point to direct such into supporting AMI.

Perhaps a clarification of the AMI's intent and goals would serve to address the concerns which you have raised.

Again, I know Dale to be a man of integrity and suspect that Dale currently has his hands full and is busy with family and such around the holidays.
I think an additional email after the New Year may serve to catch his attention.

73 and Merry Christmas to you and Pam,
Bruce W1UJR
WB2RJR

1st BCT, 10th Mountain, returned from Iraq 11/2008

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2005, 03:10:18 PM »

Paul,

What a trouble maker.

Why don't you get right to the point and ask what the rules are for electing directors and how long they serve?

Bet you get as far as Bob K0YJ (K1YJK) did about 8 or 10 years ago.

Why would you want to disturb a perfect record of 12 years with no elections?

Haven't gotten an answer. Well everyone knows, except you, that you're not supposed to talk about this.

73 Marty WB2RJR AMI #20

AMI #20, GACW #786
WA3VJB
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2005, 08:12:36 AM »

Dale replied with a more comprehensive note responding to my questions.
I'm sure he wouldn't mind my posting it here as part of the discussion.

Paul,

Only one AMI update in ER this year.  I only take the ER space if I
have
items that are of some import.  Membership continues to grow.
Certificate
assignment is current.  In the last couple of years we changed
directors in
several regions.  Directors were appointed after consultation with them
and
upon recommendations of other AM ops in the regions who are known to
me, or
other directors personally.  The idea of elections was dropped early in
AMI's history because there was so little response from the membership
for a
proposed nomination and election cycle.

Most AMI activities are local, with either regional directors involved
in
driving activities, or just grass roots efforts involving AMI members.

Warren
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2005, 09:28:57 PM »

To Paraphrase  John F. Kennedy Inaugural address of  January 20, 1961:

"And so, my fellow AMers: ask not what  AMI can do for you - ask what you can do for AMI."

73 Merry Christmas
Happy Channukah
Happy Kwanza
Happy New Year's

Warren K2ORS/WD2XGJ

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015