The AM Forum
May 08, 2024, 03:23:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: AM Dinosaurs and Money  (Read 11132 times)
KL7OF

« on: December 11, 2005, 11:11:09 AM »

The ham radio hobby has been a part of my life since I was a boy..As I approach retirement and look forward to continuing to enjoy the hobby, I look at all the changes that have taken place and where ham radio is headed.......For me, AM is where it's at...I won't say that I might not develop an interest in another facet of radio at some later time, but AM has always been and will continue to be my focus.....The recent discussions about band plans and the wave of digital communications make me wonder about the future of AM.....
     AM has many enemies in the form of those who covet the bandwidth, and there is a movement to try to eliminate AM as a viable mode.  There is also the fact that the one thing that really drives anything and everything is not happening in the AM community.....MONEY...  Money is after all the driving force behind everything that our society holds dear.... AMer's tend to be homebrewers of rigs and antennas and everything else they need.. When I  look thru the ads in QST, (someone gave me a copy) there is very little there that I would spend money on.   And that's really what it is all about isn't it.....?  There is not much money to be made from the AM segement of Ham Radio...so we get ignored or worse yet, spit at and told to get out of the sandbox...So here I sit with 6000 lbs of radio gear, buying only a few new parts to keep my old stuff running, and wondering what the future holds for AM....If we AMer's were spending money on equipment like the other segments of the hobby, we would have more weight behind our opinions concerning where the hobby is going......But I don't see that happening......So, What can we do?  It's tough being a dinosaur.....
WA3VJB
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2005, 11:21:53 AM »

AM has many enemies in the form of those who covet the bandwidth, and there is a movement to try to eliminate AM as a viable mode.

Steve the premise is wrong on two counts.  It is a small number of critics against AM and they cannot comprise a "movement."

I've never been more optimistic about the viability of our mode and activity in the 30 years I've been involved with it.

Gone are most of the guys who bought into the marketing of SSB to help its struggle toward becoming the mainstream mode of voice communications on HF.  And in the past 15 years there's been a substantial revival in the popularity of vintage tube receivers and transmitters, a movement if you will, that today bestows AM with status as a well-regarded specialty mode.

Occasionally there will be catcalls, grumblings and air wars that seem to target AM, but some if not most of these cases are not mode-specific. They're simple dust ups over a frequency someone wants.  And for the few remaining people who have a hard-on against AM, a good number of them don't know why they're supposed to hate the mode -- they're just parroting what someone else has handed them.

Rest easy my friend.

W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2005, 11:30:51 AM »

Steve said:
If we AMer's were spending money on equipment like the other segments of the hobby, we would have more weight behind our opinions concerning where the hobby is going......But I don't see that happening......So, What can we do?  It's tough being a dinosaur.....

I got to agree with Paul. The squeakiest wheel gets the most grease. So those that are yapping draw all the attention. I will say one thing though. In reference to the parts and equipment. As much as I hate to admit it, the fellows running the class E,H rigs are getting alot of attention and I don't think its all on this forum. They are probably the last vestige of HB'ers left in ham radio save for some QRP radicals (and us tube lovers). I love the warmth and appearance of tubes but these guys are forging a trough far out in front of the rest of hamdom, (in my own opinion).

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
Blaine N1GTU
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2005, 12:25:32 PM »

here is also the fact that the one thing that really drives anything and everything is not happening in the AM community.....MONEY...  Money is after all the driving force behind everything that our society holds dear.... AMer's tend to be homebrewers of rigs and antennas and everything else they need.. When I  look thru the ads in QST, (someone gave me a copy) there is very little there that I would spend money on.

I thought about this. There is plenty of stuff to be bought for our AM stations, just cant find it in QST.
Microphones.
Mixers
Processors/EQ's
cables, coax and/or Tuners(usually have to be homebrew but we still need the parts) that can handle the constant carrier power.
Tubes...many many tubes
parts like caps, air variables, high power resistors etc..
chassis material
racks, panels
FETS  Wink

I havent bought anything through ham radio mags, I get it from places like Avnet, Mouser, All Electronics an Broadcast Supply Worldwide (BSW).
So there is money to be spent and made, its just not going where it normally would.
WV Hoopie
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2005, 12:49:44 PM »

Season's Greetings,

Steve, KL7OF, does have a point on $$. Money does make the world go round. With that, I don't see a company building AM rigs any time soon. Not enough return on investment, thats a real stopper.

I've been playing with this mode more off than on, but only AM when I'm active, never even owned a slopbucket. Astabula Bill would be proud. The main driving force for me is I don't have to send the rig back to the factory for repairs. So, even if Johnson, Hallicrafters, etc. were open for business my $$ would be spent local if the parts are in town. And yes, its the audio, nothing like angle music.

Could be wrong, but there seems to be more AMers now than ever. Its getting tough to even find an old boatanchor to restore. The difference noted on my reentry to the HF bands, been off since 1984, is how often someone with a ricebox joins in the QSO with the AM mode. This is a CHANGE. First its nice to see AM mode included on the SSB rigs, someone is thinking back at the factory in Japan. Twenty years ago, I could only expect intentional QRM from a ricebox. This QRM, to me was more a failure of the ARRL not leading the way for our diverse service (hobby). Also noted is the welcome given to those willing to try out their SSB rig on AM.

Lack of tubes and components that can withstand those voltages will change the approach to the AM mode and HBing. Class E, H rigs are now the latest for those who roll their own. AM is alive and well.

Don't worry Steve, if the ARRL and digital modes outlaw AM, invest in old rigs that have the 11 meter band. Uugh, I still hear AM up there; someone on Ebay would buy it for big bucks. Or you could add a reverb and join the circus. Grin

later............
wd8kdg
Craig

K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2005, 01:00:41 PM »

When I  look thru the ads in QST, (someone gave me a copy) there is very little there that I would spend money on.   And that's really what it is all about isn't it.....?  There is not much money to be made from the AM segement of Ham Radio...so we get ignored or worse yet, spit at and told to get out of the sandbox...So here I sit with 6000 lbs of radio gear, buying only a few new parts to keep my old stuff running, and wondering what the future holds for AM....If we AMer's were spending money on equipment like the other segments of the hobby, we would have more weight behind our opinions concerning where the hobby is going......But I don't see that happening......So, What can we do?  It's tough being a dinosaur.....

Hola Steve,

Well, I think the key is to become diversified within Ham Radio. Some guys can get interested in other areas and some never will. When you can talk and live several languages/cultures within ham radio, you have more influence.. IF that's what you desire.

There's quite a number of active AMers who also operate SSB, DXing, 6M activity, etc.  These guys buy the high end stuff like riceboxes, linears [or build them] play with Yagi antennas, etc. And talk about it openly on the air.

Take Gary/INR for instance. He now has full 160-UHF capability. Rotary Yagis. He can be found occasionally on SSB in the 75M DX window, on 6M, trying new Yagis, etc. He's a purchaser of some of the newest gear - including his interest in the new Flex Radio.  A QST advertiser's dream... well kinda... Grin

Bob/ZM, a dyed in the wool old time AMer, is having a ball on the 75M DX wndow lately.. on ssb. Working Ja's, Europe - the DX spots show it.  Bought a computer controlled Flex radio.

I hear Tina/W1IA, one of the biggest class E proponents on AM, often holding court working Europe on ssb. He's putting up new antennas often including wire arrays and talking about beverages now. He just LOVES working DX down there.

Chuck, K1KW, a high profile Amer since the 60's, is a legend on 40-10M  ssb. He gets on and the pileups are bedlam. Is he having a great time or what?  Chuck has some of the latest gear in his shack as well as the oldest. He's QST's and a manufacturer's dream when it comes to selling to a progressive ham. His antenna farm has been front cover in CQ mag twice.

Frank/GFZ -  who is a leading high end receiver tinkerer. He spends his share on modern parts.

Bob/KBW has quite the modern station including a new $3500 Icom. He spends $$ on solid state parts for his class E  HB rigs. I catch him on 6M ssb often - last night in fact.  Same with Bill/KE1GF - Bill is as modern as they get with technology, homebrewing and spending habits.

Then there's Rich/K1ETP, Al/W1UX, Buddly, and many others who get involved with other ham areas besides AM. 

ALL of the guys mentioned, including myself, [And many I've missed] are potential spenders for high end gear. We also have old buzzard tube stuff.

The point I'm making is that a few of these outside AM ham activities, once tasted, can be a lot of fun.  I find that I NEED to get away from AM and vintage tube stuff once in awhile or it gets old sometimes. It's like going into the same bar night after night. Even if these guys are your best friends, they will get on your nerves after too much exposure. Visiting different modes and bands for awhile and hanging with a different crowd is the key. Radio is always new that way and you are welcomed back everywhere. Mix it up, baby.

Then there's areas that we would never consider. For me, it corntesting. I can appreciate the tremendous time and money these guys put in... but it's not for me. NEXT.

So, as one New Year's  ham resolution, think about just ONE new area you would like to try out. I would recommend trying out 6M or the 75M DX window. These are my favorites. CW is another area. Each requires it's own gear and skills. To be competitive in any will require as much effort as AM.  Start by planning out a new linear for ssb. Many guys start that way. Build up a grounded grid 4-1000A or something like that. Pick up a ricebox for $300. Figure out how to string a beverage, if possible. Buy or build a small 3el 6M Yagi and put on the chimney mount to try the band. Forget getting on 6M with a 75M dipole - you will be bored too quickly. Axe Bob/KBW who built up a new 4el 6M Yagi and is now on almost every night.

Most non-Amers think of us as backwards, into old technology, old buzz transmissions, etc. - they write us off and laugh. But, it's funny to hear their jaws drop when someone like Chuck/KW puts his station through it's paces and smokes their asses in working anywhere in the world, listening ability, technical discussions, etc.  It's funny as heck.

We as active AMers, can carry as much clout as any ham special interest  group, once we are diversified. Then we are not just Amer's, we are important consumers, shakers and movers in the eyes of the ARRL, manufacturers, FCC,  other hams, or whatever group matters to you.

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
WA3VJB
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2005, 02:05:16 PM »

Tom, responding to this --
Most non-Amers think of us as backwards, into old technology, old buzz transmissions, etc. - they write us off and laugh.

I haven't found this to be the case at all. "most non-AMers" that I have encountered are, at the most, simply puzzled that we don't share the allure they have attached to contemporary transceivers. They are neutral going into it, with neither a positive nor a negative pre-disposed view. Yet once they dabble on AM with us, and listen for a while, the impression is invariably warm and likely to bring them back for more.

Also, they are prime to hear the analogy to the old car hobby as a way to understand the fascination. No one would consider people who are into that hobby as "backwards," and they more typically are seen as interested in part of industrial history.

Beyond hardware aspects, to your second point, the content of our QSOs is also an attraction to the fellows more accustomed to rapid-fire, shallow exchanges found in the mainstream. Just yesterday a number of us were on 3825Kc discussing military aircraft. A fellow from Raleigh checked in, told us he had not been on AM in decades, and proceeded to contribute his 2¢ about a V-22 Osprey he saw pop up over the horizon nearby. Not only did he finish up saying he was VERY glad to have encountered us, but he seemed to be primed to join us again "down low" real soon.

Blaine has made an excellent point about the non-traditional destinations for the "money" associated with our part of the hobby. The companies that serve customers in broadcast, music, and sound reinforcement get a portion of our money because they have the equipment that serves our specialized needs.  Yet, when I approached an advertising executive with QST, he was uninterested in contacting a sales rep with Behringer with whom I had been speaking regarding a marketing crossover into the Amateur community.  So much for thinking outside the box.  The same would probably happen if Mouser, Digi-Key and other parts component houses were to try to interest QST's advertising reps with some business.

I haven't even mentioned the high-revenue area of commerce associated with flipping vintage rigs. THERE's some money, but once again, it's not a stream that the group in Newington can easily grasp.
W2INR
Radio Syracuse
Founding

Syracuse Radio W2INR

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2005, 02:16:58 PM »

"THERE's some money, but once again, it's not a stream that the group in Newington can easily grasp."

What Newington has failed to grasp is the reality of hobby they represent.

G - The INR

Amateur Weather Station KNYSYRAC64
Creator - owner - AMfone.net - 2001 - 2010
Founding Member - NEAR-Fest
SWLR-RNØ54
Glenn NY4NC
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2005, 02:51:35 PM »

Wow! what a great Idea Paul!... yes, Behringer would have been an excellent crossover advertiser for QST considering todays ham's interest in audio gear.... and not just for AM'ers, more recently, the SSB crowd have been getting into add-on audio gear. Too bad they have the blinders on.  Roll Eyes

To add to Blaine's comments, another place that AM'ers spend money (besides with QST advertisers) is on E-bay. E-bay has become a candy store for AM'ers and not just for transmitters and receivers...

k3zrf

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2005, 03:10:58 PM »

"THERE's some money, but once again, it's not a stream that the group in Newington can easily grasp."

What Newington has failed to grasp is the reality of hobby they represent.

Yes there is dough-o-lene but it certainly is a BIGGER bang for the buck not to mention the satisfaction guarenteed

Reality, this is reality???

dave/zrf
A closed mouth gathers no foot
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2005, 04:20:45 PM »

Microphones - advertised in QST
Mixers - advertised in QST (heavily geared toward interconnection w/transceivers)
Processors/EQ's - advertised in QST, at least W2IHY stuff
cables, coax and/or Tuners(usually have to be homebrew but we still need the parts) that can handle the constant carrier power. - advertised in QST
Tubes...many many tubes - advertised in QST
parts like caps, air variables, high power resistors etc.. - advertised in QST
chassis material  - advertised in QST
racks, panels - advertised in QST
FETS

So, nearly all this stuff is available in QST. The problem is the lack of selection in either parts or suppliers. But in the case of antenna parts and coax/feedline stuff, there are numerous suppliers advertising in QST. That said, it shouldn't be surprise that there is a vastly greater selection outside of QST (AM related or not). This fact is nothing new in that it's been true for a long time, probably decades, and at least since commerce got cranked up on the Web.
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2005, 08:38:27 PM »

*** WA3VJB SAID:
"I haven't found this to be the case at all. "most non-AMers" that I have encountered are, at the most, simply puzzled that we don't share the allure they have attached to contemporary transceivers. " ***

WE ?  I share a tremendous allure for contemporary transceivers as do many other AMers. I feel every enthusiatic AMer should have at least one high tech, accurate digital readout radio in the shack capable of ssb. Many reasons... one being able to confront aggressive interfering ssbers on their own turf... another being that ssb can be very enjoyable with a group of friends, esp when cornditions suck. And to mention the Dxing fun on ssb.

*** WA3VJB SAID:
"Beyond hardware aspects, to your second point, the content of our QSOs is also an attraction to the fellows more accustomed to rapid-fire, shallow exchanges found in the mainstream." ****

I think you're mixing operation styles with modes.  Take 75M. If you listen up and down the band, you will hear the majority of ssb QSOs laid back, just like AM. The difference is VOX, just like normal people talk in a normal group. The reason for the "rapid fire, shallow exchanges" QSO is  when there is a difficult or long distance contact involved, like DXing in the DX window. [Let's not talk about corntests, please..] Rapid fire on SSB is in the minority on 75M, 160 and 40M.   The higher bands are mainly DX bands, thus have more rapid fire.

Long winded AM round tables are OK once in awhile, but I find mixing in some rapid fire QSO's on both ssb and AM is fun too. I think many AMers also feel this way, as I can get on 75M AM and work 30-40 stations out west in an hour with excellent pileups. If they didn't like this action, there wud be no one calling...  Grin  Hams are very interested in their ability to get out far, thus rapid fire.  If I wanna buzzard and tell my life story every time, I'll  make a tele call or use Gary's web voice thingy.

When talking local, rapid fire makes no sense, of course, on any mode.

I think the allure of AM to newcomers is mostly the friendly, warm welcome. Where else do you get this on 75m? Remember that most newbies are listening to you on 2.4kc ricebox bandwidths. It ain't the fidelity they like at first. In contrast, many of the hard core SSB groups will ream your ass if you check in knowing no one.  The "NewComer Welcoming Commitee"  is one of our main strengths. The rest comes later.

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
WA3VJB
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2005, 09:04:11 PM »

Tom,
I was responding to the stereotype you put forth ---

Most non-Amers think of us as backwards, into old technology, old buzz transmissions, etc. - they write us off and laugh.

To the extent "old buzz' transmissions are found, they can be enjoyable for the reasons I cited.
Old technology, as you proposed, has its own merit and is also of great enjoyment.
Backwards, well, the closest I got to that was the subject matter we might be heard discussing, which more often than not is quite current.

I hope this clarifies that while some folks may find support for stereotypes, they're outnumbered by those who value the very things you cited as a source of ridicule. So it's not "most non-AMers," at all.

WA1GFZ

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2005, 09:24:58 PM »

Hey man we are not backwards
We are cheap we buy only buy proven stuff.
We do not buy the typical junk. So we are not interested in a $750 tuner than can be built for $100 and handle real power.
We don't need no stinkin $4K linear when a Mr. ugly can be built for under $1K.

We don't fit the rice box mold
We don't fit the G5RV for $100 mold

KL7OF

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2005, 11:13:07 AM »

OK Class, what have we learned from all this?

AM operators are diversified.
AM operators are pioneers of design in solid state electronics.
 We are homebrewers of radios using tubes and Class E,H, technology.
  We make our own antennas.
We do spend money on the ART of radio.
We work other modes.
We are growing as a group with newcomers to the mode every day.
We are facing possible restriction on our AM operation.
Newington has failed to grasp the reality of the hobby they represent.

There is more to add to this list................

Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2005, 01:53:24 PM »

Wow! what a great Idea Paul!... yes, Behringer would have been an excellent crossover advertiser for QST considering todays ham's interest in audio gear.... and not just for AM'ers, more recently, the SSB crowd have been getting into add-on audio gear. Too bad they have the blinders on.  Roll Eyes

To add to Blaine's comments, another place that AM'ers spend money (besides with QST advertisers) is on E-bay. E-bay has become a candy store for AM'ers and not just for transmitters and receivers...

So what's stopping Behringer and similar manufacturers from approaching the CQ, QST, WorldRadio, Ad managers and requesting Ad space.
Of course, many of the newer rigs have receiver and transmitter audio tailoring built in which is probably just fine for the "average" ham. The W2IHY audio boxes have also been very popular over the last several years.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2005, 02:03:46 PM »

OK Class, what have we learned from all this?
,cut.
We are facing possible restriction on our AM operation.

Premature statement; where's the facts

Newington has failed to grasp the reality of the hobby they represent.

Maybe they're really trying to grasp the reality of the amateur radio service instead and how it will play out in 10 to 20 years from now.

Glenn NY4NC
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2005, 04:56:38 PM »

Pete;

They weren't interested.... read what Paul said;

"when I approached an advertising executive with QST, he was uninterested in contacting a sales rep with Behringer with whom I had been speaking regarding a marketing crossover into the Amateur community"

Riceboxes with Built-in audio adjustments and those external rip-off boxes with 3 EQ controls don't hold a candle to the pro level audio processing gear that is readily available in places other than QST, for very little money.

"the average ham" doesn't have to settle for overpriced gimmick box when he can have the real thing.

So what's stopping Behringer and similar manufacturers from approaching the CQ, QST, WorldRadio, Ad managers and requesting Ad space.

Of course, many of the newer rigs have receiver and transmitter audio tailoring built in which is probably just fine for the "average" ham. The W2IHY audio boxes have also been very popular over the last several years.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2005, 07:56:13 PM »

Pete;

They weren't interested.... read what Paul said;

"when I approached an advertising executive with QST, he was uninterested in contacting a sales rep with Behringer with whom I had been speaking regarding a marketing crossover into the Amateur community"

Riceboxes with Built-in audio adjustments and those external rip-off boxes with 3 EQ controls don't hold a candle to the pro level audio processing gear that is readily available in places other than QST, for very little money.

"the average ham" doesn't have to settle for overpriced gimmick box when he can have the real thing.

I took Paul's statement to mean he approached QST Ad Executive. My statement was opposite. Behringer should contact the QST, CQ Ad managers. I find it hard to believe Behringer would want to target the amateur market. They don't know the wide variety of equipment that might interface with their boxes, RF environments might be unique at each amateur location. Interface cables might also be an issue. Support probably would be a bear. This arena probably would not give them the best bang for the buck.

""the average ham" doesn't have to settle for overpriced gimmick box when he can have the real thing."

I don't consider the IHY boxes to be gimmick or over priced boxes. He provides a niche accessory that's very popular and functional in the amateur arena. His support of these products is outstanding. If you have a problem or issue with his products, give him a call, and he'll spend as much time as it takes, to get your problem resolved. Word has it that, at times, he even makes "house calls" to resolve a problem. Paying for a product that works well, doesn't have a thousand adjustments on it to make it work well, is generally familiar with the amateur equipment you might be using, and great, great support, is well worth the price of the product.

K1MVP
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2005, 09:41:26 PM »

AM has many enemies in the form of those who covet the bandwidth, and there is a movement to try to eliminate AM as a viable mode.

Steve the premise is wrong on two counts.  It is a small number of critics against AM and they cannot comprise a "movement."

I've never been more optimistic about the viability of our mode and activity in the 30 years I've been involved with it.

Gone are most of the guys who bought into the marketing of SSB to help its struggle toward becoming the mainstream mode of voice communications on HF.  And in the past 15 years there's been a substantial revival in the popularity of vintage tube receivers and transmitters, a movement if you will, that today bestows AM with status as a well-regarded specialty mode.

Occasionally there will be catcalls, grumblings and air wars that seem to target AM, but some if not most of these cases are not mode-specific. They're simple dust ups over a frequency someone wants.  And for the few remaining people who have a hard-on against AM, a good number of them don't know why they're supposed to hate the mode -- they're just parroting what someone else has handed them.

Rest easy my friend.

Hi Paul,
 As we have discussed this issue before(both on QRZ and on the air) I still think you
 are an "eternal optimist", hi hi --being the "pessimist" that I am,-- I really still am
 very "leary" of the future of AM.

Hey, I hope I am wrong in this case, cause I now enjoy AM more than SSB,
 and I got rid of my TS-530 a year or two ago and traded it for an SB-200
 "liittle amp" which I use mainly on AM to give my FT-101 a "kick".

But back to "reality" there are in fact "elements" out there who would like
 to see AM and CW go the way of spark gap. IMO.

73, Rene, K1MVP

P.S.,  This  new year will tell us a lot about the way the FCC "views" ham
          radio with the proposals now being presented before them.
          A friend of mine licensed since the mid 50`s is in the
          process of "dumping" most of his equipment.

He gives the service another 5 years at best,--I am not quite at that
          point,--although I am "thinning down" and have sold a lot of my AM
          gear.

I am a little more optimistic, I give the service another 10 years at "best".

73`s again, Rene     
Glenn NY4NC
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2005, 11:03:37 PM »

I took Paul's statement to mean he approached QST Ad Executive. My statement was opposite. Behringer should contact the QST, CQ Ad managers.

Why should Behringer approach the QST Ad exec if he already said he wasn't interested?

I find it hard to believe Behringer would want to target the amateur market. They don't know the wide variety of equipment that might interface with their boxes, RF environments might be unique at each amateur location. Interface cables might also be an issue. Support probably would be a bear. This arena probably would not give them the best bang for the buck.

Not hard to believe at all. Behringer manufacturers audio gear. Amateur radio is simply another market for this audio gear. RF enviroments? their gear has already proven to be quite RF immune in a properly grounded station. Many folks on this forum (myself included) have been using Behringer gear in the shack while running high power without problems. From what I understand, their gear is also being used in the broadcast industry as well. Interface cables??  are you saying the typical amateur is not capable of doing the very simple wiring required to interface an audio processor, equalizer or mixer to their radio?  Huh Very sad.

I don't consider the IHY boxes to be gimmick or over priced boxes. He provides a niche accessory that's very popular and functional in the amateur arena. His support of these products is outstanding. If you have a problem or issue with his products, give him a call, and he'll spend as much time as it takes, to get your problem resolved. Word has it that, at times, he even makes "house calls" to resolve a problem. Paying for a product that works well, doesn't have a thousand adjustments on it to make it work well, is generally familiar with the amateur equipment you might be using, and great, great support, is well worth the price of the product.

Well then I guess we disagree... because I consider the IHY boxes to be overpriced tone controls designed for appliance operators that don't want to bother to take the time to learn and experiment with professional audio gear that actually costs less and does more. Sorry if I've offended anyone but that's my story and I'm sticking to it  Angry

I have no doubt that what you say about IHY tech support is true however that fact alone does not justify the purchase. Functionality, versatility and value are just as important. I have been in contact with Behringer tech support on a number of occasions and they have always been very helpful, professional and patient. Their gear is  not so complicated that someone that holds an amateur radio license couldn't figure out how to connect and use it. I guess some hams feel because a piece of equipment was designed specifically for an amateur transciever, that automatically makes it better than a piece if gear that was designed for the professional and amateur audio market. Aint so!

WA3VJB
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2005, 10:04:42 AM »

I know Rene, we disagree on the outside perception of AM's place in broader Amateur Society.

One way to measure an improvement from 30 years ago, when we mobilized as a distinct group against a rulemaking proposal, is to look at raw numbers and levels of observed participation on the air.

I came back on the air in 1987 after living with the wrong woman in a townhouse for a few years. I kept in touch with folks and knew what was what, but in the years since then there has been an amazing growth in our specialty.

Here, it's sort of like preaching to the choir, but you know as well as I do that there was NO way you would see as many as a half dozen roundtables on 75m that we now see on the weekends up and down the phone band.

Same thing on 40 meters weekends -- three and four concurrent QSOs, albeit spaced too damn close to one another for my liking.

Cycle 23 on 10 meters saw AM turnout to levels not seen since SSB won its battle to become the mainstream mode.

160 meters, AM operators are the most regularly observed, distinct and identifyable group on the band.

There's something behind us Rene that presents a nice calling card to the uninitiated, and that may very well explain why there are so few remaining "enemies" expressing themselves anymore.
w1guh
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2005, 02:15:47 PM »

Two thoughts...

The commercial value of the HF spectrum is very low now (nil?).  It seems a good time to consider going for more space.  Maybe not possible, but has any group (like the one with 4 letters) recognized this?  Or am I just dreaming?

And  the other thought is AM/SSB cross-mode exchanges.  When I was using ol' scratchy on 75 I heard an SSB guy calling CQ on 75 and for a lark I zero-beated him and gave him a call.  It wasn't until I told him what I was running that he even knew I was on AM.  He switched over to AM on his rice box and we had a nice QSO.
KL7OF

« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2005, 06:50:13 PM »

Quote....."It seems a good time to be going for more space".....What a wonderful idea!.....Go on the offense........How does one make that happen...? 
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2005, 09:00:55 PM »

Two thoughts...

The commercial value of the HF spectrum is very low now (nil?).  It seems a good time to consider going for more space.  Maybe not possible, but has any group (like the one with 4 letters) recognized this?  Or am I just dreaming?

And  the other thought is AM/SSB cross-mode exchanges.  When I was using ol' scratchy on 75 I heard an SSB guy calling CQ on 75 and for a lark I zero-beated him and gave him a call.  It wasn't until I told him what I was running that he even knew I was on AM.  He switched over to AM on his rice box and we had a nice QSO.

Seems to me I read somewhere not to long ago, that there may be a possibility of getting more 60 meter space in the future. Also, when more of the foreign broadcasters relocate outside of the 40 meter band over the next 5 to 10 years, there will be at least more space to operate.

Cross-mode iinitial contact, after a CQ, seem to be very common on 75. It happens almost every time I call CQ on AM anywhere between 3830 and 3870.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015