The AM Forum
May 05, 2024, 07:09:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Heathkit, Knight, Gonset ¿which is the best to start????  (Read 10465 times)
milton
« on: December 08, 2005, 05:34:34 PM »

Hi, im totally new in this matter but I am here because I want your kindly help and advice.
I want to start in the radio amateur world but i'm not sure which is the best unit to start, I was looking at a Hethkit DX-60 on Ebay but I was affraid to offer too much for it because I really ignore if it can be suitable for communicate with other fellows with modern transistorized midlands and cobras.
I dont want a modern unit I want a vintage tube one but I feel fooled with terms as SSB USB CW etc.
I really would apreciate it any advice in this point.
Thanks in advance.
Milton Valerio
COSTA RICA.
W2INR
Radio Syracuse
Founding

Syracuse Radio W2INR

« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2005, 05:59:17 PM »

Hello Milton

I see you are new to AMfone. Welcome!

You have asked a question in the right place. This technical section has some of the best in the hobby and I am sure you will get more than enough information. There is info in the handbook section of the bbs  as well as other sections on this site that may help steer you also.  Have fun!

I wish you luck in your pursuit into the hobby. 

Gary / W2INR

G - The INR

Amateur Weather Station KNYSYRAC64
Creator - owner - AMfone.net - 2001 - 2010
Founding Member - NEAR-Fest
SWLR-RNØ54
W8EJO

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2005, 07:19:27 PM »

Milton,

Buy a good used Drake TR-4 or TR-4C or a Swan 500 or 700. They are good vintage tube transceivers that can be had with power supply in the $250-$300 range.

You can work CW, SSB & AM.

Terry
W8EJO

Terry, W8EJO

Freedom and liberty - extremist ideas since 1776.
Glenn NY4NC
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2005, 06:12:45 PM »

Hi Milton;

Just wanted to make sure you are not confusing Amateur Radio with Citizens band. You mentioned Heathkit DX-60 which is an Amateur Radio transmitter. You also mentioned "transistorized Midlands and Cobras" which are citizens band radios. Two completely different types of radio services. You would not purchase an Amateur Radio DX-60 transmitter to communicate with citizens band "Midlands and Cobras" as you mentioned.

Just wanted to make sure you understood the difference. Do you have an amateur radio license? if not, we may be able to recommend some study material to help you pass the exam. Feel free to ask more questions if you like.

Glenn NY4NC

Hi, im totally new in this matter but I am here because I want your kindly help and advice.
I want to start in the radio amateur world but i'm not sure which is the best unit to start, I was looking at a Hethkit DX-60 on Ebay but I was affraid to offer too much for it because I really ignore if it can be suitable for communicate with other fellows with modern transistorized midlands and cobras.
I dont want a modern unit I want a vintage tube one but I feel fooled with terms as SSB USB CW etc.
I really would apreciate it any advice in this point.
Thanks in advance.
Milton Valerio
COSTA RICA.
milton
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2005, 12:41:20 PM »

Thanks guys, well first you need to know that I live in Costa Rica not in US. although we have similar laws like yours.
now respect to the CB or amateur radio question, yes I know that they are different but as far as I know both are AM signals ¿am I correct? there are the CB 11 meter and amateur are 10 meter 40,80, etc but still are AM signals.
So the question here is ¿can I retune a 10 meter radio to receive/transmit in 11mts?
Probably you are asking why to do this? well this is because as far as I know the amateur radio activity here in Costa Rica turns mostly in 11 meters and I never have heard about anybody transmitting in 20, 40, 60, 80, or 160 mts.
2 meter and smaller are for taxis, govmnt and private services so no amat activity here.
I love tubes, so thaths why I want a vintage unit not a transistorized cheaper radio.
So basically thats my situation now guys is your turn to bring me a beam of light here.
Thanks.
Milton
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2005, 02:01:51 PM »

Hi Milton,

CB radio is like riding a bicycle and ham radio is like flying an airplane. You might want to try using a good receiver that works on the amateur bands to see what you are missing. If you have not been able to hear hams then there is some sort of problem. You should be able to hear much ham activity. We can help you out on the details. Making an old tube radio work on 11 metres is largely a waste of time. That band is loaded with noise and poor operating practices.
    Many of today's hams come from the ranks of CB. It is generally understood that once someone becomes a ham they are expected to follow certain rules and be an asset to the service. This is one of the main reasons that ham radio is much more fun than CB. You can still find many ex-CBers on ham radio. We currently are having a lot of QRM on out 75 metre AM calling frequency from a CB group that has moved to ham radio. Maybe you have heard of their leader. I think his CB handle is "Thumper". Have you heard Thumper on skip? I think he only operates using the ssb. Maybe on channel 38 usb.
    There are a great many more ex-CBers who have figured out how to operate on the ham bands without ruining the communications of others.
     You have found the best place on the internet to get advice. We always welcome newcomers.
Dave W2APE.
Ed KB1HVS

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2005, 06:29:09 PM »

Hello Milton. You might like to look into a Yaesu Ft101 series or FT 102 tranceivers. They are hybrid units with transistorized receivers with tubes in the PA. They are quite popular and there is information on this site for TX/RX modifications that will make them play nice on AM. But unmodified they are not that bad either. 73 Ed

KB1HVS. Your Hi Value Station
milton
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2005, 04:37:12 PM »

Well guys thanks for make me feel welcome.
I have not hear this guy Thumper although I have a Hallicrafters S-120 receiver anyway I dont think to be possible for me to hear him unless he transmits with a 100 Kw transmitter because I am in Central America and I dont think that the radio amateur transmitters can send so far.
But I can hear all the frequencies from the 180 mt to 10 mt and believe me theres no amateur activity here until the 11 mt.
bad for me ¿dont you think guys?

Milton.
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2005, 06:23:37 PM »

Yes well Thumper might not be getting out all that well. What do you use for an antenna on the old receiver?
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2005, 06:46:16 PM »

There is apparently quite a bit of AM activity in Brazil and a few South American countries. I've heard from these guys, to name a few.

Guilherme - PY2UP
Carlos - PY2HC
Junior - PY2TD
Marco - PY2CWW
Orestes - PY2OH
Benito - PY2BVF
Cristian - LU6HCQ

Frequencies used include 3.530, 3650, 7.120, 7.200 MHz.
milton
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2005, 08:07:57 PM »

Dave, In my Hallicrafters S-120 I use a single 15 meter wire horizontally from post to post at 2.50 mts from earth in my back patio.
This radio is intended to work with a 45 inches whip antenna but the long wire raises the reception far more.
I recently finished to restore a 1954 Philips HX538 which can receive from 180 mts to 11 mts and the same story, amateur activity is only at 11 mts.
Now, I hear some radio activity in other bands as 40 mts or 80 mts but the people sound like talkin with your nose closed, I think this is SSB ¿am I right?

Milton
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2005, 08:17:12 PM »

Dave, In my Hallicrafters S-120 I use a single 15 meter wire horizontally from post to post at 2.50 mts from earth in my back patio.
This radio is intended to work with a 45 inches whip antenna but the long wire raises the reception far more.
I recently finished to restore a 1954 Philips HX538 which can receive from 180 mts to 11 mts and the same story, amateur activity is only at 11 mts.
Now, I hear some radio activity in other bands as 40 mts or 80 mts but the people sound like talkin with your nose closed, I think this is SSB ¿am I right?

Milton

You will do best with a center fed antenna. Those reject noise from house appliances.
If signals heard sounded like operator was looking at output meter and not letting meter drop below 3/4 scale and saying uhhhhhh a lot then was most likely ham ssb.
Glenn NY4NC
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2005, 08:55:07 PM »

Hi Milton;

I think I understand why you are having a hard time locating amateur radio conversations..You really need an Amateur band receiver or at least a receiver that has a bandspread for the amateur bands. Your Hallicrafters s-120 was mainly designed as a table top shortwave AM broadcast receiver....It will be very difficult to locate the tiny spots on the main tuning dial that are the amateur bands. If you do manage to locate an amateur conversation on the dial it will probably be hard to keep it tuned in....or find another one later on..

Used amateur band receivers are very inexpensive, very affordable. Here's a photo of an amateur band receiver, you can see how the amateur bands are spread out across a large area... very easy to locate signals.

Milton
Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2005, 10:56:17 PM »

Hello Milton,
               Welcome aboard and you certainly came to the right place to post your question! You may want to access this website:http:// http://www.amcostarica.com/101804.htm

You'll find information on how to become a "Ham" in Costa Rica" and even some information about AM operations on the Ham bands in your counrty. I think I can speak for all of us here and say that we appreciate your enthusiasm for the AM mode. It has a warm inviting sound that sideband or even FM can't match. We would all LOVE to be able to talk to you on the Ham bands once you receive your license.

I think the advice given you to buy a receiver and listen in to the activity in Costa Rica and elsewhere is a great idea. If you feel it isn't for you then you won't have  alot of money invested in the hobby. If you feel you would like to pursue it further, you would already have a receiver you could use to compliment your Ham station. Dave Calhoun, W2APE stated that a lot of us came from the ranks of CB and can appreciate your enthusiasm over radio. I'm one of them who came from those ranks. I enjoyed CB at one time, but love Ham/Amateur Radio so much more. The extra privledges afforded the Ham Operator enable him to make full use of the radio spectrum in ways he could only have dreamed about on CB. I'm not saying that you can operate anywhere on any band with your Ham license, just that you're not restricted to one band with only a few types of propogation, ground wave and "skip". Think of being legally allowed to "skip" 24 hours a day just by choosing a different band. It's cool!

You'll be able to use your mind as well as your hands and develop skills you might not even know you have! For me, it's the companionship of guys like me, who enjoy working on, talking about, and talking on the radio that really keeps me in the hobby. I've made lots of friends, both locally and far away, and have talked to people I would never have had the opportunity to talk to if I didn't have my license.

Should you choose to find out more about Amateur Radio in Costa Rica, I wish you the best of luck, and like I previously said, it would be great to welcome you to our fraternity and talk to you on the air!

Oh yes, to answer your question about which radio is right for you, I'd recommend starting out with a 100W transmitter and working your way up from there. The make or model isn't as important as it's operating and cosmetic condition. The better condition it's in from the onset, the more time you can learn about it and talk to others on the air. Most Hams are "tinkerers" and love to work on and talk about their equiptment.

Very Best Regards,
                         Joe Cro N3IBX

Joe Cro N3IBX

Anything that is Breadboarded,Black Crackle, or that squeals when you tune it gives me MAJOR WOOD!
xe1yzy

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2005, 09:59:57 AM »

Hi Milton...

Welcome to the bord!, well Im agree with Joe Cro, try to get your  ham license, then you can expand your horizons in the radio hobby, this forum is a unvaluable resource of knowldge, help, and information, dont be to much concern about what kind of radio you should buy, after all, old AM radiios never are enough! Grin you will see, right guys?.

Buena Suerte!

Pedro/ XE1YZY

TVI WHAT TVI?
milton
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2005, 02:50:58 PM »

Well, Joe thanks for the link, and Pedro too.
I have news for all of you, tonight I won at Ebay a Multi-Elmac AF 68 with power supply.

Milton.
Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2005, 09:04:29 PM »

Well, Joe thanks for the link, and Pedro too.
I have news for all of you, tonight I won at Ebay a Multi-Elmac AF 68 with power supply.

Milton.

Milton,
        Congradulations on winning the AF-68. That rig with a good amplifier and antenna will put out a big signal!
        Best Regards,
                          Joe Cro N3IBX

Joe Cro N3IBX

Anything that is Breadboarded,Black Crackle, or that squeals when you tune it gives me MAJOR WOOD!
milton
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2005, 12:22:16 PM »

Amplifier?Huh  Shocked Hmmm, as I understand the unit is capable of transmit by itself, although you mean to switch it to a more powerful transmitter. ¿thats it or Im wrong?

Milton
Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2005, 02:18:17 PM »

Amplifier?Huh  Shocked Hmmm, as I understand the unit is capable of transmit by itself, although you mean to switch it to a more powerful transmitter. ¿thats it or Im wrong?

Milton

Milton,
        Yes, you are correct. The Multi-Elmac AF-68 by itself will put out about 25-30 watts or so. It's a very good transmitter to run by itself, or use as an exciter to drive an amplifier. If you plan to use it during periods of high QRM (static,interference, etc) 25 watts won't get through as well as a higher powered transmitter. When the bands are quiet or during certain times of the day, it'll be fine.

Regards,
            Joe Cro N3IBX

Joe Cro N3IBX

milton
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2005, 11:37:32 AM »

Ahhh! I see, yeah thanks for the tip Wink

Milton
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015