The AM Forum
May 08, 2024, 02:39:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Firefox - anyone tried it?  (Read 5450 times)
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« on: December 04, 2005, 01:03:37 PM »

Mozilla just released a new version, v1.5 of the Firefox browser.  I downloaded it, but think I'll wait a while before installing it.  I checked out a couple of the user forums.  Some people praise the new version to high heaven, while others have had problems with it.  One good word of advice, back up your bookmarks.  Some say it worked fine for them, except for the fact that they lost their bookmark file.

I didn't rush to install Windows XP SP2.  Ordered the CD, but sat on it for a few weeks until I had observed others' comments.  Finally did install it with no problems whatever.

The old version of Firefox (what I'm using right now), v1.0.7, sure beats the hell out of Internet Explorer.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
KB1IAW

« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2005, 03:37:19 PM »

I'm using it. Seems to run smoothly but I lost the use of the Spellbound spell checker. A look at the extensions shows that it's still there but the Mozilla Spellchecker Library is disabled and not compatible with Firefox 1.5. Hopefully they are working on it.
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2005, 05:36:40 PM »

Been using it since it was in beta. Works fine.
You might like the changes to the Tools menu,
maybe not. Solid, reliable and easy upgrade.
W2INR
Radio Syracuse
Founding

Syracuse Radio W2INR

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2005, 05:54:34 PM »

I have been using the 1.5 version since it was released. I have had no problems. It appears to be stable and I like some of the new features

G - The INR

Amateur Weather Station KNYSYRAC64
Creator - owner - AMfone.net - 2001 - 2010
Founding Member - NEAR-Fest
SWLR-RNØ54
Jim, W5JO

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2005, 07:26:20 PM »

I have Firefox and IE on my computer and for several months vascillated between both.  Tried Firefox for several months and could not see any difference from IE.  Popups and other garbage came through. 

I have IE 6.X and MS's spyware, firewall plus Norton for everything else.  I do not have any trouble at all with any popups, trojans, worms, or anything.  Automatic updates, which Firefox and Thunderbird do not offer, and automatic scanning of my complete computer each week for adware, spyware, etc. and viruii all automatically. 

Now tell me what is wrong with that?
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2005, 04:54:11 PM »

Just downloaded it. I don't see any changes nor have I lost anything that I know of Huh

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2005, 01:23:36 PM »

For those lamenting, should I or shouldn't I, upgrade to this version, here's a writeup on eWeek.com.

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,1895630,00.asp

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
John Holotko

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2005, 07:08:36 PM »

If you're not sure then why not run both versions ?? I do it all the time when I'm testing out new software. No need to have to trash the old version just to try the new version.

N2IZE<br /><br />Because infinity comes in different sizes.
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2005, 06:58:02 PM »

I have a problem with Java. If I want to run a weather radar loop if says I need to download plugins. So I download them but they’ll never install. I started to look for a correction and found on their HELP site a software installer they recommend called Nullsoft. Well it downloaded ok but I can't figure out how to use it. Java works ok on IE. I never could use Java on any version of Firefox.

Any ideas??? Angry Angry Angry Angry

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
ka0pad
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2005, 07:46:49 PM »

This might not help, but for my linux installs I've allways had to add a link to the java librarys in the firefox plugins directory.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2005, 03:52:04 PM »

Another issue with Firefox 1.5 that has surfaced on the forums:  it may be a memory hog.

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=354828

Right now, using the OLD version of Firefox, my System Information reads:

Total physical memory 512.00 MB 
Available physical memory 186.92 MB

Most of this memory usage is not due to Firefox.  Loads of memory is gobbled up by ZoneArarm firewall and McAfee anti-virus, plus numerous other applications that automatically start up when the computer is booted.  I have turned off many of these automatic startups, but others are required for the system to function properly.  Some are unknown, and I haven't turned them off until I am sure what they do. But I don't know if I want to tie up another 100MB.  That would leave me with not much more memory available than my old computer had totally , 64 MB.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015