The AM Forum
May 03, 2024, 12:21:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Holy Cow---- East West Awesome  (Read 4066 times)
VE7 Kilohertz

« on: December 03, 2005, 03:18:51 AM »

Well the band was a hoppin tonight. It started out with the normal QSO on 3870 with the locals, then as I was signing at 7:00pm, Paul WA3VJB called me and he was 20 over, then Gary W2INR chimed in also at 20 over. Great QSO. Then before I could leave to get supper, another call came in..... and before I went to the house, it was 11:30pM local. Damn near 8 hours on the radio in one shot. ShXXit!!

Anyway, stations worked this evening were amazing, and all over 20+ over 9. Great audio!!

WA1HLR - Tim
WA2PJP - Joe
W2DTC - Ken
KA0ZYD
KC9IBT - Barry
KD3AHE - Frank
W2ZM - Bob
W0VMC - Robert
K7YOO - Skipper
KL7OF - Mr. Tum Tum
K2DK - Dave

And probably a few more which I appologize for missing.

Best 73

Paul
VE7KHz

Women. Ya can't live with them......pass the beer nuts!
WA3VJB
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2005, 07:52:04 AM »

I knew the band was going to "do" something, just the way signals were behaving at sunset. The afternoon started with a nice chat I had on 3815KC at 2200Z with Tom, W2KBW on the Collins 20V2. It was not unusual that we should have such dominant signals both ways. I then moved up to join a group on 3825Kc from about 2215-2300Z, including Dave, K3ZRF (& Pam Dub*), Jay N3WWL,  Ralph, W3GL, Brent W1IA and Gary W2INR.

It was here that "something" started brewing.

All of a sudden, just after local sunset (2248Z yesterday), Jay's signal started swinging wildly, and I mean excursions of 30db. He was hearing the same. I had  not seen the band getting 'flicted this early unless an aurora had burst upon the scene. I had to close for dinner, but left everything on for the fun and games that would follow.

Great working you, Paul, and I hope you passed along to the other PacNW folks that we are listening for them.

Would this be a working list of folks we should listen for on 3870 out your way ?
http://www.w7jhs.com/wst_page9.html

Yes, as you will hear in a sound file I'll post here later today, there was some slopbucket congestion on both sides of you, but saving the day were the mechanical filters of the R390A, combined with that densely packed audio from your Optimod 9100 series processor into your Bauer 707.

Your "garden hose variety" Bauer, I should point out.

*Pam Dub is Pam W. to distinguish from Pam, C-Type associated with VJB
KL7OF

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2005, 12:14:48 PM »

Paul....You are correct..condx were excellent on 75..W2ZM was able to work PE1MPH on 75 last nite as well......160 was alive also......   I heard Don K4KYV  and WA1HLR and others with very strong sigs here on top band......You must remember to go up to the house and get something to eat or better yet keep a stash of goodies in the garage fridge for late nite AM munching to prevent premature operator failure...
VE7 Kilohertz

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2005, 10:34:44 PM »

Would this be a working list of folks we should listen for on 3870 out your way ?
http://www.w7jhs.com/wst_page9.html

Hi Paul,

Yes this is an extensive list of the fellows in the west. Only about 20 of them are regularly on AM. The rest, once in a while.

Look for you aqain soon on 75M.

Steve. Yup. Lesson learned. Take some food to the shop for just such an emergency.

Cheers

Paul

Women. Ya can't live with them......pass the beer nuts!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015