The AM Forum
April 27, 2024, 06:00:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: COULPLING CAP FOR HEISING  (Read 13990 times)
AB2EZ

"Season's Greetings" looks okay to me...

« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2006, 11:21:10 AM »

Hi!

This thread is very interesting... and timely for me. I am putting together a modified Heising modulation "adapter" for my Ranger. It will plug into the 9-pin socket on the back of the Ranger.

I downloaded the reference text on Heising modulation that Ian provided a pointer to:

http://www.pmillett.com/Books/Lee_1955_Electronic_Transformers_and_Circuits.pdf

... and printed out Chapter 6 section 80 (pp. 192-198).  I think it makes good reading!

I am planning on using a 20H choke in my Ranger modulation adapter... which means that the impedance of the choke equals the plate resistance of the 6146 (~600 volts / 120 ma = 5000 ohms) at a frequency of approximately 40 Hz.

I am going to start with 2.5 uF of capacitance (four 10 uF 450 volt capacitors in series, with a 100 kohm "equalizing" resistor across each capacitor)... which is about 5x too large for achieving the desired resonant effect that is described in the reference text. I plan to try 0.5 uF as well.

It will be interesting to see how the modulation performance (both measured frequency response, and on-air reports) changes when I switch back and forth between the standard (non-Heising) configuration and the modified Heising configuration... and also when I switch between the 2.5 uF capacitor and a 0.5 uF capacitor.

I'll report back in a few weeks (I'm waiting for the back-ordered choke... which, hopefully will arrive by then).

Best regards
Stu

Stewart ("Stu") Personick. Pictured: (from The New Yorker) "Season's Greetings" looks OK to me. Let's run it by the legal department
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2006, 04:17:58 PM »

When is you on the air bro Steve??
Are you in a Summertime mode? Or is it the wonderful propagation and static?

Fred

Fred KC4MOP
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2006, 12:11:32 PM »

Mostly weekends, but not much lately with the static and the FB WX.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015