The AM Forum
May 07, 2024, 05:15:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: XP office  (Read 4963 times)
WA1GFZ

« on: November 28, 2005, 03:21:35 PM »

I've been working on a big report and I am the first in my area to get a new computer with XP and word 2003. My boss was doing a review in w2000 wow did we create a knot today. Danger Will Robinson it has been an interesting afternoon recovering with a program manager chomping at the bit for his report.
corn holed by gates again!
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2005, 06:52:15 PM »

I have been using XP for about 3 years now.  It rarely crashes; maybe 3 times since I have  been using it.  Before, I ran Windows 95, and it seemed to crash at least once a day, and I kept getting those little "illegal operation" warnings...( Glad Riley wasn't around back then. ) Grin Grin

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2005, 09:00:08 PM »

My company switched over to Word 2003.  I hate the program.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2005, 09:47:12 PM »

I've been also using XP for a few years and love it but word 2003 sucks. They took out function and added stupid little pictures. Kind  of like a Mc Donalds cash register.
My computer crapped out at work over the summer so was first in line for a new one dual 2.8 GHz processors. It kicks butt but word sucks. The rest of the guys I work with still have office 2000. I think the older one is much better.
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2005, 04:38:58 AM »

I like Office 2000 better too.  I have it at home.  I find it to be less playschoolish than 2003 and it operates different.  I don't know if I'm more pissed that they put on this lousy program instead of leaving 2000 or because they screwed up all my settings in my computer when "upgraded" company assets.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
Rob K2CU
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2005, 06:53:01 AM »

Just put a copy of 2000 on your H drive and screw CSC.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2005, 08:40:21 AM »

Rob,
I put it on a CD and threw it on out R&S rX computer. Might throw it on my d drive and use it. I'm sure big brother will catch me though. fc
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2005, 04:42:44 PM »

Mine is Word 2002 SP3.  It is pretty much the same as the old Word 97 I used on Windows 95, but it looks nicer, runs smoother and has a few extra features that I like.  Looks like I might have lucked out and got the last "good" version of Word.

It came in a package of 5 CD's entitled Works Suite 2003.  Everything in it is dated 2003 except for Streets & Trips 2002 and Word 2002.  It contains Micro$oft Works 7.0

I got the package thrown in for something like $50 extra when I bought the computer.  Word is about the only thing I use regularly.

I also used Corel WordPerfect on the old computer, and still have a lot of WordPerfect documents.  Word 2003 reads them just fine, and I can edit them and save them as Word documents.

Like Windows XP, the box this package comes in has a product key attached, and a warning notice that some components of the software may have to be reactivated upon certain reinstallations.  I wonder what will happen when Micro$oft eventually quits supporting the product, if you will still be able to get it to work if you move it to a new computer or reconfigure the old one, or if you will be SOL.  I believe they have quit supporting Windows 95, and they were threatening to quit supporting Windows 98 in the near future, but those did not have the activation feature.  So if they want to force everyone to buy the latest product all they have to  do is to quit supporting the old one and refuse to  reactivite it.  They defend their actions by stating that you do not "own" the software package, but that you merely purchased a "licence" to use software that they retain exclusive  ownership of.

My kid's old Windows 98 machine crashed, and he had lost the original operating system CD.  I ordered a new "restore CD" from M$ for $15, but never could get it to work because the product key on the new CD  didn't match what was already installed in the computer.  I tried calling the M$ phone number for technical assistace several times, but gave up because I never could get through to talk to a real person.  Just junked the old computer and it is now in a mini-storage with some other junk we didn't have room for in the house. It's so out of date now it's not worth wasting time tinkering with in any case.

It's like when a three years old $5000 ricebox craps out and you find that the critical IC chip that needs replacing is no longer available.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2005, 05:32:59 PM »

Just put a copy of 2000 on your H drive and screw CSC.

Is CSC that common in the corporate world? How did you know?  Actually it might be better for me to run it off a memory stick and they might not even know.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
John Holotko

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2005, 08:17:59 PM »

Well, at home I dumped Micrsoft products in the mid 1990's and I don;t miss em one bit  I run Solaris, Linux and Mac and I get along fine. I keep a couple dual boot machines available that can be booted into Windows in the rare event anyone should require Windows.

I will admit XP is more stable than earlier Win versions.  The worst was Windows ME, the most unstable crap operating system  that ever lived.

N2IZE<br /><br />Because infinity comes in different sizes.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015