The AM Forum
May 07, 2024, 01:18:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rack Panel Heights  (Read 7443 times)
W1RKW
Contributing

« on: November 26, 2005, 01:37:24 PM »

What are the standard sizes in inches for rack panel heights?  I know they are typically shown in U units what does this equate in inches?  I think I may have messed up on my rack panel dimensions.  Also, what are the  hole spacings on rack panels, I need to drill the holes so they line up properly when I install the HB rack mount equipment.  TNX

Bob

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
k3zrf

« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2005, 02:16:30 PM »

1 rack space (RS) = 1.75", two RS = 3.5", etc.

dave/zrf
A closed mouth gathers no foot
Joe Long
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2005, 05:27:44 PM »

Yo. I think Brent-W1IA has all the dimentions for rack panels. JOE
W1IA

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2005, 07:41:09 PM »

What are the standard sizes in inches for rack panel heights?  I know they are typically shown in U units what does this equate in inches?  I think I may have messed up on my rack panel dimensions.  Also, what are the  hole spacings on rack panels, I need to drill the holes so they line up properly when I install the HB rack mount equipment.  TNX

Bob

Rack holes vary depending on total height....whats the height?

Brent

Run What Ya Brung!
KL7OF

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2005, 09:57:53 PM »

Some of the handbooks have the info on  standard rack panel sizes and hole spacings.I can't remember which but my guess is Editors and engineers
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2005, 10:40:27 PM »

The panels I had cut are all 10 inches hiigh just short of being a 6U height so I need to determine what hole spacing I need to do so things line up.  But then again maybe I can just wing it and not worry about it.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
kc2ifr
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2005, 07:32:25 AM »

Check out this page......scroll down and u will see 2 examples of rack hole spacing. The standard hole spacing for 1 rack unit is 1.25 inches..
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/pe2650/multlang/0X318/0X318.pdf

Go to this page and pick the panel u want and u will see the hole spacing on the panel itself.
http://www.budind.com/view.php?part=ch-rm
WA1GFZ

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2005, 01:03:00 PM »

Take a rack and lay the panel against it the holes don't matter as long as there is a place behind them to accept a screw. You will see the sequence of spaging in the rack. light panel may only need 4 holes while a heavy one may need more. I'v seen 10 inch panels with 4, 6 and 8 holes. R390 is about 10 inches look at that spacing.
Bacon, WA3WDR

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2005, 01:22:24 PM »

Yeah, it would have been nice if rack mounting screw spacings had been designed to be equal-distanced, like the equal-tempered scale or something.  But it looks like they didn't think of that when they made the panel specs, and as a result the screw-hole spacing is uneven.

It's just enough to fool you.  At first glance, the mounting holes look even.  But when you examine the holes more closely, it looks like someone was really careless with the drill.  That's when you discover that you can only mount stuff in certain positions.

I had one big heavy panel that had holes that didn't match anything at all!  Of course it would be a heavy panel, so I got to huff it all around until I concluded that its holes just didn't work.  grrrrr

Truth can be stranger than fiction.  But fiction can be pretty strange, too!
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2005, 05:31:47 PM »

Thanks for the input guys.  I'm going to wing it and just make things fit.  If the patterns don't match each panel so be it.  As long as they stack and fit in the rack the way I want them then that'll have to do.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
wb1aij
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2005, 03:25:35 PM »

Also, what are the  hole spacings on rack panels, I need to drill the holes so they line up properly when I install the HB rack mount equipment.  TNX

Bob
The hole spacings are as follows:

Each "U" or unit is 1.75" Picture an angle iron 1.75 " long; there will be a hole 1/4 inch from each end and one in the middle or 7/8' from either end. This pattern repeats as if you stacked these single units end to end. This is the industry standard used by AMCO and other manufactures of 19" wide rack cabinets. Each panel HAS to be a multiple of 1.75 inches so that the repeating hole pattern will line up with the holes in the panels.
Ed/KB1HYS
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2005, 04:59:56 PM »

WA1GFZ said: Take a rack and lay the panel against it the holes don't matter as long as there is a place behind them to accept a screw. You will see the sequence of spaging in the rack. light panel may only need 4 holes while a heavy one may need more. I'v seen 10 inch panels with 4, 6 and 8 holes. R390 is about 10 inches look at that spacing.

Heavy items usually have rails that they rest on.
I don't think you meant that you would support an R-390 by the front panel alone?? Shocked

73 de Ed/KB1HYS
Happiness is Hot Tubes, Cold 807's, and warm room filling AM Sound.
 "I've spent three quarters of my life trying to figure out how to do a $50 job for $.50, the rest I spent trying to come up with the $0.50" - D. Gingery
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2005, 05:16:42 PM »

Yes, the mod deck is going to have its own dedicated set of rails.  There's no way that the front panel alone will support the chassis.  The PS will be built into the bottom of the rack.  All other equipment should be able to be supported by the front panel.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2005, 05:26:04 PM »

Each "U" or unit is 1.75" Picture an angle iron 1.75 " long; there will be a hole 1/4 inch from each end and one in the middle or 7/8' from either end. This pattern repeats as if you stacked these single units end to end. This is the industry standard used by AMCO and other manufactures of 19" wide rack cabinets. Each panel HAS to be a multiple of 1.75 inches so that the repeating hole pattern will line up with the holes in the panels.

Being a male and being graphically oriented only has it's problems. Bare with me a minute here so I understand.  Are the hole placements for a single U (unit)  1/4 inch from the outside edge going inward and the 7/8" measurement from the ends (top and bottom) if the angle iron is oriented vertically ?  I think I understand?  Thanks

Bob

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
wb1aij
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2005, 12:50:26 PM »

Being a male and being graphically oriented only has it's problems. Bare with me a minute here so I understand.  Are the hole placements for a single U (unit)  1/4 inch from the outside edge going inward and the 7/8" measurement from the ends (top and bottom) if the angle iron is oriented vertically ?  I think I understand?  Thanks

Bob
No, I didn't explain it very well so here it is again:  Picture the vertical support rail; the center of  the first hole is 1/4" down from the top edge of the rail, the next hole center is 7/8" from the top or 5/8" from the first hole & the 3rd hole center is @ 1-1/2" from the top or 5/8" from the second hole. That comprises 1 unit. This pattern will repeat for each additional 1.75" unit that you add as if you were stacking individual single unit rails. The 4th hole will be at 2". If you sketch it on paper you can see it better. I have some small pieces of this stuff and would be happy to send you one if that would help.

Bob Tomlin
WB1AIJ
East Hartford, Ct.

W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2005, 04:39:04 AM »

Bob, No need to send anything.  I think got the dimensioning now.  Thanks for your help.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015