The AM Forum
May 07, 2024, 06:43:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: AWA Freq / Times? CAUTION>>>>  (Read 4288 times)
Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« on: November 25, 2005, 11:11:38 PM »

Can someone tell me the times and frequencies for the AWA “contest” the next several weekends?

Thanks and see you then

KPD

Carl

"Okay, gang are you ready to play radio? Are you ready to shuffle off the mortal coil of mediocrity? I am if you are." Shepherd
W1UX
Contributing

When ya see a fork in the road, TAKE IT!

« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2005, 12:45:41 AM »

Why is it called the American WIRELESS Ass'n when the schstuff needs so many WIRES?

Al "Al" (Al)  W1UX..... over, OVER!!! anyone OUT THERE? hi hi ha ha hee hee ho ho haw haw DAMMIT! Where'd that FLY come from?!?!?
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2005, 01:30:47 AM »

But they need to be antique wires, thus the name, Antique Wireless Association.
Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2005, 12:59:13 PM »

To those of you who were planning to join the AWA CW contest over the next two weekends be aware that it is a members only event. I just learned so today. Be careful not to intrude and work someone.(see emails below)

I will be testing out my new Hartley and look forward to anyone else (Member or not) who want to communicate with Old Time rigs.I will try not to intrude upon their contest frequencies

This is in no way a shot at Marc who was kind enough to point out the rules to me.

As a former (for no particular reason) member who has attended the Rochester meet I have listened to the complaints about AWA over the last few years and not thought much about them one way or the other. But I now do see why people complain that they act as an exclusive group.

Yes, I know I could join again and play in the sandbox the next two weekends, but to be honest I'm not sure I care to anymore.

Sent: Saturday, November 26, 2005 12:11 PM
To: 'antiquewirelessassociation@yahoogroups.com'
Subject: RE: [AWA] Contest

Marc,

In all sincerity, thank you for the clarification as well as the others who were kind enough to fully respond to my question. There certainly were some rather unhelpful initial responses.

I will continue to finish my HB Hartley this weekend but will make sure (as a former member) that I abide by the AWA rules and endeavor not to intrude on the frequencies and work any of the AWA members.

That being said I will be on the air next weekend and perhaps some of the other non- AWA members might like to pick a frequency to exercise our OT equipment?

Carl
WA1KPD
Visit My Boatanchor Collection at http://home.comcast.net/~chnord/wa1kpd.html

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From: antiquewirelessassociation@yahoogroups.com [mailto:antiquewirelessassociation@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of MARC ELLIS
Sent: Saturday, November 26, 2005 11:53 AM
To: antiquewirelessassociation@yahoogroups.com
Subject: RE: [AWA] Contest

Hello all--

I've seen the recent queries posted about the AWA  1929 QSO party.

I guess I should jump in and try to clear this up, though I have no official connection with the AWA ham contests.

Our new AM QSO party, being chaired by Gary Carter, is the only one open to all hams. The other contests, including the 1929 QSO party, are open to members only.

The only reason you will find the dates of the QSO party on our web site is that we had to correct the wrong dates that were accidentally sent to the Journal and printed there. Frequencies, times, scoring info, etc are in the Journal but never posted on the site for obvious reasons.

Logs are sent out by contest chairman John Rollins only to previous participants  or members who are newly applying for them.

Friends, this is a public service announcement only. I definitely don't want to get involved in discussions about the right or wrong of this, nor would it be appropriate for me to do so. Suffice it to say that John and the AWA have very good reasons for restricting the contest , though I can also see the other side of the questrion.

Marc Ellis, N9EWJ
Editor, The AWA Journal

Carl

"Okay, gang are you ready to play radio? Are you ready to shuffle off the mortal coil of mediocrity? I am if you are." Shepherd
WA3VJB
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2005, 11:29:26 AM »

Once upon a time it was a way to preserve for dues-paying members the money spent on awards and processing.
Today, they lose a huge recruitment opportunity by restricting an event to members only.
Yet, for a CW event they can still "afford" to do so, since there isn't as much competition for clear spots on the dial as there would be for an AM event.

And, I don't guess there's much growth in the CW demographic.

W1UJR
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2005, 05:22:29 PM »

Once upon a time it was a way to preserve for dues-paying members the money spent on awards and processing.
Today, they lose a huge recruitment opportunity by restricting an event to members only.
Yet, for a CW event they can still "afford" to do so, since there isn't as much competition for clear spots on the dial as there would be for an AM event.

And, I don't guess there's much growth in the CW demographic.

Good point Paul, but the AWA AM Contest IS open all, member or not.
It was a huge success last year and I look forward to it again this year.

I'm not quite sure that I fully understanding the reasoning which keeps the AWA CW contest closed, but perhaps it may because of the nature of equipment and low power levels used. For reasons discussed in an earlier post, we don't need the QRO contest folks coming in.

AWA is a great organization, publishes a wonderful mag bi-monthly, and I delighted to partisipate.

73 Bruce
Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2005, 08:21:08 PM »

Hi Bruce

Look at the history of this thread. This entire thing got of to a bad start when I innocently asked the question about times and frequencies and was emailed two non-answers by a “prominent” member of the organization. One of these told me to read the OTB for details – in that many words-. Clearly if I had OTB I would not have asked. I mean if you do not want to tell me the information then why reply with a silly response?

Marc (in his official capacity) was good enough to articulate the policy and I agree it is certainly within the organizations prerogative  to set the rules. I was taken back by both the approach and policy that discouraged other individuals interested in Old Time Radios simply because they are not AWA members. And that position bothered me enough to share it. If there feelings are that only members could play on those frequencies those two wekends then I was doing AWA the "favor" of sharing the information.

The contest is one of the few times that all these neat old rigs can be used without explaining to the new person with the Iyaewood 4000XL why the signal chirps and whoops. As you know, I certainly enjoy building the equipment as well as hearing the band full of those neat sounding signals. Since then others have been good enough to come forward to point out that the policy really means that only those stations worked who are AWA members count towards “winning’. Fair enough.

Ok what is my point? Since first posting this I am glad to learn that the contacts are open to all. However I remain disappointed that the official position seems to discourage non-members. It is in line with what I have heard, but not previously experienced, with this organization.

I would think participation by all interested parties would be encouraged by the leadership of a group that is dedicated to preserving the history of radios. the hobby needs to do all it can to attract and retain interested parties.

I have not been part of the ongoing debate on AWA exclusivity and I have been a member in the past. I let my membership go because ER provided more focus on the elements of the hobby I really like. I have stood on the sidelines and listened to others complain about the way AWA is run but frankly did not have a strong feeling about it. Now I feel I have run in to it head first.

Gone way over my $.02 worth and will now return to our regularly scheduled program

Carl

W1UJR
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2005, 09:38:58 PM »

Hi Bruce

Look at the history of this thread. This entire thing got of to a bad start when I innocently asked the question about times and frequencies and was emailed two non-answers by a “prominent” member of the organization. One of these told me to read the OTB for details – in that many words-. Clearly if I had OTB I would not have asked. I mean if you do not want to tell me the information then why reply with a silly response?

Marc (in his official capacity) was good enough to articulate the policy and I agree it is certainly within the organizations prerogative  to set the rules. I was taken back by both the approach and policy that discouraged other individuals interested in Old Time Radios simply because they are not AWA members. And that position bothered me enough to share it. If there feelings are that only members could play on those frequencies those two wekends then I was doing AWA the "favor" of sharing the information.

Marc is a gentleman, and will hopefully bring a bit of sanity to the association. I have been a AWA member for several years and have always enjoyed the group, but like you have been puzzled by the "members only" policy. If you have read the recent OTB you know that membership is somewhat on the decline, would seem to me that common sense would say to make the outreach more inclusive.

I remain puzzled why the AWA Conference is members only, and while I can somewhat understand the nature of keeping the contests so, it may be time to revisit that decision. I like AWA and what it stands for a great deal, and unlike ARRL they, AWA, both respect and honor the history of radio.

And I agree with you that the tone of those emails was written in very poor taste, thankfully one idot does not not an organization make!  Grin

Just recived my copy of "Burt Wilson, Wireless Operator" in the mail, will enjoy that tonight.

Gud luck on the 3KO station, I stayed off that when I saw your call.

73 Bruce
Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2005, 09:59:25 PM »

Bruce
If you want the 3K0 station go for it. I have folded my hand on it!

Carl

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015