The AM Forum
April 28, 2024, 06:24:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Injury time to heel question  (Read 9334 times)
W1RKW
Contributing

« on: November 06, 2005, 08:12:37 AM »

Anyone ever dislocate a finger or some other joint?  I managed to dislocate a finger yesterday.  What painful injury. Managed to get the wedding band off before swelling set in. That in itself was a painful. And then there was resetting the joint.  Anyway just wondering how long it takes to heel?  Doctor says a couple of months before everything is back to normal.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2005, 09:34:20 AM »

Never had it happen so far Bob. Sorry to hear.

I've often wondered about how painful that is and figgered it was.

Ever see those bogus movie scenes where a guy dislocates his shoulder and then someone grabs him and snaps it back in? Then the guy acts like he's back to normal and goes on like nothing happened... Roll Eyes   I always figgered in the real whirl he'd be on the ground screaming before and after...

BTW, how did you do it?
T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2005, 09:51:45 AM »

Tom said:
Ever see those bogus movie scenes where a guy dislocates his shoulder and then someone grabs him and snaps it back in? Then the guy acts like he's back to normal and goes on like nothing happened...    I always figgered in the real whirl he'd be on the ground screaming before and after...

Ever watch an NFL football game? What they do on the sidelines to injured players wouldn't been dreamed of doing in an ER about 30 years ago, and then, you will see the guy go trotting back onto the field. Sports Medicine: Its all about the $$$$$$.

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2005, 12:22:14 PM »

Tom,

I've been building a stone wall over the last couple of months and moving rocks here and there.  I have a couple of big rocks that I've been making into small rocks for the wall.  I have this one rock that is probably 600 or so pounds I managed to break off several pieces so it would be useable and moveable.  After getting it to the point where I could move it with my own muscle and no tools, I wanted to flip it over because it had a nice flat side to it.  I grabbed onto it while wearing gloves.  I guess the glove I was wearing bunched up underneath my wedding ring and the edge of the ring and glove was "hooked" to the edge of this rock where I was grabbing onto.  Not feeling anything unusual I gave a good hard yank on the rock and that's when it happened. I think the ring being hooked to the edge of the rock caused the ring to twist the joint on that finger. It happened so fast I'm only guessing at this point. The pain was sudden like a lightning bolt.  It felt as if a rock had actually landed on my hand. It brought tears to my eyes so fast.  I've broken bones and sprained joints as a teen without to much agony but this was painful compared to previous injuries. Maybe being 25  or so years older has something to do with the intensity, I don't know.  I don't wish this on anyone.  And typing is a PITA.

My  younger brother knocked his shoulder out this summer in a diving accident.  It popped in by itself but he wasn't back to normal like in the movies.  He's still in pain from it today.  Several days after the accident his shoulder turned black and blue like gangreen was setting in.  Pretty gross looking.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2005, 02:23:01 PM »

Wedding rings.... probably safer to put one through your nose....They alsocan  lead to divorce..
      I (almost) always take my ring off when working with machinery, the radios stuff etc.  I had a friend who worked for a sign company. He was working on  billboard located a few feet off the ground. He wasn't using a ladder as it was only 'boute 3 feet  off the ground. He held the end of the sign for balance and then jumped off onto the ground. Located on the sign was a nail.  When he jumped, the nail head caught his wedding ring, and he left the ring finger behind......   klc

What? Me worry?
Bacon, WA3WDR

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2005, 11:20:48 PM »

I went bowling a few years back, and I hadn't bowled in many years.  Anyway, I got off on the wrong foot, and almost fell on my ass as the 16 pound ball swung out of control while I tried to let it go.  Mildly amusing, but afterwards I noticed that my hand hurt.  I played on, but the hand hurt.  Of course I was macho, because when I got my footing right, I was throwing the ball with everything I had, and making spares and strikes like crazy.  Buuuuttt, I really tore up that hand.  I don't remember exactly, but it took about six to eight months for it to be back to normal.

Truth can be stranger than fiction.  But fiction can be pretty strange, too!
WA1GFZ

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2005, 11:53:53 AM »

I was giving my sister a piggy back ride about 40 years ago and she fell off and knocked her shoulder out. They popped it back in at the emergency room but it still bothers her today when she strains it. My brother and I used to get down on all fours and race with a sister in toe.
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2005, 03:03:26 PM »

I got to thinking about some of my injuries when in my teens and early twenties.  I had an incident where I severely sprained an ankle from playing hockey.  My skate got wedged in a crack. It stopped me dead and spun my body around but not my foot.  That accident practically ripped my foot off.  It was black and blue for a month or so.  Had to have blood drained out once cause the swelling was so bad.  It took nearly 4 years for it to get back to the point where I felt no pain. Doctor felt I didn't need surgery. Though I wonder about that sometimes.  To this day the ankle still isn't right.  I can no longer skate because the ankle won't support me properly when I'm on blades.

Doing a bar chord is a bitch.  Won't be playin the ax for awhile it looks like too. Bummer.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
John Holotko

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2005, 03:36:33 PM »

Never had it happen so far Bob. Sorry to hear.

I've often wondered about how painful that is and figgered it was.

Ever see those bogus movie scenes where a guy dislocates his shoulder and then someone grabs him and snaps it back in? Then the guy acts like he's back to normal and goes on like nothing happened... Roll Eyes   I always figgered in the real whirl he'd be on the ground screaming before and after...

BTW, how did you do it?
T
Yeah, TV and the movies make everything seem so easy Smiley   A few years ago I got a bad knee sprain. The pain was so sudden and so severe I blacked out for a few seconds. After sitting down for about 15 minu7tes I was able to walk on it without too much difficulty, For a little while that is. It lasted just long enough for me to get home. Then it started getting so swollen and so stiff and painful I had to find a tree branch to use as a cane to hobble home with.  I got home and lay down on the floor to watch TV. Getting upstairs to the bedroom was agony. For the next two weeks I was unable to walk without a cane. And even with the cane just barely. To this date  that knee still  bothers me with stiffness from time to time.

My father dislocated his finger once. It was extremely  painful. They reset it and it took about two to three months to heel. Even nowadays that finger is not perfectly straight.

N2IZE<br /><br />Because infinity comes in different sizes.
John Holotko

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2005, 03:42:55 PM »

Wedding rings.... probably safer to put one through your nose....They alsocan  lead to divorce..
      I (almost) always take my ring off when working with machinery, the radios stuff etc.  I had a friend who worked for a sign company. He was working on  billboard located a few feet off the ground. He wasn't using a ladder as it was only 'boute 3 feet  off the ground. He held the end of the sign for balance and then jumped off onto the ground. Located on the sign was a nail.  When he jumped, the nail head caught his wedding ring, and he left the ring finger behind......   klc

Uggghhh,, That is horrible. Were they able to re-attach the finger ??

I am not a big fan of jewelry, especially when working. Chains, rings, pins given to me as gifts I hardly ever wear.  My girlfriend is into jewelry. She has her ears pierce for  earrings, her nose pierced to accomodate a nose ring and even ythis ring-thing she sometimes wears on her tongue.  While I admit it does look kind of cool onn her I don;t understand how she can stand to get all those piercings and wear that stuff.  it would bother me to have a hole drilled into my skin to accomodate a piece of jewelry. Ah, to each their own I suppose.

KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2005, 08:22:48 PM »

....No they had a problem finding it in the grass/junk alongside the road. "dick" wasn't thinking to clearly after the accident and left the member there.This happened in the early 70's where tih type of surgery wasn't performed as universally as it is now. This coupled with looking /finding the finger, didn't help things. One doesn't really notice it ....there is a stump up to the knuckle- kinda like a thumb was trying to grow there...

the tongue thing..... as long as the metal doesnt chip the teeth or erode the roof of the mouth or bleed (if u have a heart murmer you better see a doc before the tongue gets pierced) things are ok. My wife is a dental hygenist and calls most of the hardware in the face,cheek,lips and the tongue "job security". There is a suprising amount of oral pathology not related to brushing - your dentist can tell a lot about someone when they open their mouth... like sexual practices.....drug use.... psychological disorders......      klc

What? Me worry?
John Holotko

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2005, 06:32:58 PM »

....No they had a problem finding it in the grass/junk alongside the road. "dick" wasn't thinking to clearly after the accident and left the member there.This happened in the early 70's where tih type of surgery wasn't performed as universally as it is now. This coupled with looking /finding the finger, didn't help things. One doesn't really notice it ....there is a stump up to the knuckle- kinda like a thumb was trying to grow there...

Wow, sorry  to hear about that. That kind of injury gives me the creeps.

the tongue thing..... as long as the metal doesnt chip the teeth or erode the roof of the mouth or bleed (if u have a heart murmer you better see a doc before the tongue gets pierced) things are ok. My wife is a dental hygenist and calls most of the hardware in the face,cheek,lips and the tongue "job security". There is a suprising amount of oral pathology not related to brushing - your dentist can tell a lot about someone when they open their mouth... like sexual practices.....drug use.... psychological disorders......      klc

Wow !! if that is the case  my dentist must have my folder stamped "Class A Degenerate" in bold red ink !!! Hi Hi.

In addition to the pierced nose and pierced tongue my girl friend also has a couple of small permanent tattoos. Again, they do look kinda cute on her  but, for myself, I also avoid tatoos as well. never got one and don;t want one.

Just curious, what is the connection between tongue piercings and heart murmers ?? Does it have to do with the potential for bacteria, infections  and possible adverse effect on the heart ?? Or, is there some other risk I am not aware of. ?

KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2005, 09:52:24 PM »

Yes, it do. The wife is sleeping and i/m to lazy to get the data & rest of the story... I'm not a docktor, so I dont want to give out advice.......... The bacteria in the mouth can cross into the blood stream quite easily in the mouth. It can screw up the heart valves especially.. I don't know why... people with known heart problems are requested to premedicate before they get their teeth cleaned...
     Degenerate??  maybee.... only your hairdresser knows for sure....   Belamics( cant spell-- the people who throw up to loose weight) have the inside surface of the teeth  melt away... the HCl (tummy acid) do it...  the sex stuff - well, if you want to know -  pm me - i dont know if this is the proper forum, but as they say in Maine what the hell.....  klc

What? Me worry?
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2005, 03:46:42 PM »

It's been almost 2 weeks since nearly ripping my finger off.  And I have to say things are looking pretty good.  Swelling is gone.  No black and blue.  Stiffness is going away.  Still have some difficulty when it comes to making a fist.  I didn't think I'd be able to play guitar for awhile and I think forcing myself to do so has actually helped. Good physical therapy.  Bar chords are still a little hard but things are looking good otherwise. Lifting heavy things still causes some pain.  Maybe another two to three weeks and all should be nearly normal. 

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
W2JBL

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2005, 12:42:56 AM »

you need to lose those paddy white bar chords, injured or not. you ain't never gonna play the the REAL blues using them. start using you left thumb on the lower strings. that will free up an extra finger to do all sorts of good things on the fretboard. get your whole hand around the neck and get GRIP. mojo tone starts when you ditch the slinky skinny strings and get some grip on the situation.  god damn sprains are the f'ing worst. having been screwed up with two sprained ankles and a fractured leg over the last year and a half i gotta say that even though i'm not 18 anymore, and broken bones take a few weeks longer to heal, my poor ankles (one severly injured in ' 96) are never going to be the same. fingers allways seem to heal up well with me though. guess it's 'cause they don't have to carry any weight.
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2005, 04:38:34 AM »

you need to lose those paddy white bar chords, injured or not. you ain't never gonna play the the REAL blues using them. start using you left thumb on the lower strings. that will free up an extra finger to do all sorts of good things on the fretboard. get your whole hand around the neck and get GRIP. mojo tone starts when you ditch the slinky skinny strings and get some grip on the situation.  god damn sprains are the f'ing worst. having been screwed up with two sprained ankles and a fractured leg over the last year and a half i gotta say that even though i'm not 18 anymore, and broken bones take a few weeks longer to heal, my poor ankles (one severly injured in ' 96) are never going to be the same. fingers allways seem to heal up well with me though. guess it's 'cause they don't have to carry any weight.

Thumb's used a lot as well as that little finger on the other side.  I use a D major bar chord for testing string tune.  The first time I tried it since screwing up the finger I fingered I could do it.  Nope not just yet.

Yep, concure on the ankel.  I tore up an ankle as a teen and 25 years later it still is not the same.  I can't carry any weight with the finger right now.   I hope the pain does cease soon as I have a pile of fill I need to move with a wheel barraw and would like to get it done before things start freezing up.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015