The AM Forum
April 25, 2024, 04:16:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sorbothane as BA silencer?  (Read 7662 times)
K6JEK
Contributing

RF in the shack

« on: November 09, 2005, 07:47:09 PM »

One of my favorite transmitters is a CE 100V.  But the darn thing with its big humming transformer and 45 year old, hard as rocks rubber feet uses my desk as a sounding board.  My finiky friends complain about hum which is plain old acoustic noise, transmitter to desk, to microphone. It's driving me crazy too.   Isolating the microphone helped but still it makes a racket. 

So I've been thinking of putting something under the old gray box to isolate it from the desk.  Our audio afficianados use Sorbothane hemispheres to isolate audio components (insert sarcastic comment here).  Maybe these would help.

Do any of you know anything about these?  Is there somewhere to get them for less than $10 each?

Jon
ve6pg

« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2005, 03:35:24 PM »

...YOU KNOW THIS ANSWER HAS TO COME FROM A CANUCK....
...SPONGE RUBBER PUCKS ARE THE ANSWER..SAME SIZE AS A REGULAR PUCK,BUT HARD ENOUGH TO HURT,WHEN BLOCKING A SHOT...I GUESS MY AMERICAN FRIENDS WOULD CALL IT A "HOCKEY PUCK",BUT WE KNOW IT AS A "PUCK"..BENDABLE,AND SOFT,THESE BABIES ARE AN EXCELLANT ANSWER..TIM..SK..

...Yes, my name is Tim Smith...sk..
K6JEK
Contributing

RF in the shack

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2005, 07:43:16 PM »

This sounds like an excellent idea.  I'm off to the sporting goods store.  It will be interesting to see if I find any in California.

Thanks,

Jon
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2005, 09:51:30 PM »

there are lots of sporting goods stores in Calif......  klc

What? Me worry?
VE7 Kilohertz

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2005, 01:55:32 AM »

Hi Jon,

What a blast from the past. I used to be in "that" business. It's been 15 years since I have heard the word SORBOTHANE. Ya, we have the sponge rubber pucks here that would work but you may also try some high density foam, about 2" thick.

Good luck.

Paul
VE7KHz

Women. Ya can't live with them......pass the beer nuts!
AB3L
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2005, 07:35:39 AM »

Spongy foam packing from a computer box might do it. You might find one blowing around the neighborhood on garbage day.
This stuff is the "squeezie" foam used recently in shipping, not the hard cast foam from a few years ago.
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2005, 09:24:41 AM »

I had a CE100V and it didn't hum at all.  Perhaps you need to tighten up the xformer bolts, mounting points, and align the cabinet so it doesn't vibrate.  Something's resonating and/or loose or it wouldn't transfer the vibration to the cabinet enough for it to be heard in a microphone.

73 John

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
WA1HZK

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2005, 09:26:54 AM »

I used a stack of work area static pads that fit under my Johnson 500's Power Supply Modulator. I bought them at the local surplus place. Those and a pad under the mic. stand finally killed the noise.
Keith

AM is Not A Hobby - It's a "Way of Life"!
Timmy, Sometime in 2007 on a Mountain Far Away..
www.criticalradio.com
www.criticalbattery.com
www.criticaltowers.com
www.criticalresponder.com
Official Registered "Old Buzzard"
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2005, 12:35:07 PM »

I once picked up some rubber shock mounts from a surplus outfit in Florida (Marlin Electronics or something like that - never get their catalogue any more, so don't know if they are still in business).  They are like miniature versions of the motor mounts that go under a car engine.  These are little rubber cylinders with a threaded stud sticking out of each end.  I have some small ones, about 5/8" in diameter with 8-32 threaded studs, and some larger ones, about 1 1/4" in diameter, with standard 1/4" threaded studs.

I had a problem with the plate transformer in the Gates BC1-T doing the same thing.  Remounted it using a set of the larger shockmounts, and it completely cured the problem.  Better still, the threaded studs were the same as the original mounting screws, so I was able to use the original screw holes and mounting hardware.  That completely cured the problem.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2005, 06:32:03 PM »

Does the CE100V have a 600 ohm inpoot? Perhaps a 600 ohm to 600 ohm isolation transformer would attenuate the 60hz hum? Just a thought.......

Regards,
          Joe Cro N3IBX

Joe Cro N3IBX

Anything that is Breadboarded,Black Crackle, or that squeals when you tune it gives me MAJOR WOOD!
KL7OF

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2005, 07:04:10 PM »

There are shock mounts called Lord mounts... The small ones (#8 to #10 studs) are used to isolate instruments etc in aircraft panels... They are available in many sizes up to 5/8" studs (maybe larger)and are basically a rubber cylinder with a threaded stud sticking out each end...... available from aircraft outfits like Wag-Aero,  Univair, Chief aircraft, Aircraft Spruce and specialty etc.... You can google for these guys.....I do however agree with JN that tightening up the transformer mounts and cabinet mounts is the first thing to check..Good Luck,,,,,Steve
K6JEK
Contributing

RF in the shack

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2005, 12:02:00 AM »

I'm pursuing the Hockey Puck Solution as Plan A.  But this is California and the hockey puck selection is pretty dismal. The first sporting goods store only had ordinary, normal hockey pucks although for a small premium I could get them with various logos. There were no sponge rubber hockey pucks.  I'm sure I'll find them if I keep looking.

I'll tighten the bolts too and may go for the fancy mounts of some kind as the third idea. 

BTW, Don, nice article in ER on relay sequencing.  Once you look at it, it's so straightforward, but why didn't it occur to me?  (Don't answer that).

Jon
K6IC
Contributing

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2005, 11:55:10 AM »

Hey,  Jon,

Your  hum is not really that bad,  but UR 100 V sounds so good that am sure trhat U wanna make the station perfect.

You might also try Neoprene foam,  as is or once was used in  Wet Suits ... mabe a dive shop / Surfer shop is easier to find here in CA.

OH,  Yea,  and this foam also used in Mouse Pads ... perhaps stack a few thicknesses under the feet of the 100 V ...

73  GL  C U on AM,    DE   Vic  KF6RIP   .  .
K6JEK
Contributing

RF in the shack

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2005, 02:45:33 AM »

Hi Vic,

I've been away from the Silicon Valley QTH for a week so I haven't done a darn thing about the hum.  I went right through Santa Cruz today.  I should have stopped at O'Neils Surf shop looking for the Neoprene.  I could install some .001 caps in the audio path.  That would take care of it too.   Good to hear from you.

Jon
Bacon, WA3WDR

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2005, 01:29:43 AM »

I once picked up some rubber shock mounts from a surplus outfit in Florida (Marlin Electronics or something like that - never get their catalogue any more, so don't know if they are still in business).

Marlin P. Jones & Associates,  www.mpja.com - still in business, they have some good stuff at good prices.

Truth can be stranger than fiction.  But fiction can be pretty strange, too!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015