The AM Forum
May 04, 2024, 05:05:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gifts sent to troops may land them in hot water  (Read 5007 times)
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« on: November 01, 2005, 03:06:18 PM »

Here's another example of the death of common sense.

Individuals and charities must be careful when giving to troops.  Soldiers often are the recipients of gifts, especially when serving overseas or recovering in a hospital.  But many charitable groups — as well as some military personnel — do not realize that service members cannot accept a donation worth more than $20 without approval from higher headquarters.  That means packages sent from church groups or other charities to unknown soldiers serving in Iraq and containing CDs, DVDs, candy and military gear might get the troops in trouble. The rule covers all federal employees — including troops — and their families. The reasoning behind the rule is to deter bribery of government employees.

Bribery rule bans your $20 gifts to soldiers

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2005, 06:00:24 PM »

Don,
      I work for a Quasi-Govermental agency in a Purchasing Function. We can't receive gifts of more than a nominal value ($1) and even then it must have the company logo on it. Pens and calendars are OK, just about everything else is VERBOTEN up to and including vendor lunches!

Joe Cro N3IBX

Anything that is Breadboarded,Black Crackle, or that squeals when you tune it gives me MAJOR WOOD!
Herb K2VH

Pennsylvanian shaking hands with Yankee

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2005, 06:15:10 PM »

Joe,

What if Irb gave you a can of maple syrup?  Would that get you in trouble?  I think somebody should be executed for treason.

K2VHerb
First licensed in 1954 as KN2JVM  
On AM since 1955;on SSB since 1963

"Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar."
--Edward R. Murrow
Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2005, 06:29:16 PM »

Joe,

What if Irb gave you a can of maple syrup?  Would that get you in trouble?  I think somebody should be executed for treason.

Herb,
      That's quite a statement!

Hell, if I'm going to be executed for treason I might as well go after his Desk Killowatt

Joe Cro N3IBX

Anything that is Breadboarded,Black Crackle, or that squeals when you tune it gives me MAJOR WOOD!
W1UJR
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2005, 09:40:19 PM »

Joe,

Herb,

Hell, if I'm going to be executed for treason I might as well go after his Desk Killowatt

Anyone ever seen Irb's much rumored Desk KW?
I hear that brought up often, but have yet to get independent confirmation.
I'm not sure, he is just as loud at his cabin in New Russia as he is front NJ, not likly to have a Desk KW up there.

For what ever reason, be it Jesus or Jefferson, Irb seems to have the Blessed Mother of Propagation on his side.

W1IA

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2005, 10:59:57 AM »

Joe,

Herb,

Anyone ever seen Irb's much rumored Desk KW?
I hear that brought up often, but have yet to get independent confirmation.
I'm not sure, he is just as loud at his cabin in New Russia as he is front NJ, not likly to have a Desk KW up there.

For what ever reason, be it Jesus or Jefferson, Irb seems to have the Blessed Mother of Propagation on his side.

\

Pathetic!!!........his soul purpose in life has been filtered down too the use of Amatuer Radio as a tool for spewing political beliefs. He does not care about you , me or any other operator on frequency. In a way he's like a mini Glen...self-serving blind agenda.

Brent

Run What Ya Brung!
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2005, 04:52:31 PM »

I was under the impression that his Desk KW was up at his place in the Catskills. I haven't been on 75 in so long, I don't even know if he still has his place there.

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2005, 05:14:07 PM »

I was under the impression that his Desk KW was up at his place in the Catskills. I haven't been on 75 in so long, I don't even know if he still has his place there.
Mike(y) - I wuz talking to the Irbmeister and inquired about it. he confirmed that it's up in his place in "New Russia" New Yawk. He told me he ran it until the day they did away with running a KW inpoot on AM, and it developed many problems that have yet to be straightened out.

I think it would be kewl to buy it from him and get it working and use it in the "spirit it was intended"

God Bless George Bush
              "Rummy" and
               Dick Cheney!

Joe Cro N3IBX

W1UJR
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2005, 05:50:11 PM »

Pathetic!!!........his soul purpose in life has been filtered down too the use of Amatuer Radio as a tool for spewing political beliefs. He does not care about you , me or any other operator on frequency. In a way he's like a mini Glen...self-serving blind agenda.

Brent

Brent, but you have to admit OM, there is something supernatural about the way he straps.
I NEVER hear Irb piss-weak, find something odd about that.

I don't agree with all of his political beliefs either, nor the use of the amateur radio service to disemnate such.
But I do find him cordial on the air.

With that said, I have not heard him much as of late.

Now I wonder about the Desk KW rescue, what say you Vortex, up for a visit?
Might be doing a public service.
Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2005, 08:00:23 PM »

[
Now I wonder about the Desk KW rescue, what say you Vortex, up for a visit?
Might be doing a public service.

Bruce - I'm definitely trying!
                                     Joe N3IBX

God Bless George Bush,Jesus,Jefferson and Johnson Deskkillowatts!

Joe Cro N3IBX

Herb K2VH

Pennsylvanian shaking hands with Yankee

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2005, 10:12:03 AM »

Don't forget, he also has a BC-610 in New Jersey.

God bless Mr. Samuelson, the (Hallicrafter's) engineer, Mr. Halligan, the owner of the company, and Julia Butterfly Hill, who is sitting on top of K1BOY's tower.

K2VHerb
First licensed in 1954 as KN2JVM  
On AM since 1955;on SSB since 1963

"Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar."
--Edward R. Murrow
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015