The AM Forum
May 04, 2024, 11:28:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Optical Illusion  (Read 4867 times)
W1RKW
Contributing

« on: October 27, 2005, 04:53:29 PM »

Note to the board moderators: If you think this should be yanked by all means do so.

A friend of mine sent me this because he knows I like optical illusions.  This particular illusion I thought was very different from the rest I've seen in the past.  I don't know if it is actually an illusion or some sort of web trickery. Nonetheless, I found it interesting and thought I'd share it.

If your eyes follow the movement of the rotating pink dot, you will only see one color, pink.

If you stare at the the black + in the center, the moving dot turns to green.

Now, concentrate on the black + in the center of the picture. After a short period of time, all the pink dots will slowly disappear, and you will only see a green dot rotating.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
John Holotko

« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2005, 05:47:21 PM »

Note to the board moderators: If you think this should be yanked by all means do so.

A friend of mine sent me this because he knows I like optical illusions.  This particular illusion I thought was very different from the rest I've seen in the past.  I don't know if it is actually an illusion or some sort of web trickery. Nonetheless, I found it interesting and thought I'd share it.

If your eyes follow the movement of the rotating pink dot, you will only see one color, pink.

If you stare at the the black + in the center, the moving dot turns to green.

Now, concentrate on the black + in the center of the picture. After a short period of time, all the pink dots will slowly disappear, and you will only see a green dot rotating.

Nope, it is definately an illusion. I downloaded the image and dissected it and I could find no frame with a green dot. All the dots are purple so the green one is definately your eyes tricking you.  And the dissapearing dots, same deal there is nothing in the image that I could find that would make any or all of the dots dissapear for any time interval, so apparently the dissapearing act is also a eye-brain illusion too.  Pretty groovy and far out stuff.

N2IZE<br /><br />Because infinity comes in different sizes.
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2005, 06:45:40 PM »

This works on the optic nerve of the eye. I remember reading a Time/Life Science book from 1969 that show an American flag with yellow, lite green and black stars. The idea was to stare at it for a period of time than look at a sheet of white paper. You would see the image of the flag on the paper but only this time it was in the red, white and blue colors. Fooled the brain again! Its neat how the mind works.

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
kc2ifr
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2005, 07:36:01 PM »

I dont give a sh## how it works...its fun!!!!
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2005, 06:23:43 PM »

This works on the optic nerve of the eye. I remember reading a Time/Life Science book from 1969 that show an American flag with yellow, lite green and black stars. The idea was to stare at it for a period of time than look at a sheet of white paper. You would see the image of the flag on the paper but only this time it was in the red, white and blue colors. Fooled the brain again! Its neat how the mind works.

I recently saw the same thing on some web site, except the flag was a Union Jack. 

Notice the circle with the pink dots, if you look away from them even after looking at it for only a second or so, you see a circular pattern of green dots.  So if the pink dots disappear even briefly, you will see the green image.

I looked at the black X for up to a couple of minutes, but the pink dots never went away.

Here's another one...

Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't  mttaer in waht
  oredr the ltteers in a wrod are; the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist
  and lsat ltteer be at  the rghit pclae. The rset can be a total mses and you
  can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm.  Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos
  not raed ervey lteter by istlef,  but the wrod as a wlohe.

Amzanig, eh?

No wonder it's so hard to proofread and not still miss a typo.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2005, 04:40:49 PM »

I noticed that if you make the entire page go up and down really fast, everything is a blur.  Huh

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
Ed Nesselroad
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2005, 09:36:16 PM »

Old time newspaper types taught newbies to proofread by reading backwards...end of copy to beginning.  That way the brain is less likely to fool itself by "correcting" mistakes.  It's more tedious until you get the knack but much more accurate.  Something a ham might appreciate...like copying behind.
KA1ZGC
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2005, 03:31:26 PM »

I recently saw the same thing on some web site, except the flag was a Union Jack. 

Notice the circle with the pink dots, if you look away from them even after looking at it for only a second or so, you see a circular pattern of green dots.  So if the pink dots disappear even briefly, you will see the green image.

Two words: negative feedback.

Try it with a profile picture of Timtron. Stare at it for about five or six seconds, then look suddenly at a white piece of paper, and sure enough: there's Barry White with a gray beard.  Grin

I looked at the black X for up to a couple of minutes, but the pink dots never went away.

Better check your optic lobe for a bad cathode resistor, Don!  Wink

--Thom
Kazoo Amplifier One Zinc Garbage Can
Herb K2VH

Pennsylvanian shaking hands with Yankee

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2005, 07:50:22 PM »

The monitor on my first computer was monochromatic--specifically GREEN.  After working on it for a while, I noticed that everything I looked at away from the screen was pink.  Same phenomenon in reverse.  A physiological psychologist friend of mine said that was because red asnd green are complementary colors.  And here I thought they were Christmas colors! Cheesy

K2VHerb
First licensed in 1954 as KN2JVM  
On AM since 1955;on SSB since 1963

"Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar."
--Edward R. Murrow
N2udf
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2005, 04:57:52 AM »

Herb,
 I understand those colors are very popular in San Fransico......Lee
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015