The AM Forum
May 04, 2024, 11:32:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: new stove  (Read 4279 times)
WA1GFZ

« on: October 25, 2005, 10:08:16 AM »

Sears has a new stove cook top that is an induction heater not convertional heating element. I just saw it this morning. XYL can now can strap from the kitchen. I don't know the operating frequency or how RF is generated.
I'm running the XYL's stove on 75 AM and cooking lunch at the same time.
AH move the shack to the kitchen Think of the possible set ups....gfz 
Paul, K2ORC
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2005, 10:17:46 AM »

Sears has a new stove cook top that is an induction heater not convertional heating element. I just saw it this morning. XYL can now can strap from the kitchen. I don't know the operating frequency or how RF is generated.
I'm running the XYL's stove on 75 AM and cooking lunch at the same time.
AH move the shack to the kitchen Think of the possible set ups....gfz

Cheap aluminum pots and pans from K-Mart produce space shuttle audio.  Saucepans handcrafted from oxygen free copper are hi fi.  Expect to hear you on the What's For Dinner Net.   

Go Duke![/b]
Rob K2CU
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2005, 10:28:32 AM »

HI Frank,

Unless thay have done a lot to quiet these things down, watch out! The work by conrtolling the AC with what is essentially a light dimmer at many amps. The half wave 60 Hz slugs of energy are dumped into a resonant circuit comprised of the induction coil in the stove top and high voltage low lloss polypropolyne caps, resonating probably around 150 to 300 KHZ.  The bottom of the pot or pan is a single turn winding coupled to the flat spiral multiturn eicitation coil. Upwards of a hundred or more amps at RF circulate in the pan bottom and heat it up due to IR losses. Iron works better than alumiunum or worse, copper for this.

When I was at the toy company in early 80's, I developed an electronic version of the "Easy Bake Oven" that used incduction heating. The prototype used a spiral PCB coil about 4 inches in max diameter, plus then expensive low loss poly caps from ITT. ALso had a standard 10 Amp light dimmer. It would heat up the little tin plated steel pan and cook a little cake in about 5 minutes, instead of the 30 minutes with a 25 W light bulb as was the current product. It even had an LED timer display. It was to be a "Microwave" version of the bulb type oven.  Trouble then was getting the required price point due to expensive caps and makig pArt 15. We used it to make cookies for several months before it was stolen.  It actually produced Class B emicssions....a real no no. Emi filtering was too expensive for a product that had to sell for under $40.

It would be interesting to see how it is done today.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2005, 12:11:28 PM »

but Riley I'm just using this spark rig to cook lunch. I didn't know they can hear me in JA land. OH the antenna just fell off the RX and was resting on the stove.
Glenn NY4NC
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2005, 06:30:45 PM »

QSL OM.. yer stove es putting in gud sigs, 599 in Yokahama!!..

but Riley I'm just using this spark rig to cook lunch. I didn't know they can hear me in JA land. OH the antenna just fell off the RX and was resting on the stove.
Ian VK3KRI
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2005, 07:55:53 AM »

Sears has a new stove cook top that is an induction heater not convertional heating element. I just saw it this morning. XYL can now can strap from the kitchen. 

I have an idea that in some of the IEEE transactions on power electonics I looked through  there were some Class E-ish induction heaters powered directly from rectified mains. 60Hz Hum anyone ?
  Now if they were in the 13.56 Mhz ISM band.....
                                                                                 Ian VK3KRI

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015