The AM Forum
May 04, 2024, 07:03:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SX-17 Dial Restringing.....and my UPS/shipping experience...  (Read 3339 times)
W8KHZ

« on: October 22, 2005, 02:29:59 PM »

Just recently aquired a Hallicrafters SX-17... The main tuning dial string is broken... Does anyone have instructions for restringing an SX-17?  Anyone have experience doing it? Can it be done without removing the front panel??

BTW, this radio was shipped from New York to my QTH here in Michigan. Between the poor packing of the radio by the  shipper and the total abuse at the hands of UPS its a miracle that it was recognizable when I removed it from the box.  It was packed in a box with the radio tipped up on one end and very loosely filled with styrofoam peanuts, bits of styrofoam chunks, pieces of cardboard, bits and pieces of bubble wrap, wadded up newspaper and whatever other garbage the shipper could scrounge up. Needless to say, the radio most likely settled to the bottom of the box early on and had to endure the bouncy ride most of the way here. I knew there was a problem when I saw an "L" shaped  tear in the bottom of the box where one corner of the radio tried to rip through the box on inpact....Well, the end result was the right side of the cabinet was caved in and the rectifier tube had shook loose and lay in pieces on the inside.  Talk about disappointment!!!...... Well.... after looking the situation over for a few minutes and taking a deep breath, I went to work... I noticed that although the side of the cabinet was pushed in, the metal was not creased. So, to make a long story short I carefully took a rubber mallet, blocks of wood, a C-clamp and a lot of patience and slowly hammered and pulled and worked the metal back into its original form. At the end of a couple of evening metal working sessions, I had the cabinet back in shape without marring the original paint, which is in excellent condition. I turned out so good in fact that its doubtful anyone could tell that it had been bashed in. Well, I replaced the 5Z3 rectifier and the filter caps and its now up and running. Needs a lot more work but when its done it should look fantastic!  Phew!!!

Thanks for any input regarding the dial string. I'll keep the board posted regarding  my progress.

Brian - W8KHZ

Currently running a big homebrew transmitter (pair of 250THs modulated by a pair of 810s) paired up with a National HRO-50.  I also run a BC-610-I / NC-2-40D combo which is a lot of fun too.

Catch you on 75M AM!
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2005, 04:47:37 PM »

It could *possibly* be done but would probably be a lot harder than just removing the front panel.  I've done it in an SX-16 (essentially the same radio) and as I recall it was pretty straightforward (that is, a royal PITA but no worse than any other dial stringing).

Outstanding sound from that ol' buzzard by the way.

73 JOhn

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
Steve W8TOW

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2005, 08:39:50 AM »

Brian, I restrung both a 17  & 16, not a problem...very strainght foreward
but restringing the little band spread dial plus the spring loaded light was another
story!
gl es 73 steve

Always buiilding & fixing stuff. Current station is a "Old Buzzard" KW, running a pair of Taylor T-200's modulated by Taylor 203Z's; Johnson 500 / SX-101A; Globe King 400B / BC-1004; and Finally, BC-610 with SX28  CU 160m morn & 75m wkends.
73  W8TOW
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2005, 04:13:03 PM »

Hi Brian,
I can imagine how you feel. It's all in the packing though. You can't blame UPS. I have shipped many electronic things UPS in the USA and even electonics to the Philippines and no incident yet. Minimum of 4 inches of foam or bubbles between the item and the sides and top of the box. Double boxing helps too.
If you purchased from e-bay then give the seller a negative or poor feedback for his lousy packing . Some of the e-bay folks take it like a personal attack when there is even a slightly negative comment about their way of doing business.
Re-stringing a dial cord is never any fun. Do a GOOOGLE search and you might find some info.
just my .02 1/2 cents worth
Fred

Fred KC4MOP
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015