The AM Forum
May 02, 2024, 11:25:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Interesting gear  (Read 5358 times)
N9NEO

« on: October 18, 2005, 10:01:23 AM »

I'm not familiar with this piece of gear, but I would like to hear any comments.  Looks like a nice piece maybe for collector.

regards,
NEO

I'd rather be anatomically correct than politically correct!
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2005, 12:10:47 PM »

Huh No link or photo, Bob

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2005, 06:49:00 PM »

I've always wanted one. Where did you find it??      klc

What? Me worry?
David, K3TUE
Per-spiring AM'er
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2005, 10:22:01 PM »

The suspense is killing me.  Roll Eyes

David, K3TUE
Bacon, WA3WDR

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2005, 07:57:59 PM »

You know, you never see those any more.

Truth can be stranger than fiction.  But fiction can be pretty strange, too!
W4LTM
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2005, 08:15:57 PM »

My wife just can't see me getting that.
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2005, 08:36:58 PM »

You better watch out. Those pesky Romulans and fiesty Klingons will want to get their hands on it too!

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2005, 08:53:02 PM »

I had one but I sold it at Dayton for $5

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
W1GFH
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2005, 10:45:35 PM »

I'm not familiar with this piece of gear, but I would like to hear any comments.  Looks like a nice piece maybe for collector.

I don't understand why they are considered "collectible", if you compare them to other models that came out the same year, they are junk. Although you will find people who swear by them. I know a guy who claims he had one hooked to a Gotham vertical and used it to work DXCC in 3 weeks. But even if you do the HLR mods to it, it is still quite sluggsh. As far as I am concerned the manufacturer cut corners in the design in an effort to save money but ended up compromising the performance. And every one I have ever seen has blown the 48K resistor in the power supply. My advice is, save your money.

Wink
Ed KB1HVS

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2005, 02:32:04 AM »

You better watch out. Those pesky Romulans and fiesty Klingons will want to get their hands on it too!
  They already have a cloaking device. Cheesy

KB1HVS. Your Hi Value Station
Glenn NY4NC
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2005, 10:13:58 PM »

Is that a polar bear in a snow storm??

Ian VK3KRI
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2005, 02:42:15 AM »

I don't understand why they are considered "collectible", if you compare them to other models that came out the same year, they are junk. Although you will find people who swear by them. I know a guy who claims he had one hooked to a Gotham vertical and used it to work DXCC in 3 weeks. But even if you do the HLR mods to it, it is still quite sluggsh. As far as I am concerned the manufacturer cut corners in the design in an effort to save money but ended up compromising the performance. And every one I have ever seen has blown the 48K resistor in the power supply. My advice is, save your money.

I'd have to agree that they were built to a price, but they do invoke feel of the era. When I was younger I had a couple that I ripped apart to ue the parts.  I really wished I had kept at least one of them , if only for nostalgia. Its like everything else. At some point there just old junk and you see people trying to offload them everywhere, then a couple of years later theyre rere as hens teeth. I hate too think how many are landfill...
                                                                                                       Ian VK3KRI
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015