The AM Forum
May 08, 2024, 05:52:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Good Night, and Good Luck  (Read 6526 times)
K6JEK
Contributing

RF in the shack

« on: October 15, 2005, 08:36:52 PM »

You've got to go see this movie if for no other  reason than to verify the correctness of the props -- RCA 44's, 77's Neumans U47's, tape machines, etc.

I liked the movie a lot.  First, I suppose, because it seems to validate my opinion that once upon a time news people (at least some of them) had integrity and cared about something besides pleasing the sponsors.  I also liked it because I'm bored with movies that are long on special effects and short on everything else.  I guess this makes me an old grump. 

But nevermind that.  You'll like the movie for the stuff.
W1GFH
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2005, 08:53:19 PM »

Ditto on ID'ing movie props. Some years back I almost walked out on QUIZ SHOW when I saw a 1960's Lafayette crystal mic [copy of a DX77) in the 1950's Dave Garroway Show scene. I don't know how many biopic movies I lost interest in after I saw a Shure SM58 in a scene that was supposed to take place in the 1950's. And then there was the WWII movie where Hallicrafters gear was visible in Nazi HQ. Don't get me started....
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2005, 09:03:05 PM »

The props might be correct, but the history was not. Murrow was one of the last in the press to take on McCarthy. Murrow admitted this. Even some of McCarthy's foes were appalled by Murrow's hack job on McCarthy. Murrow and integrity? Maybe not.
Glenn NY4NC
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2005, 10:46:13 PM »

Some years back I almost walked out on QUIZ SHOW when I saw a 1960's Lafayette crystal mic [copy of a DX77) in the 1950's Dave Garroway Show scene.

Ya mean like this one?

K6JEK
Contributing

RF in the shack

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2005, 12:55:48 AM »

The props might be correct, but the history was not. Murrow was one of the last in the press to take on McCarthy. Murrow admitted this. Even some of McCarthy's foes were appalled by Murrow's hack job on McCarthy. Murrow and integrity? Maybe not.
I haven't heard this point of view.  The online descriptions of Murrow and his producer, Fred Friendly, give them a lot of credit for creating the turning point for McCarthy.  For example:

http://www.museum.tv/archives/etv/M/htmlM/murrowedwar/murrowedwar.htm
http://www.museum.tv/archives/etv/F/htmlF/friendlyfre/friendlyfre.htm
W1GFH
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2005, 02:21:23 AM »

Some years back I almost walked out on QUIZ SHOW when I saw a 1960's Lafayette crystal mic [copy of a DX77) in the 1950's Dave Garroway Show scene.

Ya mean like this one?

Yup, that's the one. There were many versions made by Lafayette, Olsen, Argonne, CalRad, Fen-Tone, etc. around the mid 1960's made in Japan and sold for under $10. Today they have become a common film and photo prop for anyone who [misguidedly] wants to depict the 1950's.

Glenn NY4NC
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2005, 10:58:39 AM »

Would you believe these go for big money on E-bay?... I'm not sure why....

PS.... I have the Olson version.  Cool

Ed KB1HVS

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2005, 12:13:11 PM »

Ya mean like this one?

Yup, that's the one. There were many versions made by Lafayette, Olsen, Argonne, CalRad, Fen-Tone, etc. around the mid 1960's made in Japan and sold for under $10. Today they have become a common film and photo prop for anyone who [misguidedly] wants to depict the 1950's.

I have a Fen-Tone version. Dual crystal mic. Rather tinny but not too bad.

KB1HVS. Your Hi Value Station
W1GFH
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2005, 01:27:03 PM »

I have two "Argonne" versions which I got at Deerfield way back in the day. Back then, Old Buzzards unloaded their Japanese xtal mikes on JN's like me for $5 each.

* mikes.jpg (174.17 KB, 905x347 - viewed 630 times.)
K1MVP
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2005, 03:20:59 PM »

Ya mean like this one?

I have one of these mics given to me a while back by an OT who is now a SK.
It has no "markings" or name on it,--I have never used it,--I may just try it
sometime and see how "good", or "lousy" it sounds on the air.
                                       73, K1MVP   Smiley   

W1GFH
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2005, 04:03:45 PM »

73, K1MVP   Smiley 

The hi-Z crystal elements inside can sound kind of D-104-ish at best, carbon button-ish at worst.

A quick and reversible mod is to mount a RS electret element in there using a blob of Silicone Caulking goop. Enough room for a 9V battery too.
K1MVP
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2005, 06:13:34 PM »

73, K1MVP   Smiley 

The hi-Z crystal elements inside can sound kind of D-104-ish at best, carbon button-ish at worst.

A quick and reversible mod is to mount a RS electret element in there using a blob of Silicone Caulking goop. Enough room for a 9V battery too.

Ok Joe,--thanks for the suggestion,--I may just try the RS electet mod just for
the heck of it and see how it sounds. It may not be a Heil mic, but it could
be a "poor man`s vintage" microphonium, hi, hi.
                                          73, Rene, K1MVP Smiley
Glenn NY4NC
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2005, 07:53:32 PM »

Nice collection!!!!

I have two "Argonne" versions which I got at Deerfield way back in the day. Back then, Old Buzzards unloaded their Japanese xtal mikes on JN's like me for $5 each.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015