The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 06:34:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Johnson Invader 2000 Mods and Upgrades by Frank, KB3AHE  (Read 24347 times)
Steve - WB3HUZ
« on: October 12, 2005, 09:01:15 PM »

If you worked the special event AM station at the FARfest (Gaithersburg) last month, you heard a Johnson Invader 2000 transmitter modified by Frank, KB3AHE. Not only did he fix the audio, make the thing transmit 'true AM' (a carrier and both sidebands), he also made it much more stable and easy operate. Well, now Frank has shared his knowledge on this rig with a mondo-mega write-up with info on all the mods.

Check them out on The AM Window Web Site.

http://www.amwindow.org/tech/htm/invader2000.htm
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2005, 09:31:57 PM »

Wow, that is SOME write up, Frank. That is REEEALL ham radio.

Looks like you spent a lot of quality time getting that rig set up right. If I had an Invader 2000, those mods wud get done. That write up will be the Invader 2000 AM modification bible for years to come.  Something like the Tim Tron Ranger mods, etc.

Too bad we don't have a guide like this for each and every piece of AM gear out there.  It wud be so easy. [sigh]

Again, superb job, Slab!!!

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
WA3VJB
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2005, 04:49:17 AM »

Frank -- thanks for taking the time to put this down to paper. I know I've heard you tell the aural version several times, so now you can preserve the rap for posterior, eh ?

Steve, are you set up to include some aircheck recordings of the station that Pam made while we were at the fester?
Paul, K2ORC
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2005, 08:13:51 AM »

As everyone who's heard the Slab Invader knows, this is one great sounding AM transmitter.  Frank, congratulations on the transmitter mods and the article!

Paul K2ORC 

Go Duke![/b]
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2005, 01:41:42 PM »

Cool. The clips would make a nice addition to the article. Send along. TNX.

Steve, are you set up to include some aircheck recordings of the station that Pam made while we were at the fester?

W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2005, 02:35:06 PM »

Nice work Frank. I like the Slab Bacon verses the Invader style of writing especially.
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2005, 02:57:33 PM »

Nice work Frank. I like the Slab Bacon verses the Invader style of writing especially.

I can see the headlines now:

"Slab Bacon body slams Dictator with Invader. Muddy Water Slapper vows revenge."

[Coming to an arena near you - WWF]

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2005, 07:45:41 AM »

The best one I have heard yet came from Tom (ZGC) "Johnson Invader 2000, hmmmm......that sounds like some kind of artificial sex toy"

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2005, 07:58:15 AM »

In all reality, the article doesnt tell the whole story of my trials and tribulations with the Invader. Mine was JS'ed up pretty badly. I also had many crapouts in the struggle caused by the previous "technicians" attempts to make it work. I had it in and out of the cabinet more than 12 times. I actually wore the cover mountong screw holes out in the process. I was one cigarette away from taking a big f@#$ing hammer to the whole mess. However I dont give up easily, and the end result was worth the work. If you have an unbutchered Invader, the article tells exactly what you have to do to make it work right! Thanks for the interest!!
                    The Slab Bacon

WA3VJB
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2005, 09:36:39 PM »

FIle size about 400K, MP3, aircheck recorded at 8Kc off the R390 during GBurg.

http://www.wa3vjb.com/sound/W3F.mp3
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2005, 02:54:48 AM »

and that was with no audio processing gear! Just a straight dynaramic mike. an E-V 611 mercury.

WA3VJB
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2005, 10:46:59 AM »

Here we discuss the Magic Box Frank configured for the event.

http://www.wa3vjb.com/sound/W3F-Switch.mp3

OH, and you'll have to go to Ken, W2DTC's site to learn more about the other activities on site referred to here.
He fully documented the activity along with our friend Joe, WA2PJP:

http://www.wa3vjb.com/sound/W3F-Horn.mp3

Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2005, 06:48:23 PM »

Yo Slab,
          Fantastic article on your adventures of and mods to the "I2K". By the way you got it to work and sound it was worth it.

Talk about having sweat equity in a rig!!!!
Best Regards,
                   Joe N3IBX

Joe Cro N3IBX

Anything that is Breadboarded,Black Crackle, or that squeals when you tune it gives me MAJOR WOOD!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015