The AM Forum
April 16, 2024, 02:34:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: League Misses Boat - Good Press Goes Elsewhere  (Read 17788 times)
WA3VJB
« on: October 06, 2005, 08:28:07 AM »

Once upon a time, the following story would have been a ham radio tale.

But as the group in Newington fritters away its federal grant money on "training" the typical overweight undermotivated "ham," it is failing to use that money to bridge ham radio techniques and wireless computer networking.

Get a load of this New York Times article from yesterday.
The ARRL could have been recruiting guys like him by training outsiders in ad hoc communications techniques, and probably sign him up for a ham license along the way.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/10/05/technology/techspecial/05belson.html
Paul, K2ORC
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2005, 08:53:10 AM »

Tut tut.  You must learn to look on the bright side, Paul.  We still have the bandwidth proposal to look forward to, and the ARRL may be able to make a few bucks by marketing a new certificate:  WAD (Worked All Disasters).   

Go Duke![/b]
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2005, 10:29:36 AM »

From the article, "These wireless networks are being pushed by an informal group of unconventional technologists whom Mr. Dearman tapped into after the storm. "

I don't see the ARRL recruiting these types of people, under almost any circumstance.
W1DAN
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2005, 11:42:31 PM »

Hi All:

Being born and raised in New Orleans, I have been very saddened at what the League has not done or has done late in the Katrina disaster.

In the first week of the disaster, I only heard the Salvation army net on HF. I went to the ARRL page the first and second weeks of the disaster and saw self promotional articles about how well the ARRL was doing with the hurricane. No real info for those affected or for volunteers looking to help. That came much later (after I sent an e-mail begging for real onformation volunteers or affected people could use to the Prez, VP and emergency manager of the ARRL. Only the emergency manager replied). Late in the second week they finally started an info page (next to the main self promotional page!).

A friend, WD5BJT, lost EVERYTHING in the hurricane and has no insurance. He is now living in a trailer. I called ICOM and asked if they had any B-stock radios he could use. They said they gave a bunch to the ARRL for the hurricane, so I called them. They had no radios to donate.

Seeing no help from the ARRL, manufacturers or Ham Radio Outlet (they would not even give me any discount!) I bought him a Yaesu FT857D, mobile antennas for HF, VHF and UHF and sent some homemade dipoles, Rigblaster, Bencher paddle and other supplies. Since then I have received many cash donations from hams in my local radio club.

I am also no longer a fan of the Red Cross. Long story. It is showing up in the media.

This hurricane shows a major change from the ham radio of the past. In hurricanes of the 1970's and 80's, I remember dynamic ham involvement with emergency comms and close connection with the Red Cross. While I see many good volunteers helping now, I also see major holes. The Red Cross has divorced itself from ham radio in many ways. They cannot even communicate with their various camps.

I have been watching the media alot and have seen very little about ham radio. In the media's eye, we are no longer the ones to rely on for communications. We are invisible.

Dan
W1DAN
Paul, K2ORC
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2005, 09:34:01 AM »

In the nick of time!  The ARRL has hired its very first membership manager, one Sarah Dorsey. 

"Her primary focus will be on developing membership recruitment and retention strategies to increase membership growth. She'll also support member and customer service. While not yet a radio amateur, Dorsey says she's "absolutely" looking forward to the challenge of her new responsibilities, and a ham radio licensing class is on her short list."

Ms. Dorsey was previously a "recruitment marketing manager for a non-profit health care services organization".  Somehow seems appropriate, eh?

http://www.arrl.org/news/stories/2005/10/06/1/?nc=1

Go Duke![/b]
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2005, 07:00:49 PM »

I called ICOM and asked if they had any B-stock radios he could use. They said they gave a bunch to the ARRL for the hurricane, so I called them. They had no radios to donate.

In the words of Dean Vernon Wormer, "I really hate those guys!"

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2005, 08:31:30 PM »

Hi All:

Being born and raised in New Orleans, I have been very saddened at what the League has not done or has done late in the Katrina disaster.

In the first week of the disaster, I only heard the Salvation army net on HF. I went to the ARRL page the first and second weeks of the disaster and saw self promotional articles about how well the ARRL was doing with the hurricane. No real info for those affected or for volunteers looking to help. That came much later (after I sent an e-mail begging for real onformation volunteers or affected people could use to the Prez, VP and emergency manager of the ARRL. Only the emergency manager replied). Late in the second week they finally started an info page (next to the main self promotional page!).

Two days after Katrina came ashore:
NEWINGTON, CT, Aug 31, 2005--UPDATED--Amateur Radio Emergency Service (ARES) volunteers in Louisiana are engaged in the Hurricane Katrina recovery effort, and more are waiting in the wings to help as soon as they can enter storm-ravaged zones. Winds and flooding from the huge storm wreaked havoc in Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama after Katrina came ashore early Monday, August 29. Louisiana ARES Section Emergency Coordinator Gary Stratton, K5GLS, told ARRL that some 250 ARES members have been working with relief organizations and emergency management agencies. Much of the affected areas remain flooded and dangerous, however. As a result, state officials have not allowed emergency or other units to enter the flooded zones, and there is still no communication with many coastal areas.

"If everyone who has volunteered came, we could fill the state," Stratton told ARRL. "But, please hold on. It's going to be a very long time [recovering] from this."

The West Gulf Emergency Net remains active (7.285 MHz days/3.873 MHz nights). A high volume of health-and-welfare requests initially slowed passage of critical tactical and emergency traffic, so health-and-welfare traffic is being moved to 7.290 MHz days/3.935 MHz nights.

The complete story:
http://www.remote.arrl.org/news/stories/2005/08/30/1/?nc=1

A friend, WD5BJT, lost EVERYTHING in the hurricane and has no insurance. He is now living in a trailer. I called ICOM and asked if they had any B-stock radios he could use. They said they gave a bunch to the ARRL for the hurricane, so I called them. They had no radios to donate.

It’s unfortunate that your friend lost his home and equipment in the hurricane. But, I can’t believe that you would expect the ARRL to hand over (or loan) him a piece of donated equipment that was targeted to support all the volunteers providing emergency communications in the Gulf area.

What happened to the donated equipment:
NEWINGTON, CT, Sep 13, 2005--Amateur Radio equipment and supplies now arriving at the American Red Cross Hurricane Katrina relief staging area in Montgomery, Alabama, are being turned around as quickly as possible and heading out into the field with volunteers. A team headed by Alabama ARRL Section Manager Greg Sarratt, W4OZK, has been on duty for some two weeks now, overseeing Amateur Radio volunteer intake and registration and trying to satisfy the ever-changing requirements of the Red Cross and other served agencies. Sarratt says equipment that started showing up over the weekend is being inventoried and sent right into the field as needed.

For the complete story:
http://www.remote.arrl.org/news/stories/2005/09/13/101/?nc=1

This hurricane shows a major change from the ham radio of the past. In hurricanes of the 1970's and 80's, I remember dynamic ham involvement with emergency comms and close connection with the Red Cross. While I see many good volunteers helping now, I also see major holes. The Red Cross has divorced itself from ham radio in many ways. They cannot even communicate with their various camps.

I have been watching the media alot and have seen very little about ham radio. In the media's eye, we are no longer the ones to rely on for communications. We are invisible.

Dan
W1DAN

It’s unfortunate that amateur radio volunteers come in to do a job, 24/7 that maybe in the media’s eyes, in not very glamorous or headline grabbing. Fortunately for the volunteers, when their tour is over, they can return home with a sense of satisfaction that their participation helped in some way.

The ARRL web site, over the last 30 plus days, has had a lot of info on the amateur radio volunteer activities in the Gulf area.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
Art
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2005, 10:45:50 AM »

Interesting . . .

While I was in MS There wasn't much health and welfare traffic to relay to the SA net so we just helped out where we could. True, we couldn't go into the N.O. area but there was plenty to do.

I didn't see the ARRL represented or contributing anywhere in the affected area I traveled.

Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2005, 01:39:55 PM »

Interesting . . .

While I was in MS There wasn't much health and welfare traffic to relay to the SA net so we just helped out where we could. True, we couldn't go into the N.O. area but there was plenty to do.

I didn't see the ARRL represented or contributing anywhere in the affected area I traveled.

Looking over the various forums and the ARRL reports over the past month, there was lots of amateur radio help and support activity in the Gulf area. As far as I know, the ARRL generally doesn’t go into a disaster area with banners flying or handing out ARRL T-shirts, etc. I’m sure they would provide support when necessary, but localized support and coordination is generally in the hands of amateur emergency groups, Section Managers, etc.

Art
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2005, 05:37:05 PM »

Sure Pete. I understand your point. The ARRL doesn't really do anything itself but relies upon others to contribute. They are into controlling the resources that the contributors are provided.

What I see is a lot of talking the talk and not much walking the walk. If hams in the affected area didn't see presence and the folks not in the area don't see ARRL presence . . . it might just be there wasn't any significant ARRL presence. . . Perception=reality and all . . .

Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2005, 07:52:33 PM »

Sure Pete. I understand your point. The ARRL doesn't really do anything itself but relies upon others to contribute. They are into controlling the resources that the contributors are provided.

What I see is a lot of talking the talk and not much walking the walk. If hams in the affected area didn't see presence and the folks not in the area don't see ARRL presence . . . it might just be there wasn't any significant ARRL presence. . . Perception=reality and all . . .

Maybe your new Director and Vice Director can initiate a proposal for the ARRL to develop disaster “jump teams”.

WA3VJB
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2005, 09:42:45 AM »

Pete it strikes me as quite defective that the little group in Newington has not already thought of your idea of "jump teams," all on its own. What are they doing with their time and our subscription money up there?

There are a handful of Urban Search and Rescue Teams around the country that are funded from the same federal pot of money that the League's training programs suck from.  The USARTs have purchased hardware like transportation trucks, self-contained radio systems, supply pallets, and other standalone emergency systems so that they may head into a disaster zone and not, with their presence,  add to the burden of locals.

Hobbyist radio operators could be ready to do the same thing. Instead of people who are paid staff on local fire departments in their "regular" hours, folks like yourself of able mind and body (okay I'm half right) could be trained and ready to get themselves to a location like New Orleans, teaming with other NGOs (non-goverment organizations) with self-contained comms, shelter, and foodstuffs.

To wait until a couple weeks into the disaster is ridiculous, and government officials who expected more from the leadership of the ARRL ought to ask that they be turned out of office the same way they kicked out the Arabian Horse expert from FEMA.

-------

A review of ARRL "news" accounts of ham radio participation

Pete, I have taken a quick look at two of the links you provided to the Newington website, detailing the activities related to Katrina and Rita.  Each account has a stench of propaganda to it.  There aren't many specific things the hobby is credited with, and the headline on the second story is that "Donations" made the difference.

Were those donations more crucial than the actions ofl icensed amateurs?

You know where that's going.

Here's a puzzle:
The best estimate is that some 1000 Amateur Radio volunteers are helping out in hurricane-ravaged areas along the Gulf Coast and at evacuee centers there and in other states.

So what did they do ? You won't find it on the ARRL website.
Maybe I should call the Section Managers, document the sitting-around,  and come up with an expose.
Then again, why bother. The group in Newington can shoot its own self in the foot.

The bottom line of ham radio's contribution to the hurricane response, based on the ARRL site, is as follows:

• WX4NHC at the National Hurricane Center (NHC) to gather real-time, ground-level weather data during storms. NHC forecasters use the reports to help fine-tune their predictions of a storm's behavior

• Ben Joplin, WB5VST, in Oklahoma City, is interviewed by local news media after getting word through to Louisiana officials that 15 people were stranded on a roof there.

• ARES groups throughout the state--and especially in central and southern Alabama--have been supporting communication for local emergency management agencies and the Red Cross. (no details about what if any traffic actually passed)

• Gary Stratton, K5GLS, told ARRL that some 250 ARES members have been working with relief organizations and emergency management agencies. (doesn't say what they're doing. Sitting around?)

• Red Cross personnel were using VHF simplex to keep in contact with each shelter. (no details of any significant traffic)

• Louisiana Section Manager Mickey Cox, K5MC, says he and Benson Scott, AE5V, have been passing H&W traffic (inbound)
  • Hams have been shadowing officials and shelter workers and providing a communication link with the Harris County emergency operations center (doesn't say what, if any traffic passed)
  • W4WLF, in Gulfport, has been volunteering at the Harrison County emergency operations center. (did he do anything?)
  • NQ4U, has been among a group of operators helping to staff a communications/command center for a shelter operation housing 170 evacuees. They've been relaying messages between the shelter site and the Red Cross center. (doesn't say what messages "OK now you're 5-9 plus")
  • 60 miles east of Dallas, ARES/RACES member T.W. Ivey, K5IJT, reported his team has been keeping in contact with the county EOC via VHF repeater (doesn't say what if any traffic passed)

• youthful volunteers from a local Baptist church erect a VHF Yagi for use in Pascagoula, Mississippi. The antenna helped establish a VHF link to Ocean Springs. (doesn't say whether it was ever used for any traffic)
  • New England volunteers were able to take advantage of the newly donated handheld transceivers, HF transceivers and antennas for use in and around Ocean Springs, Mississippi. (isn't that nice)

Pete I invite you to prove me wrong, but it looks like well-meaning hams showed up at this event, a few may have actually passed some significant traffic, but most were just "there" and made no known, documented difference except to provide fodder for the ARRL that "ham radio was there."

A-henh !

W1DAN
Contributing

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2005, 06:27:05 PM »

Hi Pete and all:

My main intention of my previous reply was to state that the ARRL did not react quickly enough and the people at headquarters were not prepared to manage this disaster. While the web site has good information on it now(and propaganda. Please get rid of that junk!), it took more than a week for anything other than propaganda to show up.

In the old days of Camille and Betsy (which I lived through), ham radio and life was much simpler. Hams did their thing and got the credit in the media for it. Today things are much more complex. While I have handled traffic and health and welfare emergency comms, I feel the system needs to be re-designed to satisfy the current needs. The old tricks we know are no longer sufficient.

I have read of the accounts of K5MC, the ARES people, et al.  I have spoken to people in the affected area who were doing the work. They are fanastic and I really take my hat off to them. I believe in ARES. And I do not care how many people are working or not working as long as the job gets done.

One major change on this hurricane is that the local hams that would usually provide emergecy comms had themselves evacuated to save their  lives. I have no problem with that. I also know the town and state governments prevented people from entering these areas. I have no problem with that. One change that should be considered strongly is to have ARES members who live in an un-affected are be ready to go in ASAP. I know many have, but it should be formalized. New technology should be taken advantage of more than it did in this hurricane (i.e merging computer comms  and satellite data with HF/VHF/UHF. Forget voice and CW traffic).

A really big problem I see is the Red Cross's apparent feelng that they can provide communications (and everything else!) on their own, without the help of amateur radio. To me this was obviously not the case as there were reports of a lack of communications between shelters. The Red Cross is obviously overloaded and they do not have the infrastructure to handle this great amount of traffic. The Salvation Army was more dynamic and available to many people and hams than the Red Cross or the ARRL.

As far as radios....

I feel the stockpile of radios that the ARRL has is a real good idea. I was not asking for a radio for my friend from this pile. I was just a little saddened and surprised that ICOM and HRO were not willing to help out and cut the price for someone in this special case of need. In the meantime I have received many cash donations from private hams for my friend. That warms my heart greatly! The ARRL may consider having a member's clearing house so that a private individual who has a radio to donate coule be connected with one in need.

The ARRL is good at self promotion of their own organization. They could have a better media relations group to get our stories on TV, Radio and the papers, where these stories truly help to keep amateur radio alive and relevant.  As this event was so close to my heart, I feel raw organization and planning from the home office would have served us better in the early days. Do the work, then take the credit later. They were (and are) taking the credit for things that individuals have done without havng any real connection with the process.

Thanks for reading,
Dan
W1DAN
W1DAN
Contributing

« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2005, 07:29:44 PM »

More Dan thoughts:

What I was looking for early is:

Who do I contact to place a health and welfare request.
Can I help deliver H and W requests from others in any way.
What cash or equipment is needed.
How are the areas affected (not a radio function).
Can a ham in a non-affected area help from home?
Can I monitor traffic from far away?

Many of these may not be inherent ARRL functions, but I feel the ones that are were started late on their site.

Other than the radios the ARRL is storing and lending out, the ARRL provided little "value added" to the event.

And it may be a good idea to actually have ARRL banners where the ARES groups are. Better publicity in general that may attract the media.

I apologise for my rambling. I am very sad my city is so damaged and that my friend Charlie is in a difficult situation. It is theraputic to type away...

Dan
W1DAN
Art
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2005, 08:06:37 AM »

Hi Dan,

There are at least two sub topics here. They tend to get intertwined and, (in the case of the ARRL, intentionally), obfuscated;

1. The ARRL seems to be quite willing to take credit, on bahalf of the amateur radio volunteers, for services they did not render.

2. The hams that were in the area did contribute but were uncoordinated and that is an area we can improve upon.

The ARRL has become self agrandizing because they need to. Those that don't really contribute need to emphasize every pseudo contribution or allusion to justify their existence. This tends to rankle those who volunteer and/or expect performance from the ARRL in this area.

While there were many hams who contributed, most did not do so from a pure amateur radio communications perspective. Some H&W traffic was passed via the SA net but generally it was a net frequency holding exercise while the hams in the affected area helped out where they could in other disciplines. I found no other amateur operator that was acting in accord or on behalf of the ARRL. . .so my question would be: ARRL banners over what?

I simply packed my mobile with HF and VHF capability and hit the road to the affected area with little or no coordination with others. This is the area I will improve next time.

W1DAN
Contributing

« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2005, 10:03:19 AM »

Hi Art:

Good points and I am glad you did something to help. Thank you!

In an event like this it is easy to play the Monday morning quarterback, as I and others have done. This is part of my grieving process. ARES is a very good operation and I would easily trust them with their organizational skills.

I feel that the ARRL is distanced and not placing an all out emphasis from the new needs of emergency communications in Katrina and is more interested in the self-promotion of the ARRL, not amateur radio as a whole. This is my main concern. When the hurricane hit, they (and other groups) did not take it seriously at first. In the days of Camille, the ARRL's QST had articles about the operations of the local hams in New Orleans and Mississippi who helped out. The QST article did not attempt to say the ARRL did anything. Now they are.

I feel that a goup of Newington volunteers (or even paid!!) could go there, set up an operations center and organize the communications that people like you are willing to provide for say, the Red Cross. Have a banner. Promote it to the public (not us, we know already) Drag in the media in to show them what is happening. To me, that is my membership money well spent.

The when I tell someone I am a "ham", there would be a better chance at their saying "gee, y'all did a good job helping with the hurricane. I saw it on TV, Thanks!".

And we would have maximized out abilities to help the public out.

Dan
W1DAN

WA3VJB
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2005, 01:12:14 PM »

Dan, sorry there's such a personal sense of loss for you in the aftermath of the hurricanes.
Someone here at work has a brother there, whose house is now razed. Awesome disaster.

Regarding our very minor role.:
Art has put his finger on my main complaint about how ham radio in this disaster has been portrayed and mobilized by the group that would claim to represent the hobby.

Unilateral responses like Art's, to get himself down there and on the air, are a symbolic example of the need to step around the moribund little group in Newington. They've really lost it, to paraphrase Dick Cheney, and everyone knows it but them.

W1DAN
Contributing

« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2005, 04:12:38 PM »

Hi Paul:

Thanks for your input. I do agree with Art's opinion. I am also just giving mine as well. I am generally OK about New Orleans, but it is sad all around. I think of the many places that I used to frequent that will be closed because of flooding or the economic impact. I also mourn what we have lost in ham radio over the years.

The ARRL can turn themselves around and do a better job. In many ways they are doing OK as a group, but in this case I feel let down. Some people there do see that improvements can be made, and many do not.

I am sorry about your co-worker's brother. So I guess you can feel some of what I feel.Yuk!

Dan

WA3VJB
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2005, 10:04:02 AM »

N5PZJ makes a good point on QRZ.com about how ham radio has been portrayed.
I hadn't thought of this possibility, but if it's true to any extent at all, it's another Mission for the group in Newington to tackle.

----------
Now, for what was observed by hams who wanted to help was even sadder!  FEMA and Local Emergency Management was sold on their Cell Phones, Satellite Phones, Nextels and 800 MHZ high dollar toys and when they failed, Hams tried to volunteer but were rebuffed, not out of a sense of not wanteding untrained volunteers but no Emergency Manager wanted to "LOOK BAD" in front of Government Officials who wanted the system to work. Lafayette Parish had a great system of volunteers working with their EOC but some other Parishes had no organized Amateur Radio Response.   In my home area, the Nextel and Cell Phone companies had put their service out as a perfect emergency service but it did not work out that way.  The telephony system was bogged down and our switching system went through New Orleans and it was out of service. 

In the past, Parish Officials wanted to depend more upon the Police and Fire to provide Emergency Communications since they viewed Amateur Radio more like a CB Hobby than a serious radio system like the Cell Phone, Satellite Phone , 800 MHZ Trunking, Nextel-Sprint or the commercial systems.  The failure of the Commercial Communications System was a nightmare and the Amateur Community tried to fill the bill on an ad-hoc basis as needed.    More communities will be looking at Amateur Radio as the need demonstrated and "sold" itself. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015