The AM Forum
May 06, 2024, 01:24:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Boatanchor Registry  (Read 15530 times)
Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2005, 03:32:33 PM »

Herb,
       Your 100T's are older and rarer than the 100TH's I have in my HT4-H/BC-610-I, but do you have a pair of Raytheon RK-38's? I have to thank Skip Green, K7Y00 for them. RK-38's were Raytheon's version of the 100T.

My gawd, Joe, you're right.  Your pubes are older than my pubes.  You win, Old Bean! Cheesy

Vertex Herb

Herb - It's not the size or age of the pube, but rather the power that it makes!
Joe N3IBX

Joe Cro N3IBX

Anything that is Breadboarded,Black Crackle, or that squeals when you tune it gives me MAJOR WOOD!
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2005, 03:43:01 PM »

IIRC, the LuLus came from a project Ed did with a ham club down that way (Bell Labs or something?) and grew into the actual production units? I've seen one of the 'club' built examples, a guy over in NH has it. Of the production units I've seen, they were all still in excellent shape. Certainly well-designed and built. Did Ed Ladd ever work with Ed Clegg?

Thanks for posting the picture. Probably the closest I'll ever come to getting the receiver!  Smiley

The ham club was the Morris Radio Club. Ed worked at Bell Labs in Whippany, NJ and Holmdel, NJ. We both worked for awhile in the same Division in Holmdel.
Ed built several mono band transmitter rigs to use on Field Day for the Morris Radio Club. Ed had several of these mono banders at his home when I visited him one time. When we use to have the AM Swapnet on 75 years ago, Ed actually signed in on AM several times to find new homes for these rigs. Pete, N2??? from down the Jersey shore, I believe bought the 75 meter version. The picture below looks like the 6 meter version. It was found at a hamfest in MD. As far as I know, Ed Ladd and Ed Clegg never worked together. The Li'l Lulu project had nothing to do with Bell Labs.

* unknown1.jpg (137.6 KB, 640x480 - viewed 461 times.)

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2005, 03:59:26 PM »

Todd - The "Morrow Castle" was the very last wooden Luxury Liner. It caught fire and moored itself into low tide and burned itself out off the coast of Asbury Park, New Jersey in September, 1934. It seems there was consternation with the crew, etc; and not many people were paying attention to what was going on.
What a shame. It was a beautiful boat!

Joe -

There was a program on about this not too long ago, apparently the years of built up paint and varnish really fueled the fire. And you're right - not only did they suspect a crew member for starting the fire, seems the radio op had an axe to grind and they pretty much settled on him!

The remains of the key are (or were as of 1982) in the collection of Ed Raser, W2ZI. Hideously ugly from a 'pretty key' sense, but very intriguing. Not unlike the telephone they 'salvaged' from the crows nest of the Titanic a few years back, used to place the iceberg call. 

Todd - An Aunt of mine had china that washed ashore from the Morrow Castle "incident". I remember seeing it as a small boy and hounding her for it ever since. Unfortunately she passed away and nobody knows what happened to the china. I really wanted it - I guess it's a quirk in my personality to want something so "macabre".
The radio op an board the Morrow Castle did have an axe to grind with the crew and visa-versa. At that time the ships radio room could be put on automatic alarm and set to 500KC - the Maritime distress freq., so he could leave the radio room unattended for periods of time.

My Aunt told me she was taken to a friend of the family in Cologne, NJ, who was a Ham Op. He was intercepting the SOS from the Morrow Castle and relaying the CW messages to  the people who were in the shack with him. It was her first experience with Ham Radio (she was 18 at the time, in 1934).Much later on when other family members would question my enthusiasm for radio, she always defended me and brought up the Morrow Castle incident. Apparently the Ham family friend contacted the radio op and may have relayed a message or two. 

I'd love to see the special they had about it on television. Do you remember what it was called?

Joe Cro N3IBX

Anything that is Breadboarded,Black Crackle, or that squeals when you tune it gives me MAJOR WOOD!
Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2005, 04:05:18 PM »

IIRC, the LuLus came from a project Ed did with a ham club down that way (Bell Labs or something?) and grew into the actual production units? I've seen one of the 'club' built examples, a guy over in NH has it. Of the production units I've seen, they were all still in excellent shape. Certainly well-designed and built. Did Ed Ladd ever work with Ed Clegg?

Thanks for posting the picture. Probably the closest I'll ever come to getting the receiver!  Smiley

The ham club was the Morris Radio Club. Ed worked at Bell Labs in Whippany, NJ and Holmdel, NJ. We both worked for awhile in the same Division in Holmdel.
Ed built several mono band transmitter rigs to use on Field Day for the Morris Radio Club. Ed had several of these mono banders at his home when I visited him one time. When we use to have the AM Swapnet on 75 years ago, Ed actually signed in on AM several times to find new homes for these rigs. Pete, N2??? from down the Jersey shore, I believe bought the 75 meter version. The picture below looks like the 6 meter version. It was found at a hamfest in MD. As far as I know, Ed Ladd and Ed Clegg never worked together. The Li'l Lulu project had nothing to do with Bell Labs.

Pete - Rich KB2AM has a homebrewski 6 meter rig that looks very similar to the one in the picture. Construction technique os superb and the thing actually works.

Joe Cro N3IBX

Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2005, 06:34:46 PM »

Pete - Rich KB2AM has a homebrewski 6 meter rig that looks very similar to the one in the picture. Construction technique os superb and the thing actually works.

I think Paul took this photo at Frank's after one of the Timonium hamfests several years ago. It looks pretty much like the rigs I saw in Ed Ladd's basement.
I'm still drawing a blank on Pete's call, N2???. Haven't heard him on in years.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2005, 07:04:26 PM »

Paul said:
Your Eimacs are smack.

I've got a matched trio of Eimac 100's, that's right, made before the 100A, the 100B, on up through the recent 100T, and the newest one, the 100TH.

But, lacking a rig that takes them, I've made a dandy set of table lamps out of them.

I feel so insignificant!

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2005, 06:48:57 AM »

I feel so insignificant!

Mike(y),
           Nothing to worry about. NONE of us have an original RCA "lend-lease" rig like you have and furthermore; you're the only one in our group with an original "HoseNose 500" - a "champeen among 'Fone transmitters".

Like I said, It's not the size of the wand, but rather the magic that it makes!

I wuz on 160M last night looking for you. Conditions were deplorable but Dave, K2DK ,Bob W2Zed-M, and Don W2DL showed up. Had a terrific QSO.

Would like to see how your new skyhook plays.

Regards,
           Joe Cro N3IBX

Joe Cro N3IBX

W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2005, 07:18:58 PM »

Joe said:
Would like to see how your new skyhook plays.

So would I. I have to stop by the coup on my way home from my place of employment, (notice I didn't say work!). I have a long piece of coax to get me inside the shack. Then its just a matter of which rig do I wish to use on a temp basis. I need to get that sub-panel installed so I can run power through what is to be 'da shack'. Saturday looks terrible since I have an 8 hour HAZMAT class at said place of employment. We are going over railroad hazards specifically with the engines. CP Rail is bringing an engine down just for it plus I need the 8 hours to fulfill my 16 hour training in order to maintain my certification.

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015