The AM Forum
May 02, 2024, 09:23:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Just a dog?  (Read 9148 times)
Paul, K2ORC
Contributing

« on: September 26, 2005, 11:33:55 AM »

Was he just a dog?  We called him Shuqi and the first thing you noticed were his eyes: dark and deep, a window, as the saying goes, to his soul.  They drank you in and invited you to stoop and pet him.  There was his little face, sweet and trusting, reinforcing the invitation from his eyes.  Rarely did anyone decline the invitation.  He was 8 weeks old when we got him. He was our first Shih Tzu.

Within hours of his arrival in our house, he and my wife Peg formed a bond that strengthened and grew with each passing day.   I loved him, doted on him, spoiled him, but always knew that next to Peg, I was second in his affections.  I didn’t mind at all because of the pleasure it gave me to watch the two of them, always together, her little shadow, his big shadow.   

Across thirteen years and several months, we accumulated memories and moments, none regrettable, none less than wonderful.  He was a comfort when long illnesses and death took Peg’s parents.  He was a joy and a treasure in everything and every moment.   

We got a nephew of his, Bear, a year after we got Shuqi and the two were  together from then on.  In total, Shuqi and Bear spent less than two weeks apart when Bear, a few years ago, had back surgery.  Never kenneled, the two little dogs traveled with us everywhere.  If I’d get on the air in the evening, the two of them would appear, around 8:00.  Shuqi would sit on his little round haunches, waving his paws, asking for the biscuits that I kept near the radios. 

This past Friday it came to an end.  Shuqi had liver cancer and it was time.  My wife held him and I sat beside her as Dr. Collins, a compassionate and wonderful man, administered the sedative that took him from us and opened a chasm that now engulfs all the places he used to be.  He is everywhere and our littlle house seems enormous and empty and time moves with heavy feet. 

We had the gift of last Thursday when we knew that the time had arrived to let go.  We stayed strong, surrounding him and Bear with laughter as we held him, spoiled him, fed him his favorite foods and treats and told him for the billionth time how much we loved him.  We had that night and the next rainy morning to gaze into his eyes and see his little plumed tail, thinned by illness, wagging. 

We travel many roads in this life.  Some are easy and pleasant, others are difficult and muddied by tears.  Along them all, Peg and I were so blessed to be accompanied, for a little while, by a little gray Shih Tzu with deep, dark eyes and the sweetest face God ever made.  Tell me, was he just a dog?

Shuqi  -- May 20, 1992 to September 23, 2005

Go Duke![/b]
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2005, 11:55:22 AM »

Your story brings tears to my eyes, Paul.  So sorry to hear about the passing of your best buddy. It's truly the worst ordeal of life, bar none.

Two years ago I remember your comments to me when my old Yaz, then 14, was dying too. You had mentioned Shuqi was not doing well either.

Since then several guys have told me their own stories.  It's always the same. We are devistated when they go. We dog lovers also have a common bond amongst us

After time passes, it seems the only solution is to get another pup as soon as you can bear it. It hurts to think about it, but a year later it doesn't hurt as much anymore. They are all different and have different personalities, so Shuqi will live on no matter what.

You have my support, just as I had yours, OM.

Tom, K1JJ

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
Herb K2VH

Pennsylvanian shaking hands with Yankee

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2005, 12:04:33 PM »

Paul,

I have tears in my eyes.  That was a wonderful testimonial for a loyal and beloved friend.  No, he wasn't just a dog.  He was a member of your family.

I have never owned a dog, but have had quite a few cats.  One died in my arms after being hit by a car.  Others we have had to take to kind vets, who took care of what needed to be done.  I have never had the nerve to stay while my wonderful little friend was being pllaced into a permanent sleep.  I admire you and your wife for your courage.  None of our pets are "just a dog" or "just a cat" or "just a whatever."  They are our pals.  

When I was stationed in Germany I purchased a beautiful little framed photo of a cat who looked just like the one I had back home.  I bought it in Munich, and it had the following little rhyme printed on it.  I think it applies equally well to dogs:

Mein Kaetzchen ist mein bester Freund,
Dass kann ich nicht bereuen,
Denn wer did Menschen kennt wie ich,
Kann nur an Tier' sich freuen.

Continue to rejoice in Bear!

Auf Wiedersehen, mein lieber Freund,
Herb

K2VHerb
First licensed in 1954 as KN2JVM  
On AM since 1955;on SSB since 1963

"Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar."
--Edward R. Murrow
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2005, 12:09:49 PM »

I have to agree with Tom on the sadness of such times in our lives. When Max's time came, I was useless for weeks and weeks. He was a little Scotty, and  I was also fortunate to be blessed with 14 years of his company and friendship. Took him everywhere I went, he loved riding in my old MGB with the top down, tethered to the handbrake by his leash but having enough line to gets his paws and head up over the edge of the door.

He was the runt of the litter and therefore, always seemed to have some nagging health issue. But being less than perfect myself, it was easy to relate. First his sight went, then his hearing, then he began to howl at night like he was in pain, despite checkups and visits to the vet.

Taking him to the vet the last time and holding him on the table still haunts me, as does riding home afterwards with his lifeless body on my lap. Dad built a good box for him to sleep in, and he now rests in the woods on the hill behind their house, where he spent much of his life. We included his favorite blanket and some of his toys and I wrote a little note in the event anyone should uncover him by mistake someday.

Haven't felt strong enough to try again though, even after 9 years. They are indeed a family member, not 'just a dog' or pet.

My thoughts are with you and your family, Paul.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
VA3ES - Piss-Weak Ed
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2005, 01:01:42 PM »

I have to concur with Herb, K2VH. I've never owned dogs, being a cat-person, but I've been present when animal  family members and friends were put down.  It's heartbreaking, and tears at your soul. I hug my two "children" everyday. (I don't have real kids of my own, so my cats really are my kids!)

No, they're not "just dogs". They're family, erstwhile children, friends... and more.  My condolensces, Paul, I know how it is.
W5AMI
Founder of amfone.net

Poke Greens

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2005, 01:10:15 PM »

Paul,

Same here.  Tears came to my eyes reading your passionate thoughts...

We lost our "Domino" about two and a half years ago.  He was only 10.  We still have two of his little girls and their momma, plus an English Bulldog and another Boston Terrier.  All but the last two mentioned are getting up there, and we refrain from talking about that time that will come.

It is really sad that they can't live as long as we do.  They are really like our children, and we tell everyone that.

I'm truly sorry to hear about your Shuqi.  There are a lot of us that grieve over the death of our pets just like we would a person.  

I know many of you have probably seen this before, but I thought in case you haven't, I would share it with you:

Rainbow Bridge

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.
When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.
They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....  

Author unknown

73 de W5AMI - Brian
Gates BC-1T from KVOC the "Voice of Casper" in WY
Glenn NY4NC
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2005, 01:29:18 PM »

Hi Paul;

A very sad story.... I know exactly how you feel having been there many times over the years. Those final moments at the Vet never get any easier  Cry

My wife and I feel the same way about cats (we call them our "kids") as some folks feel about their dogs. Our cats are all rescued strays. Abused, abandoned, neglected, malnourished, you name it. Some were on death's door when we took them in, some died shortly after their rescue, some made it, some needed extensive medical treatment. They all have their own special story and it isn't possible for me to keep a dry eye when telling each one. Each one holds a special place in our hearts.

Every day on the way home from work, my wife and I stop and feed a local colony of strays. We've been doing this since we first discovered them about 6 years ago. Over time, we've trapped them,  had them all spayed and nuetered (at our expense of course), provided medical attention, then released them. We found homes for the one's we could, mostly the litters of kittens before their parents were fixed. The adults who were able to socialize indoors with other cats are living with us now. The rest are still living outdoors, somehow surviving through the cold winters. Most people don't realize how many stray dogs and cats there are because of man's neglect.. we're trying to help in our own small way..

Sorry to get off on a tangent here...  guess I just wanted to say you're not alone. Some people do feel as you say... "just a dog"  I'm glad not to be one of those people.

Paul, K2ORC
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2005, 03:18:01 PM »

Thank you everyone for the expressions of sympathy and your kind thoughts.  I know we aren't alone and in time we'll gain some peace.  Please give your dogs and cats an extra hug for us tonight.  Thank you again.

Paul

Go Duke![/b]
Joe-N2YR
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2005, 08:08:12 PM »

I share your feelings Paul. It was about a year and a half ago that we lost the little white hamfester dog. I still cannot talk about her.
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2005, 08:30:12 PM »

Sorry to hear about your loss Paul. I doubt I will be as eloquent as you've been, when our dog passes. Hang in there. Our thoughts are with you.
Fred k2dx

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2005, 10:42:56 PM »

No Paul, he wasn't just a dog.....but family. I know that feeling as well, losing a cat last July after 15 years, and several years ago lost another cat buddy after 15 years as well. It's difficult to adjust at first, you find yourself expecting your buddy to still be there.
Sebastian was suddenly affected with a seizure in the middle of the night - but I had sensed for a while that his time was drawing short, no indications at all, just a feeling. When I went to Toronto over Easter he went too, very content to ride in the SUV, having the run of the truck. Behaved perfectly, he trusted that I would take care of him and that's all he needed to know. The border agents were a bit confused (that he was so well behaved and not in a carrier), but decided he wasn't a threat to national security. Sebastian let them know to keep their distance and don't give his human too much trouble!

I can't say anything to make the loss seem any less, Shuqi was fortunate to have been your buddy.

These plaques are nice to mark a pet's resting place:

http://www.vandykes.com/product/02015527/
http://www.vandykes.com/product/02015532/
http://www.vandykes.com/product/02015536/

W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2005, 10:57:45 PM »

Sorry to hear about your dog Paul....

"Mr.Radio Man"

Little broken hearted Sammy
sitting on his Daddy's knee
Listening to the radio
But his heart is breaking so,

Seems the angels took his doggie
any wonder why he cries?

When his Daddy fell asleep
little Sammy boy would creep
to the radio,
and cry...

Mr. Radio Man,
tell my doggie to come back home
won't you do what you can
coz' I'm so lonely

I've been listening in every day
ever since he went away
but no word from him have I heard
........... the angels say

When the sandman is nigh
and to slumber-land I must go,
I'll be at my radio...

And the reason I'm sighing... crying
I'm so alone
Mr. Radio Man
Tell my doggie to come back home.

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
GEORGE/W2AMR
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2005, 05:43:27 AM »

Sorry to hear of your loss Paul.  It's a heartbreaking time.
Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2005, 11:00:45 AM »

Paul,
      My condolences to you and Peg. Both Jocelyn and I understand how you two must feel.
                   Joe Cro N3IBX

Joe Cro N3IBX

Anything that is Breadboarded,Black Crackle, or that squeals when you tune it gives me MAJOR WOOD!
VE1IDX

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2005, 12:54:00 PM »

Damn. Just when I was starting to feel better about Samson. Cry Yeah I'll admit I too have shed a tear reading this.June 16 of this year was the last day for our dog Samson,a mixed breed of half Alaskan Malalute,quarter German Shepard,and quarter Golden Lab.He was a big dog at just over 100 lbs. and was just over 12 years old.He was our "first born". The kids came later.Samson was the self appointed protector of all that he could see from the yard.When the kids came he would lay in what little bit of shade the stroller could offer rather than be 20 feet away in the shade just so he could be near them when we were out around the yard doing something.We all could do anything to that dog but God help anyone else that even raised a hand in jesture around him.He was almost too protective,well not really just too stubborn to back down.He was starting to get lame and we hoped to get the summer out of hime but on the night of June 15 this year a stray dog came into the yard and Samson bolted and then fell half way across the yard.He never got back up.I had to carry him into the house.We made him comfortable as best we could.Gave him all the TLC we could.I even slept on the floor with him half the night.Finally the time came the next morning to take him to the vet.............. DAMN it is still hard! Cry It is no coincidence that DOG spelled backwards is GOD.

I'll leave you all with something I copied from a wall hanging we got during one of our several visits to Old Bennington Vermont.

Tribute to a Dog

The one absolutely unselfish friend that man can have in this selfish world, the one that never deserts him, the one that never proves ungrateful or treacherous, is his dog. A man’s dog stands by him in prosperity and in poverty, in health and in sickness. He will sleep on the cold ground, where the wintry winds blow and the snow drives fiercely, if only he may be near his master’s side. He will kiss the hand that has no food to offer; he will lick the wounds and sores that come in encounters with the roughness of the world. He guards the sleep of his pauper master as if he were a prince. When all other friends desert, he remains. When riches take wing and reputation falls to pieces, he is as constant in his love as the sun in it’s journey through the heavens.

Sen. George Vest,1870

Learn from others mistakes.You will never live long enough to make them all yourself.
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2005, 03:01:08 PM »

Well said, Garth. 

I cannot imagine life without a dog. I've always had one and hope to continue. Of all creatures they are so loyal and faithful. I sometimes think we don't deserve such a creature's affection.

Every day I praise Yaz and fuss over him like he's a treasure. It's something to see when they are young and strong, but then, there's nothing like an old dog too.

Here's a toast to all dogs of the world. They deserve the best we can give them.

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
Dave KA2J
Contributing

« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2005, 07:18:41 PM »

Paul.  I'm so sorry to hear of your loss.  Many of us have felt the deep hurt that you and Peg are now experiencing.  I thought after the loss of my second dog, I would never want to go through it again.  But when the kids were small, we didn't want to deny them the wonderful gift of a forever faithful companion.  Our third dog passed away a couple of years ago and we still miss her.  I think of the happy times and how she was a part of our lives as our children grew to adults.  God bless.

Dave KA2J
Ed Nesselroad
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2005, 09:59:18 PM »

A wonderful story, Paul.  I've had six dogs since 1969 and have just acquired  Chewy, number seven (Tiger, number six, is still around).  Each one's passing hurts more than the last, but each one's living is a blessing.  Dogs truly are the only love you can buy.  As the old adage goes, may we all be as good as our dogs think we are.

N5RLR
Extra With A Side Of Fries

Supremely Lurking

« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2005, 12:21:23 AM »

My condolences, Paul.  A dog or cat just isn't a pet, he/she is a member of the family.

There have been quite a few dogs I have known over the years, who succumbed to age, illness or accident.  I miss each and every one of them.  They were playmates, friends, companions, protectors.

After reading this thread [after I stopped choking up] I just had to hold my little Shih-Tzu, Mandie.  Given all her little "personality traits," shall we say...I woundn't take anything in the world for her.

May you find comfort and solace, sir. Smiley

Michael

Licensed Since 1990  Cheesy
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015