The AM Forum
May 02, 2024, 01:58:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Was there major disruption last night?  (Read 4034 times)
w1guh
« on: September 21, 2005, 10:08:34 AM »

About 7:00 PM I, and others, found our cell phones to be useless.  We all had plenty of signal and could dial, but couldn't hear diddly.  I was about to blame the companies til I realized that it was probably related to the recent solar activity.  Wow.  I didn't know it could louse up line of sight signals like that.

Paul
Glenn NY4NC
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2005, 12:20:39 PM »

Solar activity would have no effect on short range. point to point signals in the 900mhz region.

About 7:00 PM I, and others, found our cell phones to be useless.  We all had plenty of signal and could dial, but couldn't hear diddly.  I was about to blame the companies til I realized that it was probably related to the recent solar activity.  Wow.  I didn't know it could louse up line of sight signals like that.

Paul
W1UJR
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2005, 02:39:33 PM »

Paul

Don't think so.

160 meters was full of QRN, or "Old Man Static" as they say in the good old days.
Did not bother to check into the GHN, even local Maine stations nearly uncopiable.

75 was solid, had a nice low power QSO with K1MVP on just 25 watts at 8PM.

As Glenn mentioned pretty hard to disrupt high band stuff unless you have some real radiation.
Most likely a carrier problem with the fone Co.

Ed KB1HVS

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2005, 05:16:56 PM »

Paul

Don't think so.

160 meters was full of QRN, or "Old Man Static" as they say in the good old days.
Did not bother to check into the GHN, even local Maine stations nearly uncopiable.

75 was solid, had a nice low power QSO with K1MVP on just 25 watts at 8PM.

As Glenn mentioned pretty hard to disrupt high band stuff unless you have some real radiation.
Most likely a carrier problem with the fone Co.

Bruce. You  say a carrier from the fone co. I get a carrier on 40m 7255. about 3 or 4 kc wide. What type of equipment do you think the phone co. uses to make that type of carrier? I have walked around the hood with a portable sw receiver but I cant pin it down.

KB1HVS. Your Hi Value Station
W1UJR
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2005, 06:21:33 PM »

Bruce. You  say a carrier from the fone co. I get a carrier on 40m 7255. about 3 or 4 kc wide. What type of equipment do you think the phone co. uses to make that type of carrier? I have walked around the hood with a portable sw receiver but I cant pin it down.

Sorry OM, my post was not clear.
I did not mean "carrier" like "carrier wave" as in YeAM, intended the dial tone - no service connection to the telephone network.
Ed KB1HVS

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2005, 02:22:23 AM »

Sorry OM, my post was not clear.
I did not mean "carrier" like "carrier wave" as in YeAM, intended the dial tone - no service connection to the telephone network.
  errr. My trail gone cold. 

KB1HVS. Your Hi Value Station
w1guh
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2005, 03:00:10 PM »

Yea, it's kinda hard to believe that solar stuff would disrupt LOS 900 Mc. stuff, so I'm baffled.

The specific symptoms were...

I could dial, and my call would go through, but I couldn't hear anything.  After a few minutes it got a little better and  I could just barely hear what was coming back at me.  Then, a few minutes later it was all OK Fine.

Undecided

But I've read, with some skepticism, that solar stuff can even disrupt electrical power transmission.

Does that really happen?

Paul
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015