The AM Forum
May 02, 2024, 11:07:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gatemouth Brown  (Read 3459 times)
Paul, K2ORC
Contributing

« on: September 12, 2005, 01:51:31 PM »

Musician and singer Clarence "Gatemouth" Brown, died this past weekend in Orange, TX.   

Brown, who had been battling lung cancer and heart disease for the past year, left his home in Slidell, LA ahead of Hurricane Katrina and was staying with family in Orange.  Brown's home in Slidell was destroyed by the hurricane.

Brown was an eclectic artist.  His music, live and recorded -- some 30 albums in all, including a 1982 Grammy winner --  ranged widely, featuring Zydeco, Cajun, jazz, country and blues.   

Gatemouth Brown was 81.

Go Duke![/b]
N1IDU
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2005, 03:07:41 PM »

A sad day... Had the pleasure of sitting in with him once on bass - I could NOT keep up!
A true powerhouse of talent that knew no bounderies, and a great guy. Gatemouth, R.I.P. Cry
W5AMI
Founder of amfone.net

Poke Greens

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2005, 03:34:27 PM »

I loved his Cajun gigs...Sure hate to hear about this.

73 de W5AMI - Brian
Gates BC-1T from KVOC the "Voice of Casper" in WY
Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2005, 06:52:16 PM »

Paul,
      Sorry to hear about his demise and many thanks for posting the news. I have a few blues 78's from the late 40's or early '50's by him and always thought he was pretty good.

Best Regards,
                  Joe N3IBX

Joe Cro N3IBX

Anything that is Breadboarded,Black Crackle, or that squeals when you tune it gives me MAJOR WOOD!
W2JBL

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2005, 08:06:39 PM »

i was deeply saddend by the news of Gate's passing. he was a big influence on me and helped me bridge the gaps between western swing and early electric blues. Gate was one of the very few remaining first generation of electric guitar players, and sometimes still played in the style of Charlie Christian. first time i saw him his hot fiddle sounded like something from anonther galaxy! wow, what a performer he was! i did meet him a few times, but unfortunately never got the chance to play with him, it would have been a high point of this whiteboy's career.
73's Gate- yer going to the big jam session in the sky, which i am told is being led by Basie and the Kansas City cats- swingin' the blues...

Ed KB1HVS

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2005, 02:24:49 AM »

The first time I ever heard Zydeco nusic was a record with him on it.  Great talents are passing on . RL Burnside recently moved on.

KB1HVS. Your Hi Value Station
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015